Saddle 'numbness'

How do you stop it?

I've got a reasonable saddle, a pair of cycling shorts, and I think a decent setup of the saddle.  Its a Vader saddle with a cutout.

However, after half an hour on the turbo trainer, I get 'numb'.  Very numb.  No feeling, shrinking numb.  I think you get the picture.

How the hell do I stop this?  Saddle is slightly canted upwards I think, which I understand doesn't entirely help, but I think that would work out about level on the turbo.  I know that my bars are low, but I tend to be bolt upright when on the turbo, hands off the bars as I don't need the controls.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Its unnatural to spend 30 mins in one position. Every 10 mins or so - just do a little bit out of the saddle - like you would on the road.
  • Start with the saddle level and see what happens, then either drop the nose by 2 mm at time till you get a nice balance between not being numb and not sliding off the saddle

• Chris68 wrote (see)

and not sliding off the saddle

That's why I made a slight cant backwards.  I kept slipping forwards.  Get cover probably didn't help.

• a turbo position does tend to put more strain on the nethers as you tend to be locked into the same position for a lot longer than would be the case on the road.  as cougs says, move around a bit/sit up/stand up so at least you give the barse a rest.

my saddle position on the turbo is the same as it would be for the road

• Can be the amount of pressure or lack of, placed on the pedals.

If you are spinning away on a really small gear you'll have all your weight supported by your butt. Its going to complain.

• RicF wrote (see)

If you are spinning away on a really small gear you'll have all your weight supported by your butt. Its going to complain.

if your butt's supporting it then the saddle's too wide..... image

• get rid of the gel cover

• and the saddle!

• Got rid of the gel cover fairly quickly.  It was pretty useless.