Adidas Boost Trainers, anyone had a run in a pair yet?

Comments

• I bought a pair last week, yes i got sold on the marketing but am due a new pair like DF3 so i thought why not. Although i was fairly sure they wouldn't do me any favours they are on a 14 day shoe return thingy and could always resort back to my regs. I've only been for 1 run, 5 miles a bit quicker pace and i enjoyed it but was it the shoes or the idea of the shoes i have no idea but i'm gonna try some more mileage out this week and then all being well after my last long training run wear them through the taper for the marathon. If not they'll go back and i'll get my usuals.

I do know one thing tho they are bloody comfortable! after my 18 mile run on sunday they were like shoe heaven on my feet when normal housewife duties returned and i went shopping image

Oh and the price... my regs are normally about £100 so it wasn't any real issue

• Hi David how you get on?

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

DF3 - I'll be interested to know how they feel not just after a longer run, but after they've got a few hundred miles in them.  £110 sounds like a lot, but not if the midsole is still nice and springy after lots of wear, and they're not falling apart.  Do you log your individual shoe mileage, and if not, why not?  image

• David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

well ive done two sessions in them and maybe its a coincidence but both times ive felt better at the same point than i have with my old trainers.  im not saying they are miracle workers but in all honesty i think adidas might have something here. i will put it this way i think its 110 pounds well spent.

Ok - so let's assume they do what they say on the tin - that the "energy return" in the midsole is better than anything that has come before it.

That would explain why you have felt better in your runs - because you haven't had to use as much of your own "energy" due to the better energy return in the shoes.

Now matbe I'm missing something here - but wouldn't that mean that if you don't have to work as hard, you're not getting the same fitness/training benefit from that same run as you previously would have done!!!

Swap to the Boost and do the same runs and you will end up less fit than if you had used your old shoe? And you will obviously be burning less calories.

So basically, running in the Boost will make you fat.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

MrMaj - Obviously what happens in the real world is that the more comfortable you feel, the more likely you are to progress on to running at faster paces for the same effort, rather than consciously keeping to the same pace for less effort.  I'll take Adidas' "energy return" claims with a pinch of salt, but if you feel more comfortable you're more likely to get out there and do it IMO.

DF3 - I don't personally believe in all the rule of thumb mileage limits people talk about (anything from 300 - 500 usually) but I am interested in durable shoes that retain a decent bit of cushioning.  I've recently retired a pair of Nikes that are coming up to 1,000 miles, just because the outsole is wearing through, but they are a little "flatter" in feel than a new pair.  If nothing else, these shoes will make good loft insulation when they're done.

• XX1XX1 ✭✭✭
    DF3 -- Those Romanian's are probably making more money on their knock off shit but when it comes to a quality product they're not a patch on those Chinese kiddies.
  • XX1XX1 ✭✭✭
    DF3 -- If they're putting little cameras in there then they'll be spying on the bird with the big arse that I stalk whilst I'm runningimage
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Actually I don't care because I have an exceptionally small arse.

• Google this - The once and future way to run

• ??110 is quite pricey. I did my long run today in some cheap Adidas trail shoes. Around ??30 or so. Would the Bouncy ones be 4 times as good I wonder ?
  • cushioned/structured running shoes are a fad

• cougie wrote (see)
    ??110 is quite pricey. I did my long run today in some cheap Adidas trail shoes. Around ??30 or so. Would the Bouncy ones be 4 times as good I wonder ?

Good Point!

• cushioning is not the same as a "cushioned" running shoe that are designed to adjust/correct pronantion/supination etc.

• Not sure, but what i think Runz is getting at is that we shouldnt be running with anything more than a protective layer on our feet, "running shoes" go against the way we are designed/evolved to run, Based on the time line of our species running, running shoes are very much a "fad" 

• Google the following DF3 - The once and future way to run.

Tooth brush example is flawed.

A healthy diet combined with grooming ie tooth picks(any piece of wood) to remove food from teeth and working with saliva is appropriate. Indian's are known for excellent dental health and this is how they have approached daily dental hygiene for generations.

The shift to a snacking culture in the UK has led to a decline in dental health according to the British Dental Health Foundation.

Traditionally, Britons enjoyed three square meals a day and rarely ate any snacks in between It meant that our teeth were only subject to 'attacks' from the sugar contained in foods three times a day,,people are snacking up to 10 x a day! Better start brushing your teeth 10 x a day then! probably wear them out before they rot image

Mark S pretty much nailed it with his comment.

Cushioned shoes have been around for approx 40 years the human foot has been evolving for millions of years so next to that cushioned shoes look kinda faddy.

All a uncompromised foot needs from a shoe is weather protection/puncture protection and room for the foot to splay.

A healthy achilles and planter fascia combine on every stride to absorb 52% of the force you hit the ground with (2 x BW) before it gets to your knee if you are running skillfully - Google Lee Saxby Videos to see correct form.

Science is nature,nature is science.

• Oh yeah! somewhere in between all that waffle try and enjoy your runningimage

• Marc.S wrote (see)

Not sure, but what i think Runz is getting at is that we shouldnt be running with anything more than a protective layer on our feet, "running shoes" go against the way we are designed/evolved to run, Based on the time line of our species running, running shoes are very much a "fad" 

Perfect Marc!