Royal Marines Commando Challenge

In a word: fantastic!
But the longer version goes like this: arrived in Exeter and my taxi driver to the hotel was an ex-Marine. Rather worryingly, he said he admired anyone doing the race, but he also gave me a few pieces of good advice:
- run down and straight but not uphill
- just get on with it
- buy socks and cut the toes off to make useful knee protectors.
I spent a great afternoon in Exeter and bought a multi-pack of socks and tiny scissors. Helegant had a horrid 8 hour road journey, but turned up in time for prawn- and Czech beer-loading at the next door pub.
Today was perfect weather: no wind, clear and warm in the sun. We turned up at the course early, and got shipped out to the start where some fine Marine PT instructors told us not to jump into deep puddles and led some warm up exercises. A team of very young women joined us to discuss the obstacles, and told us that they would hang around to wait for us if we got stuck. At which point iron entered my soul, and I turned to Helegant. She said to me, not that we're competitive or anything...so the objective was to beat them.
Soon we were on our way, and we ran the first part of the course before going through the first tunnel. Pitch dark in the middle, but we were soon through. The next obstacle was Peter's Pool - chest high cold water. Helegant and I forged forward, and I got a bit winded with the temperature of the weather. But it was amazing how quickly you warm up. Lots of mud and hill and another tunnel, and then we got to the submerged water tunnel.
(m/f)

Comments