Ride London

1234568»

Comments

• Amazing day, crowd support was great (especially those in the suburbs that had cans of fosters on the go alongside their cereal bowls!) and the closed roads were fanastic to ride on.  Closest I'll ever get to feeling like a pro. 

Dreading the finish line photos after nearly killing myself to get up the Mall in sub 6...

I have a searchable excel spreadsheet for rankings if anyone is sad enough to want it emailed...most of my friends are obsessed so you'd be in good company.

• GP yrs please, i''ll email my addy to you over in Twitter world.

• I see Sally Gunnell did 5.20 or something ... not bad !!

• Whose flag did you ride under FF?!  If you can't find me, I'm about 1500 places and 20 mins above you - a mighty 1 second ahead of Ned Bolting!!image

PS did you see my DM on Twitter?

Sally Gunnell did 5.40, about the same time as FF. Draw your own comparisons... one's an ugly runner, ......

the other is one of the best track athletes this country has produced!image

• 5.40 .. thats not bad at all tho is it !

• Far from it, top 15% of females.

Wonder how much cycling she does or is it just years of running and knowing how to push harder han anyone else.

James Cracknell is a known biker of course, but did 4.36 which is pretty good. Just not quite good enough to beat our own Orange Cannon at 4.35!   image

• i beat boris too!!! My garmin said 6h 17m, which i am super happy with, wanted my result to begin with a 6 something, chuffed (0:

Was in the last wave so had lots of catching up to do, which spurred me on all day! Met some really lovely cyclists along the way, super friendly people. A few others who obviously felt they were competing in the world championship time trial, but that’s cool if that’s how they wanted to go about their day.

Had huge amounts of fun hooning round corners in front of lots of spectators through each of the villages, felt like a pro (defo didn’t look like one). Was dead excited to get to box hill (which is a speed bump and not really a hill) and was happy to fly up it past people on expensive bikes who really hadn’t trained.  

Leith Hill snuck up on me, forgot which mile it was at and didn’t realise i was on it till i started to ride past streams of walking cyclists! Its quite narrow isn’t it? Was a bit overwhelmed by how busy it was with cyclists walking up either side, not huge amounts of room to ride up the middle...

Overall I was really impressed by the smoothness of the day. Fantastic idea to have the start at Stratford, although i had to cycle 15 miles across town at 5:30am (my own fault for staying with friends in west london) it was really easy to get to the Olympic park on the big roads with the new cycle super highway! There was a fair bit of traffic up there @ 6:30am so i am glad i cycled in!  

Also helped that the organisers said on the website for spectators not to be there at the start, there certainly was nothing for them to see other then big queues for toilets and people trying to work out if they could sneak in the earlier wave.

Thought the hubs were mental busy (probably bcoz i was in the last wave) i stopped at mile 36ish? around Weybridge for a drinks/wee stop. Laughed at the tap water in basically jerry cans! The Hub after box hill was HEAVING and luckily my mum was waiting for me at mile 73 with water and snacks.  

My legs had really started moaning by the time i got to mum, had a bar and a gel and knew i was going to have to get my head down to get it done! Thought the last quarter was super fast? Anyone else find that? The last 9 miles must've been downhill with a tailwind as i did that in 22 minutes?

London marathon organisers take note - finishing the event facing the palace and spitting competitors out by the top of constitution hill with zero spectators is a flipping marvellous idea!! I got stuck for about 30 minutes trying just to get to my family at horseguards parade after the marathon last year and then another 30 minutes trying to get away from birdcage walk!!!    

Sunday afternoon was a steady stream of cyclists moving away from Madge's house, no jams at all...... Will defo be entering the ballot (not ballet) for next year (0:

• What a brilliant day, so nice to have closed roads, me and my o-h had a great time took it really easy lots of stops and friendly banter with others, nice easy ride after the rugged hills of Warwickshire, we flew up box hill like it wasn't there image,  even though we had to pass the ice cream man halfway up, and what great support from the locals, saw a pirate jersey in the distance but was way too fast for me to catch.

Really well organised, I'm in the ballet for next year for sure, tights and all.

• That was a brilliant event.  I was really worried about it as I have done nothing at all since my last race (was told you HAD to take a month off).

Did it in the same time as Sally Gunnel - 5 40 - so was I really in top 15% of ladies? - that really would make my day.

• 2900 ladies finished, Sally Gunnell was 385th, so top 13.3%!

• oooo I struggled to find my position - it just gave me my time.

• I have a list of every finisher if you want - just message me your email and I can send it over

• Gladys are you using my data to hit on other women?!

• I'm saying nothing about the Vesta girls I happily drafted for an hour... image

• Don't be too hard on yourself, we had got to at least mile 4 before you first said "did you see that girl's ass?"

• I messaged you Gladys - did you get it?  Thanks for this - my club mates will also appreciate it.

• I'm not sure I want to know where I was  !!!

• Somwhere roughly between 1343 and 1345 image

Which, remarkably, puts you top half !  And you finished in daylight for once!! image

• 'remarkably' !!!

It was my fastest 100 miler ..  just a pity my Garmin chose to have a lie in !