First Ultra and looking to the running community for some advise

Comments

• Changes my mind not rising to his bait!

• Go away and troll on other threads.   Just ignore you from now on.

• F.j.b ...sounds like your fitness base is pretty good . what i was infering was that is quite a big jump from 26.2 miles to 100k but not impossible. i did 2 HMs , was going to skp the marathon step but did 1 to bridge the distance to my first ultra. which was 35 miles with a gap of about 16 weeks between them. it worked well as the extra distance was enough but not too much . maybe picking a slightly shorter ultra to start of maybe 35/40 miles and build to an 60miler in autumn? image

• fjb,why dont you boing over to the wannbe thread . we discuss lots of various things there and it saves repeating it

• I don’t think a 100k as your first ultra is too big a jump. However you need to give us more info though -  what sort of time frame are you talking about to train for it?

My first Ultra was 100miles, however I allowed myself a year to train for it. That said I did several Ultra length training runs up to 50miles in that year.

If you are serious about the attempt make sure you allow your body plenty of time to get used to the extra distance you start subjecting it to in training…..

• thats what i mean BR, fjb mentions a spring ultra and autumn so are we working on the assumption that the 100k is spring?

the other thing to consider is getting used to refuelling on the move and carrying backpack with kit if required. image

• Hmmm spring is next month, guess the time frame means no go for 100K then !!!!!!

Refuelling - that's just a word for stuffing your face with flapjacks and salted peanuts.... image

• Bret Runner wrote (see

Refuelling - that's just a word for stuffing your face with flapjacks and salted peanuts.... image

YOU GOT IT!!imageimage all day picnic excuse for meimagenom

• Guys thank you again for your help and advice.

I was trying to use this thread to see what changes I would need to make to my training and what lead time I would need to build up to an Ultra. I don’t have an Ultra booked in as of yet but was hoping to do one before the end of the year. I am just really fascinated about Ultras and the more I read up on them the more interested I have become. Your advice about back to back training, more hill work and maybe starting at 35/40 mile races has been very helpful.

• Spen + David: Have you two ladies gotten the sand out of your vaginas yet? If so can we continue poking the fat bloke?

John, the reason I, and it generally is just me, objects to threads like this is that we get one or two a week of them, they're not really asking for proper help, they're more asking for validation that whatever an the poster has planned is feasible. They're not, what do I need to do to achieve something, they're tell me it's going to be ok guys. Every conceivable bit of info a new runner could need is already contained here on a thread already, there's noting in here that ten seconds on google, a bit of common sense and a fortune cookie couldn't have told you. I mean if you want I could give you a bespoke plan over the next 18-24 weeks but then I'd need you to answer several dozen questions for me.and all that'd happen is that tomorrow someone would post another question asking the same thing again.

It's not rocket science
  • John, Ignore Lirish. Yes, we get these questions all the time, butanswering questions like this is part of what forums like this are for! If he doesn't like it, he can just keep away from the thread.

Glad to have been able to help. I'd certainly recommend some shorter ultras first - I went from HM to 50K, then marathon (but faster than the 50 K0, then 30 mile as a training run for my first 50 miler. That was all last year. I'm not expecting to go over 50 miles until next year (but I plan to do five 50-milers this year!). Go out, get the back-to-backs and hill work in, and enjoy.

• XX1XX1 ✭✭✭
    Lirish -- I wouldn't necessarily disagree with what you said but if you're really not happy with any particular thread, and it isn't just you, then why not just ignore it? Do you really have nothing better to do?
  • What Debra said.image

If its wasting your time Lirish, then simpler not to reply? Rather than possibly putting someone of the Runners World forums completely, never to return.

Everyone has to start somewhere, and for them maybe it is rocket science?

• Ooh well that's set the cat amongst the pigeons hasn't it? Well if you're happy repeating yourselves ad nauseum then fair play to you, it's not giving someone advice I'm objecting to, if you'd read anything I'd written you'd have realised that.

What I object to is the washy washy half hearted way the questions are phrased.

John this isn't specifically directed at you here, it's more of a general rant but if someone starts a thread like this saying ' I want to run x in y months, I've never ran more than twenty yards what can I do' I'll be the first to take the piss because to me if you're the kind of person who can't make even the most cursory of efforts towards not only finding a basic programme but getting yourself somewhere along the way to fitness then I have no time for you. For me people like that, and again I'm not talking about you John, don't want information specifically, they want reassurance. Well I'm afraid you need to put on your big boy pants and work it out yourself, I'll promise I'll meet you halfway.

On the other hand if you start by saying I've done a search but I can't find the specific info I need or could you help with this specific question as I need some experienced help then I'll write you a bloody programme myself. And trust me when I say it'll be more than ' you need to eat more' or ' wear a backpack'

I'm happy to help those who help themselves, but if you're happy to chat about sore ankles or backpacks in every post then each to their own
  • ok I know I may regret this question.....but!

Has anyone trained for an ultra of any distance without doing back to backs?

• Yes. What are you training for and what's your history?
  • Training for the NDW50 in May, finished my first marathon in November as part of my run up (pun intended) for the 50. Guess Ive been focused on the 50 since volunteering at the last one in august. Now everyone knows the benefits of doing the back to backs but personally I find I tend to just hurt myself and seem to achieve more without doing to many of them. Thoughts?

Oh yeah and just to kick it off a little bit I'm also running in sandals. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand Que the onslaught.... image

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

If you are hurting yourself then you are likely affecting the rest of your training trying to recover from them. If you get better results from single long runs then do what works for you.

Sandals I am actually interested in this... Tarahumara style or geologist style?

• WIB - Luna sandals, Tarahumara with science style image

• How old are you, how long have you been running, what's your average mileage, do you do any other sports, how long have you been doing them for, what do you weigh?
  • Yeah that's what I was thinking but was curious to see if I was just being a wimp ha ha ha!

• 33, about 3 years i think? Millage is around 30 miles but I tend to only run 3 times a week. Currently weigh 65kg, 30 inch inside leg, favourite colour is purple and I'm quite fond pizza and whisky 

• Sporting history? It may sound like I'm taking the piss but in my opinion conditioning is one of the most important and most overlooked parts of the ultra runners kitbag, resistance to injury is conditioned over the years of training and is incredibly relevant to how we push our bodies now
  • indeed sorry just thought it was funning image

• Gotta go now, if it's easier pm me and I'll send some of my thoughts