Race to the Stones

Comments

• Quite apart from the extra, and to my mind exorbitant charges for the coach transfers, what I find totally unacceptable is there being no arranged transport from the finish to a railway station for those without cars.  The suggestion about booking a taxi a week in advance is ludicrous and impractical.  I consider the organisers are in breach of contract and will be contacting Threshold Sports about this.

• Quick update - phoned office direct - spoke to nice young woman - apparently every one is out until the middle of next week organising another event so will not hear from them until then.  Told her that a lot of people were very unhappy, not good PR for an inaugural event.  Said thought they were both in breach of contract and  Trades Description Act by claiming to be the  'Most accessible event for 2 qualifying UTMB points.'  The Pilgrim Challenge is a 2 point qualifier and is much more accessible not to mention reasonably priced and all inclusive.  'Crumbs!' was the reply.

If not sorted am seriously thinking of asking for a refund and doing Druids instead.  The only reason I signed up for this is that I quite like all nighters and I know the Ridgeway quite well.

• I am doing Druids in November as a first stage to getting to know the Ridgeway, so this Race to the Stones fits in between Druids and the Ridgeway challenge. One attraction of Druids is that they sort out the transport from and to the stations.

Am I the only one surprised that there are 600 signed up for this event? On the website it says there are, but that seems a lot of people prepared to run/walk 50km a day for 2 days? Especially when compared to other similar, cheaper events, which are not attracting that many entrants.

• The SVP100, metioned earlier, is also a 2 point UTMB qualifier. You can make up your own mind about whether it's more accessible or not, but the finish is a very short distance from Manningtree station, with trains back into central London taking about one hour.

• There is also the Ridgway 40 in early May.  More ldwa type event.  Bussed from Goring Youth Hostel to start, then walk/run back to Goring.  Excellent organisation and really good value.

• Matthew:  the cutoffs were the reason I didn't enter the SVP100.  I'm now committed to another event, so can't, but if you do consider them flexible then that might be worth making that clear on your website.

Very glad I didn't enter Race to the Stones, now.  I'm single, so have to get myself to and from these things, and the current arrangements would be unworkable for me.  So that's one taken off the bucketlist, which is nice.

• Thanks for the feedback Peronel. We have made a decision not to highlight this on our website, as we would still like people to aim for the cut-offs. We realise that the cut-offs may be challenging for a number of people, which is why there will be a little flexibility. However, we really wanted to avoid people arriving at the finish in the early hours of the morning, after the final trains have stopped running.

I am normally in the same situation as yourself, getting myself to and from many of these races. I usually have to rely on trains, which is why this was one of the key considerations when looking at the feasibility of our event, the timings etc.

After September, we will be in a much better position to ascertain the proportion of runners that are able to complete the route within 13.5 hours. We will then be able to decide whether we formally communicate a more generous cut-off for future events.

• I'm after a refund to as if nothing else I'm simply not prepared to be stranded at the finish for 12 hours after a 100k race waiting for a bus. If I don't get a refund I'm going to complain to the ASA over the false advertising claims. The Pilgrim had free parking, free shuttle to the station and was within walking distance of the station which had direct links to London and was a UTMB 2 point race. They also ran the shuttle from when the 1st finishers got to the end to the last walker. The claims are clearly false that's the RTTS is the most accessible.

• Seconded re complaint to ASA, but I think Trading Standards might be more effective as ASA is only an advertising agencies' self regulating organisation and has no force in law.

• Had an e mail from a Nick Tuppen re transport from the finish and hoping to explain the  'background'image.

• Matthew, I do hope you will relax the SVP cut offs for next year. I would love to do it as I live on the route, but at present I would really struggle to do the time!

• Bear B.Hind wrote (see)

Had an e mail from a Nick Tuppen re transport from the finish and hoping to explain the  'background'image.

What did he say? Any explanation why those runners that finish the non stop will have to sleep in a field overnight waiting for a shuttle bus? image

Has he checked to see if the cab companies have enough cabs for a few hundred people? I have waited ages for a mini cab in London at night how many actually work during the early hours of a Sunday morning in Avebury? I would imagine most are servicing the nightlife in Swindon and not wanting to drive to Avebury for a prospective fare?

• There is just a meaningless self justifying reply on FB. 

• Update - had rather acrimonious talk with Nick where he seemed to imply that the idea of running a shuttle bus throughout the day to the nearest station was somewhat unreasonable and that waiting until 5pm for an overpriced bus to somewhere from which I would then have to get a taxi service to the nearest railway station was ok.

When I mentioned excessive price I was told that I didn't know what was being provided (proper transport would be nice!).  I said that most accessible 2UTB point event was a downright lie - to which the reply was that 'It was close to major towns...image.   He kept on offering me a refund - but I have decided to go ahead as I want to piss them off as much as possibleimage.

• Just seen the final bad joke of this overpriced farce - food concessions will be available at the finish at your own expense!!

• A refund sounds promising I may go for that as I am now so fed up I doubt if I will enjoy it. I see the FB reply says the Sunday evening shuttle was the only way to provide the service which is rather bizarre I'm sure there are plenty of mini bus drivers who would be happy to do the 3hr round trip a few times a day for £375 a trip, even if the diesel cost £75 that's still £100 an hour to the driver!! They could even have got a local cab company to provide a cab share to Swindon at a set fee rather than expect competitors to book a week in advance and then have the stress of getting to the finish in time to meet the cab. The thing is they haven't even asked how we plan to travel so they could have 600 people trying to book a coach or 600 trying to get a cab its just plain ridiculous!!

If you intend to do the non stop the only option apart from sitting in a field for up to 20hrs waiting for a bus is to drive as most will miss the last train on Saturday. If that's the case you will have to get up at stupid 'o' clock to drive to Avebury for 4.30am then sit on a bus for 2 hours, then wait for an hour for the start, run 100k then drive home exhausted on the back of a 100k race and very little sleep the night before. image

When I did the London to Brighton 100k for the BHF I was told by the organisers the £50 entry fee covered all costs to ensure the sponsorship money went to the BHF. They had feed stations, first aid cover and paid staff at all the check points and gave us a lift to the station at the end all for £50! Makes you wonder where the other £70 of this entry fee is going??

• On mature consideration I think I will withdraw - even though I wanted to piss the buggers off.  I would have to get up at something like 4a.m. and pay £20 for a taxi just to get to the London station, then the cost of the fare to Princes Risborough, taxi to start, taxi to Swindon (if they haven't all been pre-booked) train fare home - ridiculous.  Huge disappointment, but on bright side will be able to do Druids with money saved.

• You could of course do it self supported and miss out on a medal but avoid paying £12 per aid station. You could have a lie in and start at a reasonable time around 10am and then finish when the trains are still running on Sunday evening. The Ridgeway is well signposted and a public footpath so there should be no problem there are even water points and toilets http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/Ridgeway/uploads/Water%20points%20and%20toilets%20November%2012.pdf

• Many thanks, had considered it, but am happy to do Druids as I have done it every year since it started and at least I've one 100K beneath my belt for this year.

• Wow. I was half considering entering this dutoto timing. Not a chance after reading through this. I thought The Wall from Rat Race that I'm doing next weekend was expensive but they at least seem to want to put on a good event for everyone (although the busses are terribly timed for the one dayers). I'm glad I found this before wasting my money. Thanks guys!

Does anyone know if there are any other similar events the same day as this as I'm hoping to find something specifically for the RTTS weekend?

• Benjamin Kissel wrote (see)

Does anyone know if there are any other similar events the same day as this as I'm hoping to find something specifically for the RTTS weekend?

http://www.digdeepraces.co.uk/

http://www.challenge-running.co.uk/essex-way-ultra/

• Half the price and in the Peak District. Winner. Cheers buddy!

• Will give this one a misto after reading all comments. Way too much hassle. Thanks for info all. 

• Just to say have now resolved the situation amicably.  Have been sent a refund and they have promised to reconsider transport options for next year.

• I've still not had a reply to an email requesting a refund I sent the weekend, it also looks like the promise of a hot meal at half way for all those entered may also be false! The whole thing is an utter disgrace if you ask me they don't respond to questions on facebook unless its to promote the race paid up people just get ignored. They don't reply to emails, still no news on where the check points will be despite having had months to plan, no answer on the facilities at the finish! If you ask me if they never run a race again it will be no loss.

• I think next year they should ditch the 2 day option as it takes up a lot of time and resources to concentrate on making it a truly well supported 100K non stop for runners and walkers, with better facilities at the end - including changing tents, drinks and some form of food all included in entry price and - most importantly - a shuttle bus to Swindon (one from Princes Risborough Station to the start would also be appreciated).

I think next year they should ditch the 2 day option as it takes up a lot of time and resources to concentrate on making it a truly well supported 100K non stop for runners and walkers, with better facilities at the end - including changing tents, drinks and some form of food all included in entry price and - most importantly - a shuttle bus to Swindon (one from Princes Risborough Station to the start would also be appreciated).

I think its clearly aimed at the 'corporate/charity challenge' market rather than proper ultra competitors so the 2 day option is obviously more appealing and going to get the money coming in. Buses to the stations were promised on their twitter feed but for some reason they decided to go back on that as well as the promise of hot food at half way for everyone. Facebook feed has now confirmed that there will be no facilities to change or rest under cover at the end just water and some portaloos after 100k!! I still haven't heard back and will email them again today to chase up a refund, if I don't get a reply by the weekend I'll be taking legal action.

• I think the lack of shelter at the end is of real concern.  If the weather is bad then waiting around for some form of transport could well lead to hypothermia.  The organisers do have a duty of care towards the entrants and this seems to be being ignored.  Also there has been a terrible lack of transparency over what is actually on offer and included in the entrance fee. 

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

For the cost of the event I would run back just to get some value out of it! image

I think the lack of shelter at the end is of real concern.  If the weather is bad then waiting around for some form of transport could well lead to hypothermia.  The organisers do have a duty of care towards the entrants and this seems to be being ignored.  Also there has been a terrible lack of transparency over what is actually on offer and included in the entrance fee. 

Funnily enough I did a London to Brighton 100k in June and it pee'd down all night and I suffered mild hypothermia and spent hours at the finish warming up indoors with several space blankets (and FREE hot tea provided). I think a 'lack of transparency' is being a tad generous they have deliberately misled people there's no other way to describe it.