RW Marathon FLM Beginners - Kerry

Comments

• I'm back.... sorry I'm a bit slack at keeping up with these messages... life is hectic!! I spent a lovely weekend in Bruges and even managed to do 2 x 1 hour sessions on Saturday including some jogging (yippeeeee!!!), and a 2 hour walking session on Sunday... another 3 lbs off this week which bring my total up to 24 lbs... how's everyone else??
  • Hi Kerry, that's great. Had a lovely walk with the family yesterday afternoon-it was nice and sunny where we are and still is.
    How are your joints coping with jogging? No aches and pains I hope. It would help if you ran off road-less impact stress of course.
  • Hi TR
    No problem with the joints... though my hamstrings were a bit tight at the end of it all... the park I jogged around in Bruges was a kind of compacted clay/shingle (didn't really look that closely), but it felt very comfortable to run on - no jarring at all!! I'm glad you had a lovely walk - roll on next weekend!!
  • How are you enjoying running? How much are you "allowed" to do now? Not so much I guess, a bit at a time to get used to it?
    Its all very encouraging.
  • I was supposed to walk for an hour in the morning with 6 x 2 mins jogging, and do the same in the evening... I did 12 x 2 mins jogging in my morning hour, and did 6 x 2 mins in my evening hour... all felt very easy... roll on the next bit of jogging!!
  • Hey...well done Kerry...what fantastic progress you're making...you should be soooo proud of yourself..
  • That's great, is your trainer ok with you doing more?
  • Hi Everyone - this is my first posting and I just wanted to use it to say WOW and well done to Kerry and Philippa!!

I have also 'weightwatched' and am down to a BMI if 27.9 - the lowest I've been for a very long time!! However, after running the Liverpool 10K last month my motivation had hit rock bottom. Although I was happy with the fact I didn't stop once (YAY!) and a time of 1.04.40 I was ill after and haven't really got back into it!! I hope I can pop in now and then get some real inspiration from you guys in terms of weight loss and running!!

Keep it up and hopefully speak to you soon!!

Beanie
  • tim... stop lining the poor girl up for ultras ;)
  • aah well, you never know. Sorry Kerry, I'm sure he doesn't mean it.
    Although of course it does beg the question, what do you plan to do after London? Got to think ahead you know.
    Ed?
    Hi Lucy, 10k in 64 minutes should encourage you, it must have been hard work and running non-stop at that pace is brilliant.
    How ill is ill Lucy? You've got to be careful after all.
  • bring it on.... how far is an ultra??
  • Ultra - watch out Kerry they'll brainwash you given half a chance...

Ill is grotty cold so was very careful (stayed in bed, ate way too much choc and generally destroyed all the good work...!!!)

Hopefully i can get back on the horse though before disastrous Christmas appears!!
  • Definately worth resting with a cold Lucy, don't feel too down about it. I would have suggested a rest after a hard effort anyway. I hope you can get back running for a few weeks before Christmas then you've improved your chances to get over it afterwards if you see what I mean.

Don't worry about ultras yet Kerry, strictly speaking its any distancelonger than a marathon (I hope you're lying down reading this) Ed and I both took part in a 24 hour race last month at the track at Tooting Bec.
    Typical distances are 100km or the 24 hour time trial (how far can you go in x time)
    They're great fun and I would highly recommend them when you're ready.
  • urghhh!! that actually sounds MAD!! Is the 24 hours non-stop or over a couple of days?? I like my food and sleep too much to be out that long!!
  • Well, I like my sleep too, but if you're running its easier to stay awake.
    At Tooting the race started at 12 (midday) and ended at 12 (middey) the next day.
    Non stop.
    It was fun, I think the forumites who came over to watch had a good time, I got the impression they were having a mini social while we slogged our way round.
    We got fed by the way and you can sleep, as long as you're not off more than 5 hours I think it was.
  • the food was goooooood.. except i needed more at about midnight.

she's game tim... but focus kerry focus.. i'm terrible for setting myself a goal & then getting bored & planning the next thing before i finish the last one!
  • Careful Ed, we might be giving the poor girl nightmares!
    Actually I could have done with a bit more breakfast-I was grabbing a piece of toast every half hour or so after I'd had my porridge.
    It was porridge wasn't it?

Sorry Kerry, don't want to corrupt your thread.
    Keep focused there.
  • You two are bonkers! It sounds like a fab experience. Got to be on the list of "50 things to do before one dies!" a totally mad endurance challenge!

You enjoy!
  • whos bonkers?

that Tim is, for one
  • Hi Kerry!

Hi Lucy too. Welcome and enjoy the fun.

Just thought to stick my nose in again. Things look to be going well here. Just keep on going, don't ever think it doesn't matter. (Not easy)

Had another thought. I ran my first marathon in October. Had to plan training around various holidays in September, one of which was five days near Ben Nevis. Far from being an interuption to training, I think it was excellent on-your-feet for a long time value.

I don't know what your circs are, and I don't know what your trainer would say, but I firmly believe that five days of hill walking was worth at least a couple of long runs!

A long weekend planned end Feb/early March somewhere not too cold but hilly with lots of interesting walks could be a refreshing way of putting in some very useful distance.
  • Thst sounds fabulous Stickless, it also sounds like really good training. Striding up and down the hills.
    Benz I think tortoise meant Ed and me.
  • Sorry, not clear, yes I mean Tim and Ed = bonkers, in the nicest possible way of course.

Walking up hills is brill. I started off doing lots of this on the treadmill at the gym. My trainer (ha ha doesn't that sound posh!) said it was better to walk up hills for a good proportion of my time training whilst my BMI was over 30.
  • It'd be a bit awkward if they didn't.
    Perhaps we'll see them at Stratford 2 weeks later?
  • I believe we do have guaranteed entry to the marathon - though I will still try and raise money for a charity so possibly could have gone through that route if they didn't (I figured someone might as well benefit from my pain)!! Hill walking sounds like a good training plan - I missed my flight to Oslo last week so ended up walking in the Cotswolds over some lovely hills and really enjoyed it... even went and bought some hiking boots afterwards!!
  • I'll do some hill walking with you one weekend if you like Kerry. (Good excuse to escape from the family.)