Horse meat - nutrition

2»

Comments

• and why don't we eat insects?  theye are abundant, easy to breed if needed, and can be highly nutritious.   think of them as land based crustaceans.   

• fat buddha wrote (see)

and why don't we eat insects?  

Give it fifty years and we won't have much choice.  It'll be us or the cockroaches.

Morning!  image

• it is very strange why we dont eat such things that are clearley an abundence.

maybe its the fact that we havent been introduced to them (well some people) from an early age and they are not necessarily considered the 'norm'.

maybe this could start a new trend for the government to kick start eating different meats?

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

I'd not turn my nose up at any meat tbh.
    Was served horse for the first time on a french exchange when I was at school. With my uncultured palate thought it was rare beef until they told me- I shrugged my shoulders and carried on.
    Had reindeer in Scandinavia - that was lovely, and the trio of Oz classics : 'roo, ostrich and koala when in Sydney............Oh ok, it was crocodile not koala...
    Worked in Central Africa (Congo) for a while too, tried monkey, snake, (more) crocodile and giraffe there. Elephant was available too.

• Considering how damn cute they are, I bet koala meat tastes rubbish.  All they ever eat is eucalyptus leaves, the boring bastards!

• I own two horses and I've not a got a problem wit anyone eating horse.
    The only caveat is the same for any meat in that the animal is well cared for in life and is humanely killed at the end.
    Southern fried rabbit is very nice, as is rabbit curry. We eat a lot of rabbit and pigeon in our house. Although I still feel pigeon pie is a cheat since it's 500 gram steak mince ( possible horse!) and 2 pigeon breasts at oh maybe 50 grams.

• fat buddha wrote (see)

Beetles are used for food colouring, so chances are you have.

• Tom77 wrote (see)
    fat buddha wrote (see)

Beetles are used for food colouring, so chances are you have.

I was talking in generic terms as I have eaten grasshoppers (chapulines) in Oaxaca, Mexico - they're fried in chilli oil and are very tasty if a bit crunchy.  and insects are eaten in many parts of the world - usually the less developed - but generally in Western cultures they are ignored when in fact they could easily be bred and incorporated into diets.   

• I have eaten seal in Norway, texture like liver but weird taste, fortunately you couldn't see it's cute eyes looking at you once it was on the barbie.

Similar to rabbits and lots of them, why don't we eat seagulls, lots of them, many of them must have more meat than a chicken, ok they eat sewage or whatever rubbish they can find in bin bags/rubbish tips but the flesh should be fine?

• seagull apparently is very oily and not very tasty but could sustain someone in need.  I think the St Kilda islanders used to net and eat them when the islands were occupied but they had little else to eat.  but these were seagulls fed on wild fish, not on town scrapheaps so they may taste different.

anyway, seagulls are protected so you can't just go out and shoot one to eat!  councils are allowed to cull them but they use poison bait so no way would you want to eat one of those!

• haha - just found this for a seagull recipe

1 seagull
    2 pounds mixed veggies
    1 large round rock
    12 beers

Place rock in bottom of cast iron pot
    Place gull on rock
    Place veggies on gull
    pour half of beer in pot
    drink other half

when rock is soft throw gull away and eat rock.

• Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

DF3 is correct- I had croc in New orleans last year and it tastes like fishy meat. I like strong flavours generally and can tolerate most things but this really turned my stomach.

FB - I did manage to eat guinea pig in peru, and it's very good indeed. The tender bits are a little like frog's legs and the more well done pieces more like fried chicken. I would eat it again, though I'd probably ask for it not to be served 'spatchcock'.

• I wonder who was the first person ever to try guinea pig?

• That might be gannet you're talking about, fb, although I could be wrong. Apparently gannet flesh is oily and greasy and tastes strongly of fish. If the bird's diet influences the taste of its flesh then the feckin' seagulls in St Ives should by that logic taste of pasty.

• probably the same for gannet as seagull Mutts

albatross on a stick anyone??  image

Snap - all the guniea pigs I saw for eating were spatchcock - skewer rammed up it's arse and out of the mouth and then bbq'd.   and there were loads of live ones squeaking their way around the kitchen of this roadside cafe in Peru.   

• In some countries you can buy seal liver oil capsules instead of cod liver oil.
  • oiyouoiyou ✭✭✭

Seagull eggs are fine. I've had them boiled, and in cakes.

It's cat recipes we really need though.

• I hear you can get steaming poo in the philipines which is nice with spinich.