Richmond 13.1 Half Marathon

Was looking forward to entering this but it's yet another race that doesn't allow headphones, despite being largely park-based. Is this really the way races are going? I've heard the arguments about not being able to hear the marshals but I've never once not been able to hear what a marshal said and that's what the pause/volume button is for...

If the organisers are really concerned, can't there be a disclaimer or something to sign?

I imagine lots of people may respond and eschew the virtues of running headphone-free but for this sort of distance, it's just not an option for me and many runners that I know. I can't be the only one?

I see fancy dress is permitted - perhaps I'll run as a DJ... image

Comments

• XX1XX1 ✭✭✭
    Why is running a half marathon headphone-free just not an option for you exactly?
  • stutyrstutyr ✭✭✭

I could be wrong but headphones are against UK Athletics rules, so most events will officially prohibit their use.  However, there's a difference between having a published rule and enforcing the rule...

PS I nearly always wear earphones whilst training but never when racing - why not try it, its not as difficult as you think.  Running 13 miles heaphone free seems possible to the majority of HM participants in my experience.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    nicolajmiller wrote (see)
    Was looking forward to entering this but it's yet another race that doesn't allow headphones, despite being largely park-based. Is this really the way races are going? I've heard the arguments about not being able to hear the marshals but I've never once not been able to hear what a marshal said and that's what the pause/volume button is for... If the organisers are really concerned, can't there be a disclaimer or something to sign? I imagine lots of people may respond and eschew the virtues of running headphone-free but for this sort of distance, it's just not an option for me and many runners that I know. I can't be the only one? I see fancy dress is permitted - perhaps I'll run as a DJ... image

Another poster scared of the prospect of hearing their own thoughts.

🙂

• Give up running and take up clubbing. You know it makes sense. You might understand clubbing better than you do running.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    It's not really the race organisers fault that you cannot run without listening to music. It's their race so it's their rules.

I ran a race yesterday where the no headphone rule was very strictly enforced. It was great. Everyone spoke to each other and people could hear runners coming up behind them so could move to the side and no one was getting in each others way.

It makes for a much more sociable event for everyone.
  • From the course map, a lot seems to be along the Thames Path - will you be able to hear runners approaching from behind and wanting to get by? Or cyclists who use that stretch of towpath a lot?

Its a nice place to run - try it headphone free - its much nicer!

• Will be interesting to see the OP running with a couple of decks and a box of 45's just so she can listen to music
  • Dave - did you see (or hear) that guy at the Outlaw last year that had a cassette player with speaker taped to his crossbar? Guess he couldn't cope with 112 miles without music!!

• Yep I thought it was great I'd never thought of that
  • I guess you'd have to use a cassette player - a record player would jump going over all those bumps on these crap UK roads!!

• Didn't ever occur to anyone that some people run with headphones due to say social anxiety or panic attacks? In recent years I've done races without them, but I doubt I would have ever started racing if I couldn't have worn them in the past. Sometimes people's mental health does make them "scared of the prospect of hearing their own thoughts". Sure not everyone that wears them does so because of this, but as long as those wearing them are careful and ensure they are aware of those around them (btw I train along a canal path and am always aware of other path users behind me - also not everyone listens to music) I don't think we should be putting people off entering races.

• stutyr wrote (see)

I could be wrong but headphones are against UK Athletics rules, so most events will officially prohibit their use.  However, there's a difference between having a published rule and enforcing the rule...

PS I nearly always wear earphones whilst training but never when racing - why not try it, its not as difficult as you think.  Running 13 miles heaphone free seems possible to the majority of HM participants in my experience.

I don;t think it is against UK Athletics rules, I think its more a health and safely decision taken by the organizers. TBH it seems to me that most say no headphones to cover themselves but don't really mind either way on the day.

• Running without headphones is possible but running with them give you a boost at the end and why not having this confort? I do not understand the necessity to prohibit them as it is not the case in other countries.

• This is ridiculous. 

I have ran without headphones many times, I have ran with heardphones many times. Im not scared of my own thoughts, nor have social anxiety, I just prefer to listen to music. 

Running, all training and exercise in general is fantastic and needs to be promoted not selective in this increasingly unfit society. 

If it is a health and safety concern then please could someone point out exactly where in the health and safety at work act 1974 this is written. There are a great many misnomers about health and safety. Most of the time it is quoted to falsely back up someones wishes...

Matthew

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

1974! 

Ipods and the like, haven't actually been around that long.

I find the concept of phone & gadget addiction slightly unsettling.

🙂

• It's against athletic rules matthew. You're running a race - not going out clubbing.
  • I'm not a fan of runners wearing headphones for a race, sure if you are on a training run then they can be great.

For Race day I would always leave headphones at home, I think a lot of the entrants will be familiar with most of this course and there are some narrow stretches. Some parts of pavement that are next to busy roads and probably only two runners wide, especially Kew Bridge Road turn before mile 2 and there are 1500+ runners on the day. I think there will be a road to cross by a Bridge too later in Richmond, the point I am trying to make is that this is probably a race where headphones aren't the best idea if you are needing to pay attention to what is going on around you.

I'm looking forward to this event, expecting a few teething problems as it is in the first year, but should be a great addition to the West London race calendar. Much better than staying at home eating Easter Eggs image

• to be fair if you look at UKA rules, any item providing assistance is banned except a heart rate monitor Rule 21....

nothing in the rules states you cannot wear an IPOD - this is purely down to race director.

I am sure all those willing to quote the rules have downloaded and read them.

http://www.britishathletics.org.uk/EasysiteWeb/getresource.axd?AssetID=91501&type=full&servicetype=Attachment

I am sure that noone has ever had a friend cycle with them at a race (I have seen this quite often) This under rule 21 is assistance and can lead to disqualification.  I am sure that no-one particularly ultra runners alters the size of their race number - banned unless the race altitude is greater than 10 000m rule 18.

are all the pro banning ipod runners that suggest the UKA rules willing to give up their garmins etc??? rule 21 assistance

didnt think so!

• I'm brand new to all this running stuff ..... quite enjoying it.

The events I've done so far have been great and entered in this one too.

I do find the headphone thing strange. Some events don't mention it, some recommend you don't use them and others strictly forbid them. Why the inconsistency? Lots of people seem to use them anyway. 

I much prefer running with music or podcast for some/all of a run. I really don't see what the issue is. I've encountered just a few inconsiderate runners so far, with and without headphones.

Does anyone really care if I'm plodding along at the back with some music for company?

• I know of road races where someone has been hit by a car because they didnt hear it behind them or they couldnt hear the instructions from the Marshall.  From that Health and safety viewpoint I can understand where a race director may say for safety reasons they shouldnt be worn.

I feel that everyone should have a choice and that a disclaimer should be signed due to the UKA rules stating that safety is the competitors responsibility.  However, that doesnt account for the rule that gives the race director the right to set their own guidance / rules.  And to be fair if you were a race director and someone got hurt on your watch due to not hearing what was going on around them then you just wouldnt recover mentally from that.

Personally I wear headphones when not barred by the race director.  I am a slow runner and often on my own so the 'social' aspect as mentioned by a previous runner quite often doesnt exist for us at the back.  However, I have addidas headband type phones which allow me to keep the buds outside of my ear allowing me to hear the traffic, the marshalls plus my music and any other solo runners.

I think UKA need to make a standpoint in the rules to make it clearer for race directors either way and then enforce it... how often do you see people disqualified for wearing a garmin? As i said earlier they are not allowed!!!!

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    TheStone wrote (see)

I do find the headphone thing strange. Some events don't mention it, some recommend you don't use them and others strictly forbid them. Why the inconsistency? Lots of people seem to use them anyway. 

Does anyone really care if I'm plodding along at the back with some music for company?

The inconsistency might have something to do with the peculiarities of the races themselves.  I'm not particularly militant on this issue (although I do get annoyed when people use the excuse "other people are doing it" to justify breaking rules which they ought to be agreeing to), but there are certain situations where, as a race organiser, I would insist on banning headphones.  The most obvious example being a race which uses public open roads; another example being when it is a lapped course.  Am I bothered if you want to plod around at the back listening to your iPod?  Not particularly, if we're all doing a single lap round a nice quiet park.  But if it's a three or four lap race taking in pavements and open roads, it's a completely different story.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

...sorry, just to get back on track, I'll be one of the pacers for this event.  Anyone hoping for assistance with a sub-1:30 HM had better not be wearing headphones, or you won't be able to hear my Mr Motivator-like inspirational words of encouragement.  image

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭
    PhilPub wrote (see)

...sorry, just to get back on track, I'll be one of the pacers for this event.  Anyone hoping for assistance with a sub-1:30 HM had better not be wearing headphones, or you won't be able to hear my Mr Motivator-like inspirational words of encouragement.  image

For every person wearing headphones using your pacing services bring them in an extra minute over 1:30.

1 pair of earphones = 1 minute penalty. Finish time, 1:31 image

• UFO wrote (see)

Give up running and take up clubbing. You know it makes sense. You might understand clubbing better than you do running.

A nasty comment like yours and I'm the one who doesn't belong on the race course??! Nice. 

• Thanks to everyone else for your comments, regardless of whether they were in agreement with me or not. I'll bring my headphones as back-up but see how it goes without them on the day.

Good luck everyone!

• Is this course hilly? Does anyone know?