Beachy Head Marathon

Comments

• Well, at least it wont be a 'freeze your bits off' wind image 

At 25mph you could always hook a kite up for the up hills assistance ...

• It was impossible to run on the downs from 10 to 12 mile section last year.

• Why was that Tracey?

• Alistair road shoes are usually fine for Beachy. There is a short bit through some woods that can be really muddy if it's been raining, but the rest is very runnable in road shoes, lots of people wear them. Best to be comfortable imo

• Although wearing my comfy trail shoes, I absolutely agree with B. Go for comfy, especially if you are going to be out there a long time. Road shoes will be fine. 

• Good to hear that road shoes it will be. 

• Sussex Runner - in answer to what Tracey said - there was an incredibly strong headwind last year that seemed to deliberately circle round and meet you coming back as well as going out  but it was particularly forceful in the section mentioned.

• We are expecting a tailwind for the last few miles this year image

• In my experience a bit of a breeze on this course is a good thing. You tend to get a good following wind over the last few miles which always seems stronger than any headwinds earlier.

I've done this several times in trail shoes and road shoes and there's not too much difference in my experience. I did it in entirely grip free racing flats one wet year as they were the only shoes I had at the time and I did struggle over the first few miles on the short, wet grass with a side camber but later on and in the muddy sections I was fine. Best not to stress too much about it.

• The weather has changed massively this week and looks like we're going to be lucky to have the weather tomorrow rather than what's to come a day or two later! A tail wind over the b!tches will be helpful too, and I can't imagine the stretch 10-12 miles can be any worse than last year!

I was certain I'd be wearing trail shoes given the rain that was forecast earlier in the week however I'm going to take both runners and trails and see what it's like when I get there. As Ed McK said, best not to stress too much about it, but I just won't be able to help myself in the lead up to the race! It's just one of those things!

• helly dhelly d ✭✭✭

Weather looking good though suspect it will be squishy underfoot. anytime you come down from the Downs .Hybrid / light trail shoes for me as ever.

6th year for me. Looking forward to my pre-race fish and chips. image and possibly a swift half...

• Right, decision made, I've opted for trail shoes image 

• The start is not muddy ????

• No Tracey. It starts on a roadimage

• I have 2 pairs in the car .... I might wear one of each and hop when I need to

• Trying to decide if I need the backpack or not. What's the score with food/water en route?

• The checkpoints are really well stocked, all sorts of goodies to eat and water of course. Quite a lot of people do take a hydration pack, I did when I did it and if I did it again I think I'd take a hydration pack .. thiugh of course it deends how long you are planning on being out there ..

• There are water stations and food stations well stocked. Probably about 4 of them along the course. Personaly I'm taking my own drink and gels though. Needs a big word but I prefer to drink as I need it and control what I use to refuel.

• How many people who finish the Beachy Head Marathon are going to say they ran it!

Of course not!  This is a marathon doers marathon, not for marathon runners.

so what the hell are they playing at with cut off times.

Bear B Hind, represents all us older competitors, please let us play.

image image image

• Second Beachy Head marathon for me and absolutely loved it....although I swear it had got hillier since last year! image

Wind was a killer at times, although I did very much appreciate it blowing me up that final hill towards Eastbourne!

Came in at 04:51:33, 20 minutes faster than last year so was over the moon with that.

Brilliant organisation, mashalling and fantastic support on the Downs and some of the villages. Without a doubt my favourite marathon of the year image

• Well Canute, I think the answer is that a fair number of people run a fair proportion of it; I did, judging by the stiffness in my legs this morning!

I'm sorry if you fell victim to the cut-off, but AFAIK it hasn't changed in recent years; 'yes' it would appear it was mooted, but it didn't happen! Let's be honest about it, there has to be a cut-off; personally I think that 1800 is on the edge of what's reasonable as any Search & Rescue would be in the dark as it is.

Sad though it would be for the walkers, I see the *logic* for a tighter cut-off - I do think it would be unfortunate however, because maintaing a pace of 3 mph walking is not as easy as many people think.

The problem is that there realy aren't enough hours of daylight at this time of year, unless the race were to start earlier - and an 0800 start would preclude many people from getting there.

I thought that the event as organised was brilliant; many thanks to all those cheary marshals (and to the weather!)

though
  • barbie that wind at the end was wonderful, I dont think I have ever ran up beachy head at 5 minute mile pace before even if it was only for 20 seconds. The confused look on all the runners around me as they were forced to sprint away because going slow wasnt possible was simply priceless. 

Saw quite a few muddy backs from people who had slipped over in friston forest and at the river in alfriston but think we got very lucky with the weather and what it could have been.

• Loved the support all round the course and the marshalling.

Really good hard event which deserves better recognition. 

• Beachy number 7 for me, it never loses its appeal image

Fabulous wind & weather for the most part

• Great day out, and despite some hamstring cramps and bad tummy, really enjoyed the company, meeting new friends and old, and finishing image The 7 Bitches and Beachy Hell lived up to their name!

Excellent job done by the marshalls, encouraging everyone along the way!

Looking to next year for payback image

I do have one moan tho ... image Why did runners simply dump so many gel packs and cups along the whole route! FFS people, it isnt difficult to hang on till you can bin them, or carry a small junk bag for them. Land owners shouldnt have their property littered like that especially after kindly letting us use it. image /Rant off

• I agree with you Cheesy, no need for litter, though the sweepers do pick it up

• Negative first. yes, I saw a bit of littering and don't like to see it. 

Positive. As we got into the hardest, toughest, mind sapping miles towards the end. The humour and encouragement and inittogetherness of my fellow competitors kept me goin. And when the going got tough the scenery always gave you a lift. 

• Totally agree SLR, the mutual support of not only the runners, but the marshalls and the supporters, really helped get us to the end! How did you do in the end?

• good to see a few of you on Saturday at either Lullington Heath or at the steps before the finish.

thanks to those who said thanks to us marshalls - it's a long day out for us guys as well and we try to be as cheery as we can.

yes - too much littering of gel packets.  we picked a few up from around where we were stood at Lullington - it doesn't take much to leave them with marshalls to clear up as we'd rather do that than have them elsewhere, even though the sweepers come through and collect later.

and - too many ipods for my liking - more than ever before.  yes, I understand why people use them in training but when you have an event like BHM, please leave them at home and take in what's around you.  the environment of BHM is fabulous so enjoy it for a change!

well done to all finishers

but to the guy we told to slow down for the steps or you'd injure yourself - you sir, are a fucking idiot - but I hope you're OK.  we did warn you, as did some runners close to you  - but you didn't listen - and you could have seriously injured yourself but fortunately your head hit the soft verge rather than the concrete.   we don't offer advice for the benefit of hearing ourselves speak - it's to help you guys come home safely.  next time - please listen and act on advice given.

hmm - shall I run it next year??  we shall see if I CBA  image