NDW50 2013

Comments

• Hi GKD. It was our aid station dishing out the ice cream. I can't the credit though, that was Mr Lane!

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I enjoy crewing nearly as much as taking part.

My next race is SDW100 so I'll be relying on friendly volunteers!

• Well done to everyone yesterday...   the weather was perfect for it.  I was at CP3,  the Box Hill aid station.  I love volunteering for these events.   Its just as much fun to volunteer as it to do them.   If you've not done it before, you should consider it.

• Well done one and all I loved my day of volunteering at the first and last checkpoint nice to catch up and familiar faces. I'd agree with the post  above if you haven't volunteered before give it ago. See some of you at the sdw100 from the otherside of the table image.

• Ah I've finally figured out who you are Lingster!

• Back2basicsBack2basics ✭✭✭

Well done everyone from a very tired sandal wearing nut job image 

The aid stations and crews were amazing!  Thank You so much guys it really makes the race! 

I was so happy just to finish,  trotted home 13.11 and yes I did stay in sandals the whole time, added some socks at 31 and some vasline but that was it! image

How Did everyone do? 

• Was good to see you yesterday foxy, you were right about centurion running events being so well organised. Was very stiff this morning, suppose just paying for only being able to run 2 times this last month. Be good to get out there training for ndw100. 

• Well done B2B - great job done!

I was about to drop you an email to see how the sandals were; I imagne trail conditions were pretty much perfect, at least over the 19 miles I covered on Saturday morning they were.

Sorry I couldn't hang round at the finish to see more people - had to suffer kids party-hell instead!

• Well good news and bad news recovery wise, good news is that the day after the race I had no muscular pain whatsoever, legs felt fine, mostly due I think to taking it easy on the day but it was nice to see there wasn't really any bad effects to doing two races in two weeks, so really happy with that.

Bad news is that I spent a few hours in chairing cross A&E last night getting x rays on a suspected stress fracture of the left tib, pain came on yesterday morning walking around and it was like someone trying to screw into the bone, never had anything like it. A&E doctor said the x rays last night were inconclusive so they'll be looked at by a consultant later today and I have a follow up appointment later in the week. So what should I expect?

oldandcreaky - Thank you! Yeah the conditions were amazing! Little humid at times and I really feel that it should be changed to the North UPS! image I was so glad to finish.

I was aching a lot yesterday, bit more mobile today. Could probably bust out a 40 minute mile right now! image

GKD - Thats well out of my knowledge unfortunately! Hope everything is alright!

Enjoy your resting everyone!

• First, thanks to all of you who were crewing on Saturday - it was good to meet you, Sussex Slogger. The ice cream was a wonderful treat. Everyone at all the aid stations was fantastic, and the photographer, Richard, was really encouraging every time I met him as well - helped me to keep smiling.

Somewhat disappointed with my time, but the continuing left ankle problem was compounded by a pressure point problem (which I'd padded turing into a wannabe-blister on the back of the same heel - really slowed me down on the side-sloping and rutted fields towards the end. Also, I think I started out too fast, which was my own stupid fault!

Scenery, and weather were great, and underfoot conditions were good as well - if not for the aforementioned ankle. And unlike my last recce along here, and last year, I didn't fall over, which was a ncie bonus.

My next Centurion event will be NDW100 where I've volunteered to help at Knockholt Pound, so hopefully I'll see some of you coming through. Meanwhile I think I'd better get to a physio and get this pesky ankle really sorted out!

GKD: Sympathies for that. Re. x-rays, you may need them to be taken again in a few days - stress fractures don't always show up initially on radiographs (and sometimes never show up). If it -is- a stress fracture, you're looking at 6-8 weeks of rest and then gradual build-up again from there, I'm afraid. On the positive side, once a fracture has healed, it's healed, which in some ways is better than tendons and ligaments, which can just keep niggling for ages.

wooo! I made the race report! ha ha ha! image See its all about being at the back! ha ha ha

• loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭

heyyyy i finally made it back on this thread after no internet, moving house and no training image nearly didnt run NDW coz i was so knackered but then thought ' i cant miss it for the world'  sod it whats worst that can happen? so turned up and did it-amazing day, amazing runners, and centurion crew above and beyond any other image

• loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭

thanks to Caterham for  having orange jelly!!

Hey guys quick question but I think I have worked out the answer anyway...

I have a sharp pain in the top of my foot and thought it might be a stress fracture. This morning however when I flex my toe the tendon is creaking. I have also just hopped up and down on it and I didnt fall over in a screaming crying mess so guessing I was wrong on the stress fracture side and maybe its just tendinitis?

Regardless, I guess ice and rest is on the cards for a bit eh?

Any thoughts?

• Probably just a but of tendonitis B2B, I've got similar on one foot - I blame the cow feilds towards the endimage I'm getting good results from compression - no pain today. Any pain in the shins?

• Back2basics: tendonitis sounds probable, yes. And RICE as the main treatment.

And well done making it into the race report (I admit I was a bit envious in reading the report and seeing that this year's winners got trophies, and were photographed for the report and everythingimage. Suppose that's the difference with the race being run by itself not as a poor relation of the 100 mile race).

Meanwhile, my race report is finally up at http://runningape.wordpress.com/  - must add some pictures.

image just wrote a whole mail and it deleted it as I posted!! Once more with feeling....

pmo - yeah toughest part eh?! image No shin pain at all! The whole way round the little guys held up well and didnt complain once! My hamstring that I thought would moan, didnt! My good hamstring now is my bad one ha ha ha! here we go again!

Debra - I think it was more a token nut job mention! imageimage Yeah I think its nice that it is its own race now I think it is taken more seriously

ooo I shall have a read! Here is my report if you would like a view from the back.....hmm maybe could have worded that better...

http://cardiosaurus.blogspot.co.uk/

Nice report Debra I enjoyed that! Hope that ankle feels better soon!

• Back2basics: thanks for the link - I enjoyed your report. I've finally booked in for physio for the ankle - it's improved a lot but I really do need to get it sorted out fully before Lakeland 50.

The back of the heel thing turned out not to be a blister but a problem I've had before which is called allodynia, so that slight friction was being felt as burning pain. The skin now looks normal (it had got very damp and puffy and red during NDW50, which is why I thought it was blistering) but is still painful if I try to run in shoes. I did 2.5 miles barefoot on grass yesterday evening with no problem and no pain, so I know it's not an Achilles' tendon problem.

This might be the impetus I need to start doing some actual barefoot running on a regular basis, try to get the soles of my feet toughened up so I can run barefoot on more surfaces (so far I can really only manage on grass or a very smooth hard surface).

Thanks im glad you enjoyed it!

I still cant run yet image Going to force myself not to try for a couple of weeks just in case my foot is a fracture. Ive done barefoot on grass, mud and concrete but not very far, maybe a mile or so. I would like to be able to do a barefoot 5k I think that would be a lot of fun!  

• loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭

B2B, thats a fab report , i dont think any of us will argue with you on the description of Boxhill!! but in a weird way i quite like the boxhill part.......image

Thanks im glad you enjoyed it!

nutter! ha ha ha! I think secretly we all do! image

• Back2basics: good luck with your foot; hope the rest sorts it out. I went for physio (finally!), so the ankle has been assessed and manipulated and massaged, and I've got guidance on which exercises to do more of, which to drop, and a couple to add/revise. She thinks my glutes still are not activating enough and that this may be the cause of the extra strain on the inside of the foot, so I have to do more glutes exercises as well as the ankle exercises.

She tried a bit to blame it on lack of support from my (minimalist) shoes, of course - but really, if it's down to my glutes needing to work better, surely it's more sensible to get my glutes working properly and actually FIX the root cause than to prop the system up with anti-pronation shoes (which make my knees hurt and are too narrow for my toes)? And she said my arches were fine (until I tried a single-leg squat) - whereas they were almost non-existent before I went minimalist.

Re. Box Hill, well, it is a good excuse to walk for a bit!

ha! Doctors eh?! +1 on working on the root!

• You seem to be a bit injury prone at the moment Deb.

• No, I've just had one injury (posterior tibial tendon strain) which hasn't properly settled over the last six months image. The allodynia (mild brushing pressure = burning pain) isn't really an injury, more a neulogical malfunction.

The new exercises for my glutes are making those complain,so they must be doing me some good! image Seriously, it's probably long past time I did some serious glutes activation & strengthening exercises, and this may be the impetus to do that.

• Squats,  Deadlifts, lunges and side leg raises.