RW Marathon FLM Beginners - Kerry

Comments

• Bryan
    I've been called mental before... but right now I'm just confused... why are you apologising... I can't see any other mesages from you... hello anyway, how are you??
  • Ooops... I am mental... I've just seen Bryan's earlier response...
  • Just dip in and out of this thread. You have my very best wishes. Something I read earlier but has now happily apparently disappeared made my blood boil on your behalf. Just to remind you, I'm cheering for you, now as I shall be on the day.

Although weight is not a real problem for me (only a stone or so over, so not adequately motivated to shift it) I stick to another unsociable diet, and therefore know that dieting is so much harder than running that it doesn't bear comparison.

If ever things get tough, you feel oh stuff it all, please think of us yelling our heads off for your at mile 18.
  • KiliKili ✭✭✭
    Good Luck Kerry
  • Well done with the weight loss Kerry. Just keep on keeping on and you'll get there before you know it.

Go Kerry, go Kerry, go Kerry!

:-)
  • Kerry - do you have a specific weight target or date at which point you'll be given the go ahead to run?

Good luck with everything.
  • Hi Kerry

I think you've done absolutely fabulous with the weight loss and the motivation.

I started plodding about 3/4 months ago with my target being the race for life. Now like you the sights are set a bit higher (sorry longer) the FLM.

Still very much a beginner and with *** stone to lose, I think I should join you and the Evil Pixie on the diet.

You've got my support - go girl.
  • Jesus
    how irresponsible
    daily weighing!
    And no fat at all

Hm, no hes ISNT medically qualified!
  • Hi Kerry

finally managed to get in here thanks to your advice (I'm the other woman beginner in the RW feature with Kerry ... ). You're doing fantastically well with the diet. It must be hell. I've only lost six pounds so far.
    Seems very tough to be allowed no treats at all ever. I admire you for sticking to it. More than I could do...
  • Have been away for a few days so a bit behind. Lost six pounds? Well I think that's a hell of a lot, nothing 'only' about it. Way to go!!
  • Hats off to the lot of you! All these weight losses are fantastic. Now it's just a matter of finding new treats to make your plan livable on in the long term. (OH NO! ATTACK OF THE DIET BORE!!!!)

Some yummy healthy treats, have you tried roasted butternut squash? Oh bliss! Just split it in half, scoop out gunk and glaze with a little bit of maple syrup and roast slowly. Fab this time of year. Have you experimented with marinades for fish and poultry? Bit of 5 spice, soy sauce, wine vinegar and teaspoon honey, pop some salmon in to soak, pan fry and it is heavenly...

Only way to do it in the long term is to find treats that are healthy + indulge!

I LOVE FOOD!

(~:
  • Just a thought on the weighing issue. Not a prob to begin with! The weight always starts nice and quick but a couple of months down the line when less water is being lost and more fat it can get so demoralising even when I was getting weighed once a week and only half a pound had shifted. Every day and I would have gone up the wall.

Get yourself a tape measure and measure yourself oodles until you find your widest part, somewhere in the hip area with me. Do it in cm and watch that go down week by week too.
  • Not sure that I agree with you on weighing giggling tortoise.

You can weigh yourself every day and know that your weight is coming down despite the fact that obviously it fluctuates daily. If you have a bad weight day but have stuckj to your diet then the likelihood is that tomorrow will be a better one.

If you only weigh once a week then if you happen to be weighed on a day when those fluctuations are against you then you may show no weight loss or even a gain where in fact you are still losing weight. Having to face another week before that shows on the scales is what I find demoralising.

Agree on the tape measure too though.
  • i 3rd the tape measure thing, but I don't think there's an awful lot of harm in daily weighing because of what M. has said. From reading the diet post I think the inferrence was no fat from extras which makes sense. of COURSE there is some fat in pasta/ meats etc, and if eating 3 balanced meals you will be taking on more than enough. It is difficult but completely feasible to not buy any cakes/ biscuits/ jam etc. If you eat toast for breakfast have it with marmite (if you're a 'my mate' kind of girl). Go without gravy, etc (mother has half heartedly struggled with weight for years so i know all this stuff). However I think its important to not deny yourself everything always, but you have to recognise that a slip up is a treat, not an every day occurance.

good luck. 12 pounds in 3 weeks is a great achievement, don't be disheartened if the odd week slows down.

(ps really big culprits for sugars are fizzy drinks and squash etc. so i'd say the ban on drinking anything but water makes sense if seeming draconian)
  • I think I should point out to everyone that I'm now weighing myself weekly. I think Keith probably made me weigh myself daily to start with to make sure I stuck to the diet. Also, I had a hip injury for 3.5 months this year which is why Keith is probably reluctant to let me run - he doesn't want me to injure myself again...
  • Hi Evil Pixie... how's the diet going??

My hip is really good now so it was worth taking the time to get it right.... and now that it's right I really want to plod... but Keith knows a lot more about training than I do so I will trust his better judgement... he's sending the 3 of us on one of his marathon training camps (www.trailplus.com if anyone is interested), in January/February so I hope I can run by then or I'll be just getting back to camp when everyone is setting off for their next run ;)
  • OK - I've ordered some kit from the URWFRC... I know, I know - I'm getting in early... but I did order it a bit smaller than I'm wearing now... is this kit only worn at FLM or do people wear it at any race??
  • I'm sure that walk makes up for the carrot cake...

That's cool about the top - I will wear it with pride...

I had planned on doing a 1/2 marathon in January but I booked that in May before I got injured... so at this rate I don't expect to do it... have nothing else booked but would like to enter a few shorter races even if I walk part of them... I'm definitely up for the Reading 1/2... keep me posted!!
  • Hi Kerry

I have not had a chance to read through all this thread but can I suggest a link for you to read through.

It's the Hackers Diet This will explain why it is a bad idea to weight your self daily. I read through it and I think the author makes a lot sense.

Pixie started a thread on the Injury forum about peeps who are looking to loose some weight in the run up to FLM 2004 feel free to pop in, though I'm sure you have already been invited.

Other than, that Best wishes with your training and reaching your goals.

Happy Running

MK

• MK - it seems to advocate weighing yourself daily????

• Hi M

Yes but only really taking note of the difference in your weight every 7 or 14 days as it states that the daily fluctuations are due to the difference in the amount of water in the body and not the amount of weight lost in a day.

It also shows you how to graph this to motivate yourself and prove that it is working.

MK
  • Absolutely - and I'd agree with that. But I think weighing yourself every day is important too.
  • Hi Kerry

good luck with the training and weight loss

i think walking is great - if you can walk briskly enough you will develop great cardio vascular fitness which is a excellent base for when you are able to start walk running

it will also strengthen your joints and muscles to prepare for the running and will help to prevent injuries and the impact will be less -but still enough to be of benefit

it is also an effective way to burn calories - maybe not as quickly as running might but if you walk at a fast pace frequently enough it will work

good luck