NDW50 2013

123457»

Comments

• Spen: problem is, if you do them wrong, they don't help! Now I've got more information on how to do them so that they actually involve my glutes, rather than, as cragchick says, the other large muscles barging in and taking over, they might be more useful...

• Please share.   I used to have problems with my hip but my exercises cleared it up.   But am open to more all the time'

• Well, for e.g. clams and side leg lifts and prone leg extensions, it seems to be about actively tightening your glutes before you start the movement, making sure those are what's active not, for example, just the hip flexors or the hamstrings.

For single-leg squats, I found something online which recommended putting e.g. a water bottle in front of you are reaching for that with your hands as you squat - so your arms act as a counterbalance helping so your butt goes backward and actually works, rather than your knee coming forwards over your toes and the glutes doing most of the work - now maybe "everyone" knows that, but I didn't.

Any other tips and hints appreciated.

• I do side leg raises.    I use a kettlebell for the pistol squats   they are difficult then.

• loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭

how are we all doing post NDW people? im really missing the trail.....imagecue Lirish to appear and do what he did last year to prise us out of withdrawel symptoms...

• Back2basicsBack2basics ✭✭✭

well im resting my foot and hamstring which is giving me a little too much time to look for my second go! image image 

I seem to be being drawn to Race to the Stones at the moment.

2 months should be enough time with my hamstring and foot right? image

• loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭

Looks good though

• Lots of races look good for quarter of the price.   Im doing the vegan welsh 3000s.  Its only 20 quid!

• Be careful what you wish for Lou.

Right folks, NDW is done, over for another year, there's a thread somewhere about what's coming up next, pop in there and share your wishes. 

Personally, and this is probably quite silly but I hate letting people down, I'm heading down to the grand union canal at silly o'clock tomorrow to pace Dill on the last of his GUCR attempt

• GKD: you're even more nutty than me! Good luck to you and to Dill. Hope you don't do too much further damage to your leg...

• Anyone in for NDW100? Can't see a thread so might start one. Finally got out for my first reccy weekend doing the first half split over 2 days. Great weather for it and my first time out on the NDW so a bit of an eye opener. Was thinking the first 25 through to Dorking was quite tame but today from Dorking to Sevenoaks was much tougher! It sure must be a tough 50 in one go..... never mind the 100 *GULP*

• loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭

Lirish, hope you were careful pacing Dill and didnt do more dmage to yourself

• WackyRacer: I've offered to volunteer at the Knockholt Pound aid station, so should see you there.

• Debra, I will look forward to seeing you there. Had the best tasting can of coke of my entire life at Knockholt today image was a bit dehydrated by that point and although not far from the end of my run, needed it badly! My first time out on the NDW and was following the Harvey map, thought I had gone AWOL for refreshments.... didn't realise until I looked later that the NDW100 route actually tracks that way..... Happy days.

• Back2basicsBack2basics ✭✭✭

spen71 - yeah the price is the only thing putting me off a little.

• I'm meeting a friend in the Tunbridge Wells area on Saturday night, but have most of Saturday to kill.  Heading down from Suffolk, so want to plan a gentle training run with dog somewhere between the two.

I don't know the North Downs Way at all.  No thoughts of entering the NDW50, but who knows?  I thought it might be fun to explore the trail a bit, and see if it grabs me.  

If I wanted a 20 mile or so out and back on the race route, leaving the car at a point convenient-ish to the route from Dartford to Tunbridge Wells, then where would you recommend?  And are there any dog-friendly tea shops en route?

Harveys map is on order from amazon, but there's nothing to beat local knowledge.

• Knockholt pound is pretty much in the middle, little pub and a bit of parking. You will need to head up the road between the pub and village green and you can pick up the trail in the field to your right.

This is the end of the NDW50 going backwards. I don't know the route the other way im afraid but maybe someone else could help you out image

• Thank you, that's really helpful.