Options

New boy in the club

2»

Comments

• Options

OK, I'll admit it - I've posted a few times in this forum, but only got around to signing up yesterday...

Been looking at the photos from Windsor, and now I'm feeling very intimidated, because you all look way fitter and quicker than I am. Is there an Unofficial Forum Running Club For Slow Bloaters anywhere???

• Options
    Mr A, it's for everyone and every ability. I also (along with Foxy) thought it a good idea we pin our nicknames to our backs (lke race numbers) at big meets, so we all know who we all are.
  • Options
    Hello, just thought I'd be polite.
  • Options
    BarklesBarkles ✭✭✭
    Monique, it's been ages. Hello.
    Caz, thee IS always a dodgy undertone with PB. That's why he fits in so well with the rest of us.
  • Options
    Barkles, I know, it wouldn't be fun without the smut.
  • Options
    EP, Brighton is a cert for the nicknames.

PB, go on admit it, you are a smutty boy.
  • Options
    sitting here chewing on a pret a manger pasta salad,blowing my nose about every thirty seconds and contemplating an 18 miler including the boat race course first thing tomorrow morning.signed up for the club,ordered my vest yesterday and sent the cheque today,so now delighted not to be the junior pretty soon i'll be a founder member at this rate...the feeling of needing to belong being gratified helps to offset the paranoia of being a fat novice of 38 with sore ankles....
    andy,there is a rendezvous planned for new york,if you go over to that thread and email oldbones(memo-must find a witty nickname)he's coordinating a meeting around the pasta party the night before....and
    this thread can't be too smutty if its getting through our highly politically correct firewall.....
  • Options
    Had to get up at 6am to work on something I should have done yesterday and the day before. But spent so much time on here I didn't do it. Still haven't worked out how I'm going to fit in this weeks long run. Driving to Bolton tomorrow morning, driving back from Bolton on Sunday morning!!! Snicks is p****d off!!
  • Options
    Sorry, probably not the most apt place to post my ramblings and annoyance about this forum and how much time I waste on it.

Welcome one and all to this wonderous webby world - look forward to meeting you all.

Caz - I pinned my name on my shirt at Windsor! Saves time with intros etc...
  • Options
    Andy Munroe

I can't e-mail you about the forum meet in New York, so e-mail me from this post if you want to be included on our list.

Around 20 of us are going that I know of so far. If you e-mail me I'll send you all the details.
  • Options
    Hello Barkles, just been out for my lunchtime run, Friday is the only time I manage it, hill reps in the sculpture park between 2 Henry Moores, Reclining Lady and another one I don't know the name of.
  • Options
    Hey i want to join in too.
    In the last two weeks ive dabbled with the forums and now have a rare afternoon off and have logged back in again.
    There is a definate need for 'forums anon'
    Good luck to all running GNR im off to France for a well earned rest.Well i suppose i might play golf and sit lazily in the spa-oops sorry daydreaming for a moment there
    LTx
  • Options
    Get out now, whilst you can. Don't stay too long. They get in your head. No escape. Help
  • Options
    Snicks, I never noticed, but I did spend most of the afternoon eyeing up the blokes running!
  • Options
    Looney: you need 'First thoughts on waking' elsewhere in this section. All the addicts are meeting there!
  • Options
    HI to all the new guys from the wolf pack! (Regulars, I'm not new I just changed my name!)Like everyone else has said - this is VERY addictive. You've been warned.
  • Options
    I think I have just logged onto the site, I am 8 hours behind the UK so any replies I make will be a little behind all others. Thanks for the welcome anyway!
  • Options
    By the way Lizzie B, how long have you been in Iceland?
  • Options
    Hi Karen; I've been here since May, although Mr B moved out here last September. We're out here until summer 2004. Fantastic place, utterly beautiful, and every day is an adventure... Not looking forward to the long dark days of winter though! (Although we do live in Iceland's largest ski resort so the opening of the - floodlit - ski slopes in January will make the winter a lot more bearable!).
  • Options
    Sounds nice, over here in Bellingham we have one of the longest ski seasons in the USA (if you believe the hype!). I already have my snowboard at the ready, plus Whistler is only two hours drive away. I think I am sorted! What is the running like over there?
  • Options
    Just joined too. I'll probably get a vest soon when I have a few quid spare. woo hoo!
  • Options
    Hi Karen - living near Whistler - now I'm jealous! The ski area here is fab, but on the 'small' side. But lots of powder and a huge half pipe! My board is waxed and ready for the first snows!

The running here is fab - forest trails (lit with streetlights!) which double as X-Country ski trails in the winter; also lots of mountains trails and quiet roads. Here, drivers move over in the road to make room for runners (makes a change from the UK!) and - best of all - hassling or abuse of female runners just doesn't happen!

So what's the running like where you are and - what took you over the USA?
  • Options
    Karen -- wahey!! another girlie boarder woo hoo! :)
  • Options
    Hi Lizzie, trail running is big in this part of the US, it's a bit like running in the lost world! Went out this morning on the 'Interurban trail', very pretty, didn't do the whole route, the hills were a killer! I think I will have to invest in a trail map as they go off in all different directions. The americans are also very considerate when you road run here aswell (the pedestrian is king!).

Over here with my husband (company posting), thought it would be nice to have a year out somewhere like this rather than sitting 9 to 5 in an office in Britain!

Cath, just hoping I don't break anything when i'm boarding!!
  • Options
    Karen - Yup, getting away from 9-5 life (even though I am doing freelance work) has been fantastic! When the ski slopes open ... boarding every day! Luxury! This year I want to learn how to do tricks (so will probably come back to the UK with no teeth, having done lots of face splats).

Karen and Cath - have you checked out www.snowgoddess.com ? Drool, Drool,Drool...