First Ultra and looking to the running community for some advise

13»

Comments

• backtobasics- i did NDW50 last year as my first 50miler and am doing it again this time as i really enjoyed it. gotta say though seeing Lirish and Wib at the aid station was enough to put anyone off returning a second time-image- you know i dont mean it lads and love you to bits (even grouchy uncle Lirish)image

i did a few -and i mean FEW- B2Bs and i still survived pretty well.  you will do fine and if you are really unlucky you will end up meeting us lot tooimage

on the sandal thing- a friend of mine runs in the lunar sandals and he swears by them!

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭
    That aid station was running like clockwork thanks to us. image
  • I'm not grouchy, I'm just misunderstood
  • WiB wrote (see)
    That aid station was running like clockwork thanks to us. image

yes ...of course it was...imageimage

• I was at 2 of the stations in august probably saw some of you there! 

Thanks Lirish if I think of anything Ill send a message

Backpacks, im just waiting on my ultimate direction AK vest! image cant wait!!!!! Its the lightest vest ever with upfront bottles! image

• You just can't win sometimes
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Lively thread, this one!

As far as I can see this is one of only two threads of this type on the ultra/adventure racing front page at the moment so let's not be too harsh.

But I agree, it is usually better to join in an existing thread rather than than start a new one on the same subject.  You can learn a lot from a mature thread.

Anyway, John, fat or not, the main difference between marathon training and ultra training is the length of your long run. There are two approaches:

1)  Back-to-backs (usually at the weekend).  Start off modest and build up to a probable maximum of a 30 and a 20, or preferably the other way round if you can manage it.

2) A single long run in the region 25-35 miles.  Anything more than 40 is not worthwhile.  I did a 60 once.  To be 30 miles away from home at halfway is a little  disturbing (especially when it's the top of Pen y fan and you can just make out your local hills on the horizon) and in fact it was a struggle to get back.  Better to enter an event.

I'm in the 2) camp.  I feel you should train specifically for the type of event you're aiming at.  If you're not aiming to do a multi-day event, then back-to-backs aren't replicating what you're going to be doing -  it's better to do one long run (personal opinion).  I haven't yet done a multi-day event - I take my hat off to people who can do them - but if I were to then I would be having a go at 1).  The only back-to-back I have ever done was the High Peak 40 and then the Anglesey marathon next day.  Perhaps some specific training for that would have helped!

Expect to need more recovery time from these long outings.  They take quite a lot out of you.  But the most important thing is take these runs very slowly, much slower than long runs in marathon training.

Just a few thoughts. Hope they help.

• that was helpful for my question as well T Rex, two for one! image

At the moment my single run is at 20 and is slowly creeping up. Think I will cap it around 28/30

• You can never win,  Its the way of the world.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Your first run greater than 26.2 miles is quite a moment.  You've entered a new world.

• I really look forward to that moment! image

• When I was training for and recceing the London Ultra, I got to the Tube station at the end of my run and I'd done 26 miles. I ran another quarter mile or so past, and back again, just so I would have run over marathon distance and wouldn't have anyone sayng "so you ran 26 miles? Oh, so you haven't run a marathon yet..."

• ha ha ha brilliant

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Do people just randomly say that on the underground?

• WiB, you never know..same as the person sat next to you on the tube could be weilding a pair of scissors ....and you are totally oblivious to their hidden talents....

• hi T-Rex image how are you? id have thought the Druids 3 day muti would be a good one for you seeing as youve done R85. Im hoping to have a go at both this year.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Not bad, loulabell.  Getting physio now on my bad shoulder.  Up to 16 miles in training but a considerable amount of pain.

Might be looking at Pembrokeshire Coast 3x3 marathons at some point - not this year.  Is Druids on the Ridgeway?

Also want a crack at Cotswold Way 100.  Will be reading this year's reports with interest.

• aye, Druids starts at Ivinghoe beacon and ends at Avebury-3 days

• Now, did I say that I was expecting it to be someone on the underground?image

Sympathies for the shoulder, T Rex.

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭
    My mistake, were you off to a Q&A session on your run shortly after? image

Was that the broken collar bone TR? I had a bad shoulder injury but missed my first hospital appointment to go an run the 3 peaks (I took my sling as my arm was meant to be immobilised for 6 weeks) and still get occasional pain now as I never had it looked at again after that. Not my best idea! Hope yours is resolved soon.
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Hi, WiB.  Yes, that's the one.  If that was a broken bone you had that might not have been so good.  I've found you lose a lot of muscle strength with the immobilisation that you need for better bone-setting.  Got to keep up physio sessions now and specific exercises to stop my shoulder blade "winging" outwards.

Hope you're fit now and will be enjoying all your 2013 challenges of which I'm sure you've got a few.

Thanks, Debra.  You OK?

• Hi T Rex, my ankle is definitely improving, thanks. I've run on four of the last five days and it's hurting less, not more, which I'm taking as confirmation that it's basically healed but I need to break down adhesions, get it mobilised again etc. Having rested for two weeks I'm being sensible (*gasp*) and not trying to go straight back to full mileage - so I'll probably try for a run of 15-17 miles this Sunday. If that goes okay, I'll see about going back to a higher mileage next week.