North or South London?

2»

Comments

• That's why I said you needed the budget!  But Hammersmith can be affordable, among lots of other places

• SEdanSEdan ✭✭✭
    Don't knock South East London. My 8 miler is running from my flat via Dulwich Park, through Dulwich Village to Herne Hill, 2 laps of Brockwell Park and back. It's great.
  • PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    danrees wrote (see)
    Don't knock South East London. My 8 miler is running from my flat via Dulwich Park, through Dulwich Village to Herne Hill, 2 laps of Brockwell Park and back. It's great.

One of my more memorable runs last year was 14 miles on Christmas Day (bit of a hangover) starting from my dad's in Nunhead. Basically this ^ with Crystal Palace Park thrown in.  I avoided my usual route along Cox's Walk from Sydenham Hill to Dulwich Park cos it was a quagmire!

• Ha, that a route I will always associate with hangovers PP. I used to do Clapham, Brockwell, Dulwich Park and then up to the TV transmitter if I wanted to repent for the night before. Crystal Palace is murder on the legs.

• Just don't buy a ticket - run away from the inspectors!

• Simon Coombes 2 wrote (see)

South West London (if you can afford it) is easily the best running part of London - and documented as such in magazines in the past.

Wimbledon Common, Richmond Park, Thames Towpath, Bushey Park, list is endless. Easy to get out there to run from the cheaper areas like Tooting, Streatham etc.

Friendlier than transient and faddy north London image (although I love Hampstead Heath too....)

exactly

• I do find all of the South London / North London really amusing. If you know even the first thing about the city you'll know there's poor bits of the North: Tottenham, Hackney, Haringey, posh bits of the South: Clapham, Dulwich, Greenwich all divided by an arbitrary geographical barrier called a river which actually meanders quite a bit rendering the distinction pretty stupid.

Anyway, personal preferences aside, they both have their merits: Hampstead Heath and Brockwell Park both good for hill repeats, the river is good if you want to trundle along with lots of scenery and don't mind the concrete so much, Epping Forest is fun, personally find the Lea Valley/East London canal network a bit of a trudge but that's just me I suspect.

Just don't not live in South/East London because of the guns and knives, we don't have a monopoly on bad 'uns! 

• Hi there,

Definitely South London, it has become very popular over the past couple of years, with many of the industrial buildings being replaced by new flats. This is a good area where you can find several bars, restaurants, shops and pubs.

In south west Earl’s Court, Fulham, Putney, Wimbledon and Southfields, particularly properties to rent in Earl’s Court are excellent where you will find lively pubs and clubs meet parks and public libraries. Wimbledon one of the well known spot for tennis fans, whereas Southfields is known for good transport links and share flats. House prices are directly affected by the location you choose like if you get closer to the prime locations within walking distance to landmarks, the prices of house being tremendously high.

• Ha! Just Googled my name to see runbritain rankings and noticed this thread. Should probably end this.

I moved to Essex Road in Islington in the end and lived there for over a year. For running, it was awesome. I did my speedwork in Victoria Park, which is beautiful and is essentially a massive closed loop without traffic. For ultra training you can go up the lea valley to outside the m25.

Now I live down in Streatham, so Battersea Park is near for that speed work. It's not as pretty as Victoria Park, and I miss the randomness of runs through hackney. Also used to love running through the city on a weekend when it's mega quiet.

So, both are great, but I'll go with north.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

Streatham Common is good for hill work. I live in Balham so Tooting, Wandsworth, Clapham and Streatham Commons are all within running distance - I sometimes include Battersea Park on my longer runs. Wouldn't change my location for the world.

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    To be fair- Essex road is fairly central so not really 'north' as such.