Exercise after hernia repair

I had a double open hernia repair 3 weeks ago.  I've been told no running for 6 weeks and I'm going stir crazy.  I need to be doing something.  When I asked what I can do I was told walking would be ok but for anything else they are very vague (the nurse and the surgeon I spoke to).  I've read lots of different things on the internet about what I can and can't do as well as some on these forums from years ago.  What I want to know is:

1. Can I use my multigum?  I want to tone up while I'm not running.  I did read somewhere that even sit ups and crunches are ok after two weeks (although I'm scared of ripping myself open).  I have no muscular pain down there, just soreness from the stiches.

2. Can I use my cross trainer?  It's kind of like running but without the impact assocaited with pounding the streets.  I assume it's the impact I'm trying to avoid.

3. Can I use my bike?  I have a mountain bike and a road bike.  Which one would it be ok to use if any?  Or doesn't it matter.  I suppose mountain biking over rough terrain is kind of like running in that some impact is present.

I'm getting fat.  I need your help.

Comments

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Wait three more weeks.

If you think you can use the medics vagueness as some sort of admission of their ignorance then go ahead and bugger yourself up again.

🙂

• WeVWeV ✭✭✭

Yes, I have absolutely no intention of running for 3 weeks yet but they've not said anything about any other forms of exercise.

Apart from walking.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Its about straining your guts.

Running is just one activity that could do that. Any activity that could result in the same damage is out.

Just because you mentioned running and the medics said no. It wasn't an endorsement to do anything else but that.

Think 20 years ahead and then think how important 3 weeks is.

🙂

• WeVWeV ✭✭✭

That's a good point which is why I asked.  There must be something that is allowed though.  Or is it just walking?

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I would say a stationary bike on a freewheel setting or close to that.

The only problem would be the strain of setting the machine up or moving it about.

Even the effort of getting the pedals moving could be a strain too far.

The op must have been big. 6 weeks out is loads.

🙂

•  

A stationary bike may also give some stress to the operated are. It is better that you complete the 6 week rest. If the surgeon at the hernia surgery clinic did not give much details, it may be because he wouldn't have thought that 6 weeks is going to be too long for you. So , next time you visit him just throw in more questions about your need for some activity, and i guess you will get more details considering the type of surgery you have undergone and other factors like your body response to heeling medications, etc.