Winter training

2»

Comments

• Mercury - even though I can no longer wear my contact lenses for more than a few hours at a time (due to too much Roaccutane in my youth), I always pop them in for my run and then take them out as soon as I get home - far better than constantly pushing my glasses back onto my face! So if you've ever thought of trying contacts, go for it.

I have a question for all of you who are happy running in the dark - which do feel is safer, pre-dawn running, or post-dusk? I'm inclined to think that it would be pre-dawn, but I once hear a statistic saying that most mugging type crime occured in the wee hours, between 5 and 7am. Still, I find that I can't even function in the morning unless I've eaten, and going for a run then would make me feel ill, so I've been going out just before it gets dark in the later afternoon.

And next weekend we change the clocks, alas!!
  • I run around our estate - boring, but safe. My problem is the temperature - this is my first winter running. The summer was awful, I had four weeks of perfect temperature - PBs, longer distances, nice runs in the rain. Now I just can't seem to feel comfortable. It takes 15 minutes or more to warm up, and feels realy hard. If I add extra layers I feel constricted and then much too hot, and end up with everything around my waste. Is a treadmill in the garage the answer, or do I just not have the right layers yet? I was doing really well (5 sessions a week, up to 23 miles total) but seem to have lost it! Any ideas?
  • i run on an estate along the bus route in the morning
    mot inspiring, but i do feel safe, unlike the evening, when youre likeky to get more abuse
  • Pumbaa,
    I, too, don't like feeling cold - although it's the damp in this country that really gets to me. Instead of wearing everything in my wardrobe, I try to dress for when I'll be warmed up, which means that I spend the first half mile a little chilly. Still, it's well worth it to feel more comfortable during the rest of the run. I also find that embracing the madness of running in all sorts of weathers is an infinite help to my attitude!
  • More technical clothing is the answer.
  • I usually run in the dark, once my insomniac angels have settled. Tonight is a prime example, of why I want to switch to morning runs. One of my little cherubs is telling me I can't go running. And I know he's in stubborn mood, so I'm not going to argue. Someone told me a couple of young girls were assualted last night on my route, and about a month ago some delightful teenagers threw an empty bottle of Bud at me - they could have left me a bit! If I feel energetic I might trot out when insominac five year old drops off at 10pm, but then it's Graham Norton, and I'll have eaten...
  • Must admit that running in the dark is not an option for me. May sound like an excuse but I just don't want the abuse or worry, it can be a bit dodgy around here.

I have had to plan quite carefully my runs now over the weeks, using treadmills (I find mind numbing..) and running on weekends, or half days off. Very limited. I will find it difficult in a week or two when my runs get longer.. (1/2 marathon training for January).

Hildegard, I recently got a dri-fit top by Nike.. sort of waffle type material - totally amazing, very warm if needed but airy if not. no sweat!! Fantastic. Also, got a reflective jacket for the rain.. again, very impressed with the winter gear so far. Can see me from the moon now, if I ever dare go out when it is really dark !

Happy training and be safe.

go-slow

• Only run in the dark if feel safe trust instincts
  • I have different routes for winter and summer, in the summer its all parks and off road stuff, but in the winter I definitely try to keep to the well lit streets. Dark parks are just too creepy.

I feel safer in the morning, although traffic is more curtious in the evening when people aren't rushing too work. Of course it's very easy to roll over and sleep another hour in the morning...

• MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    I would definitely feel less safe running pre-dawn. There are far less people and traffic about and although I run on well-lit residential streets there are a couple of places (under the railway bridge, for example) which are quite dark and have trees/bushes either side of the road. I like the fact that in the evening there is a constant stream of traffic passing me as I run these bits. I'm sure if anyone attacked me no-one would stop to help, but it makes me feel better anyway!

I prefer parks and off-road for summer, but would never take the risk in the winter. Running in the dark makes it feel much later than it is, plus I find I have to run a bit slower than I would in the light just to keep an eye out for hard-to-see obstacles (like big pot holes in the road which you don't always see until your foot is down one!)
  • I'm an early morning runner - mainly because I find it easy to get up early and then my exercise is done for the day!

Also, as Minkin says there are less people around, however, I ond't mind this as yobs who hurl abuse and objects are all tucked up in bed. Mostly I see the postman, milkman dustbin men, a couple of early dog walkers and a couple of early morning runners.

As with the others here, I run on well lit resedential roads when it's dark (morning or evening) and leave the more interesting runs for the weekend. Either way, as I live in Woking and work in London whether I run morning or evening -it's in the dark!

Happy Shambler!
  • This is my first winter of running and I'm finding it quite hard to stay motivated and get out in the dark. I make the effort a couple of times during the week but look forward to Saturday and Sunday daylight runs to recharge the batteries. Tonight I went out and didn't even manage 20mins before I headed home. Pounding the streets isn't the same when there's no view.
    Have to keep telling myself its all in a good cause - the goal of a half marathon next spring.
  • I live in the country and would need to drive to the nearest town for a lit route in the dark. I don't feel safe running along pitch black country lanes on my own, even with a headtorch. So try to get around it by doing the evening club session one night, having 2 rest days during the week rather than taking one at the weekend (which would suit the family better!) and squeezing 2 more runs in the daytime when I can, Like someone said, fitting in longer runs in the week will definitely be a challenge.
  • I'm really lucky - I normally run at night and there are street lamps all around my 2 mile lap. Don't do anything more than 6 or 8 miles on it, and save the long run for the weekend.

Only once have teenagers been a pain, and that was when a few reckoned they could out run me. They couldn't - maybe that's why they haven't bothered again !
  • You can still run around your town, village or city after dark. As long as it's a well lit area and you are wearing reflective clothing you will be o.k.
  • But its not the cars I am worried about
  • I'm quite lucky as I do most of my runs during the day now. I walk the kids to school as a warm-up and then have a quick change and go.

I've also got a few well-light residential routes for evening runs if I don't get out in daytime.
  • All my running is in the dark, I get off the train part way home and run the rest, except for the long run when I run the whole way home.
    Worst run was at 9.30pm from Ramsgate Harbour to Broadstairs Harbour and back along the beach in the dark this summer. Twisted my ankle twice but got a better time than when I ran it during the day during the Harbour Wall Banger race by 5 minutes!