Taper

Hi Guys,

In my training plan for my upcoming half I've been upping the milage a bit at a time and my long runs are increasing. But I've read a lot about tapering to save the legs for the race. How much should I taper, and when should I start doing it?

I run where possible on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday

Weeks To Go / M / Tu / Th / S

(This week) 4 wk / 5 / 4.5 / 4.5 / 10
3 wk / 5 / 5 / 5 / 11
2 wk / 5 / 6 / 5 / 12
1 wk / 3 / 3 / 3 / 13.1 (Race)

I'm thinking maybe I should up the 11 mile run to a 12, and drop the 12 to an 8 or so.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Matt

Comments

• mattywarr wrote (see)

I'm thinking maybe I should up the 11 mile run to a 12, and drop the 12 to an 8 or so.

Assuming this sort of mileage is new territory to you (?), I'd say this looks like a sensible taper plan.  Longest run two weeks out, but top it up with a longish one the week before. 

Have you done any runs at target pace?  I'd make one of your mid-week efforts a HM-pace tempo run, so the 5/6 mile runs could include 3-4M @ HMP, then during the final taper week do a shorter tempo run with just a couple of miles at target pace, on the Tuesday (maybe 4 miles total so that you can include 1 mile of w/u and c/d), then one more very easy run before the race.

• Hi Phil,

My longest run previously was a 10 miler about a year ago. Consistent training runs - definitely a new thing.

All the long runs have been at target pace so I'm feeling comfortable with those, and all my midweek runs tend to be at a tempo - well, tempo for me at least! Ha ha.

It seems I am actually learning! Thanks image