Beachy Head Marathon

Comments

• Awww Bliss you. Where will you be standing. I might need you to pass me a gelimage

• Cheesy - yes - at around 10k mark (9.5 to be exact I believe) just as you come out of Friston Forest heading towards the Long Man.   

depending on how much rain we get this week, I think the open grassy tracks will be fine - they soak up water pretty quickly and stay firm - but the open chalk sections (down to and up from Alfriston) and the covered sections (Friston Forest and by Seaford Golf course on the Green Track) will be sloppy.  the worst bit will be the river bank before the Litlington bridge - that will be a right bog!

any particular flavour/brand of gel SR??  image

• If it's 16c that's definitely shorts weather!

I'm going to wear trail shoes - does anyone think that's a bad idea as I haven't run this before?

Thanks!

• Croc, this will be my third BHM. The previous two have been fine in normal trainers, however, I expect it'll almost certainly be a trail shoes run this time.

Last year there were some helpful pics posted on Facebook a day or two before the run.

Really looking forward to it, but would prefer it slightly cooler; halfway between 16c and last year would be ideal!
  • Trail shoes are going to be a must with the wet chalk, unless you enjoy ice skating that is.

• Thanks Lombster and kallum - I will give the trail shoes a whirl. Any blisters and I know I can blame you two image

• My trail shoes are out ready. Never any question that I wasn't going to use them. Over 26 miles in October you are going to get all sorts of terrain from road to wet grass to a bit of mud. Only if it had been really dry for weeks would I even have considered road shoes.

• Really looking forward to this event, last ran it in 2009. Hope everyone has a good run and its not too wet on the day !

• Matthew - hope it not as muddy as 2009 image

• QBQB ✭✭✭

This is more like it! It didn't seem like BHM week without people discussing the weather and trail shoes or not!

I do remember 2009 well - my first year having had people rave about this course to me and couldn't barely see a thing! I also didn't have trail shoes at that time but fortunately the mud was deep enough that I didn't slip that much!

As ever, really looking forward to this...

• I've been out of the country for the past 4 years so this is my first BH since 2009 (I've done it 8 times previously including the Seven Sisters events). I'm a bit bemused by the need to preregister and get chip timing. What on earth is that all about? I'm hoping that the event turns out to be the same as I remember but it does seem odd. Also strange that an event that was specifically created for walkers rather than runners seems to have put them very much in a secondary role now and a bit of a shame.

I've always managed to break 4 hours at this one (sub 3:30 once) but lack of running over the last few years tells me that 5 hours might be a more realistic target this time.

• Ed - it's under new management now (well, not quite, it's still run by Eastbourne Council but different people - see a post of mine on previous page) who are trying to drag the event into being a money spinner for the council.  if they can't raise council tax fees (which I'm happy about as a local) then they have to find other means and this is one.

but essentially it's not changed for runners - same course, same aid stations, same views (weather permitting etc) - all the same boxes being ticked but now with chip timing as well to provide more accurate results. 

• I have had it confirmed by someone on the Beachy Marathon FB page that the original instructions did say that there was to be a 5pm cut off.  It does not inspire confidence that the new person in charge was unaware of this.

• FB - I'm glad this event is still going. It's still good value with the food you get on the course and at the finish.

• I'm really looking forward to this event now that it's approaching so quickly.  I haven't run long since the Richmond Park Marathon earlier in the year, which whilst it had hills they weren't on the same scale as I'm expecting on Saturday.

Unfortunately I don't have any trail shoes so will have to use my road running shoes which if they get ruined on the run will be a great excuse to buy some more hopefully a bit cheaper at the end of the season.  Hopefully wont be too much of a hinderance.

I'm sure I also read somewhere that total climbing is over 3500 ft; higher than Mount Snowdon...wow image

• Z - if you can get some trail shoes before Saturday, I don't think you'll regret it - you'll be sliding all over the place in road shoes and will probably go arse over tit a few times.....

and yes - total climbing is about that - it's more undulating than a straight up and down but it all adds up to making it hard work as your legs are constantly challenged

• I went arse over tit at the muddy river crossing in 2009. Got rescued by 2 lady walkers ????

• Hope they managed to get your arse and tit back the right way roundimage

• So plimsols are not the best thing to pack then ??

I think this will be my 7th Beachy and the least trained ... oh well   image

• My fourth and I'm still having shoe dilemmas. image

• My first image and I only have one pair to choose from image but they are trails

• HC we could tie a spare pair together and string them round our necks .. that wouldnt be annoying at all  image

• Only ever done it in road shoes. It was nightmare in 2009 thou. As I've had PF in my left foot since last year, so will stick to road shoes.

• TG - get some Hoka's - cured my PF that I had last year. and they're mainly designed for trail use although they have a road version now.

at least today's sunshine should dry some of the open sections - the wooded bits will still be soggy though - and it's forecast to piss down tomorrow.

• FB - my PF is almost gone these days, but don't want it back like before.

• so get some Hoka's - that will also stop it coming back as I have found

• The Seven Beasts are looking meek today. I wonder how they'll look on Saturday! image 

The paths along the Cuckmere here aren't too bad, so hopefully it's the same upriver. Should be quite firm, and, with a lovely S-W wind, we'll be blown home in record time. image

/members/images/378784/Gallery/sevensisters1small.jpg

• 17c, 25 mph wind and not much rain was last night's forecast. Today would be a lovely day for it. 

• Hang on. 0% chance of rain, 25 mph wind and 18c. 

• This will be my 1st Beechy Head. More concnerned about the wind than the rain. How strong/ problamatic is a 25 mph win? I am running with a group of 4 from my club. Wev'e all done several marathons this year including teh South Downs & wil be waking up the hills and aiming for a 5.30 finsh. The sub 4 hours can be on the roads!

Have some trail shoes,but, not convinced by the additional grip but prefer the support of ordinary trainers. As I am not going hammer and tongs what would you recommend?