Sub 1:50 Half Marathon.

A couple of years ago I was struggling to break the 2:00 mark and joined a thread with lots of other helpful forumites all aiming to do the same. Some great advice and encouragement.

I can't find a sub 1:50. I'm sure there must be one. Anyway if not I'll start one, if there is someone will guide me to it.

Currently have a PB of 1:54. I ran a cold hilly half last Sunday in 1:55 but struggled to breathe due to cold. Was tired in the afternoon but have done 2 10mile runs this week with no issues, 2nd one was faster than my normal 10mile.

Running 3 times a week.

LSR 13-20miles. Done at around 10:00/mile. I think I should step this up to 9:30/mile

10mile average 9:10 mile with some sections of flat at 8:00/mile and some slow steep hills.

4mile as fast as possible. Currently averaging 8:00/mile. Again with hills.

So anyone want to join me in trying to break this.

Comments

• Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    32 views and no joiners? It's Sunday afternoon so maybe there's a few of you out there who didn't get the result you wanted or have been out on your LSRs.

Just 7miles mainly off road today with 2 miles at 8:00/mile thrown in. They're tough!
  • I struggled with two HM's a year apart at 2:06 and 2:09 (worse the second year with more running!) - then I grabbed the runners world full marathon training plan for sub 4 hours (modified it a bit, but kept the long runs).  3 months later managed a 1:46 with a couple of "stops".  I also ran 5 days a week rather than 3.

The full marathon plan (or rather the long runs) worked for me as I lacked the endurance - and the psychological advantage of considering 13 miles a "short" run by the end of it helped massively.  First HM of the year next Sunday, not as fit as I was back in Sept, but hoping for a sub 1:50.

• Run 5 times a week and your times will drop.

• Would help if I read all the replies.   Like Daeve said.   Also increase the length of the 8 min miles.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I had good results with this RW plan, extending some of the long runs to over HM distance:

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/racing/rws-10-week-sub-150-half-marathon-schedules/97.html

• Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys. Looks like I'm still on the right track. Increasing to 5 days may not be on the cards as I'm limited on time (and energy) may be able to throw a 4th day in occasionally.

Hopefully a few more people looking to go sub 1:50 will join in with how they're approaching it.
  • XX1XX1 ✭✭✭
    Hi TimR... I'm no expert but I'd have thought that you should be able to achieve a sub-1:50 HM from your current training. I only train 3 times a week, my long run being 10 miles, and I've dropped by HM time from 1:56 to 1:49 by doing (a) intervals, and (b) some long runs where the first 50%-70% is at easy pace and the last 30%-50% is at target race pace. I also think that pacing during the race is important as you don't want to go out too quick and burn yourself out... But you don't want to go out too slow either as you'll probably never make the time up towards the end. Having said that I guess you should improve simply by upping your training from 3 to 4 or 5 times a week. Dare I ask how old you are?
  • Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    I'm 44. I've been running properly for just over 4 years. Worked up over 9 months from 3miles to half marathon and did first half marathon in Nov 2009 in 2:2x then first Marathon in Nov 2010.

I pretty much just use this 3 runs a week formula for half and full marathons just increasing the long run and medium run for the fulls.

I'm sure it's not the distance, it's the speed of the distance if that makes sense. I can run a half at 8:45-9:00/mile with no issues at all. Dropping to 8:20 is a big difference.
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Tell you what, DF3, if you beat any of my HM times at Reading I will promise to post you the medal I got for whichever race time you beat (or other race memento if no medals).

• XX1XX1 ✭✭✭
    Well, Seren Nos is a better runner than me then as my PB is a few seconds over hers. DF3 -- As I remember the throwing away the medal if you don't finish in the top half was your own idea but as someone else has already pointed out you'll only need to better about 2:08... So I expect your medal will avoid the bin.
  • XX1XX1 ✭✭✭
    TimR -- At the recent Bath Half Marathon a guy in the VM65+ category finished in 1:14:36 and a guy in the VM60+ category finished in 1:11:29... Those are times that certainly inspire me... Like you I am 44. I think that doing intervals certainly helped me... I started by doing 1K at target race pace followed by 1k at easy pace but then eventually dropped the easy bit to 2 mins. Hopefully some more knowledgeable runners will join this thread with some other good/better advice.
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I'll let you know if you beat it. image

• Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    Taxi Driver wrote (see)
    TimR -- At the recent Bath Half Marathon a guy in the VM65+ category finished in 1:14:36 and a guy in the VM60+ category finished in 1:11:29... Those are times that certainly inspire me... Like you I am 44. I think that doing intervals certainly helped me... I started by doing 1K at target race pace followed by 1k at easy pace but then eventually dropped the easy bit to 2 mins. Hopefully some more knowledgeable runners will join this thread with some other good/better advice.

I'm sure I can work up to a GFA for London by the time I'm 50 image

In the Sub 2:00 there were a few of us all posting race times as we approached the 2:00 mark and reporting on training runs etc. It was a good thread. I'm just surprised there aren't loads of people aiming for 1:50. Maybe they're all trying to jump from 2:00 to 1:45!

• Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭

Maybe everyone is more concerned with "The Marathon" at the moment.

• Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Dave. Tbh I wasn't sure if you were being serious earlier. Sub 1:45 also looks more of a logical step because it's 8:00/mile. Whereas 8:30/mile is nowhere special I suppose.

I can easily achieve a 7:30 mile, just not for very long. Maybe 8:00s are the way to go.

....goes off to find sub 1:45 thread...
  • XX1XX1 ✭✭✭
    DF3 -- Good point... I'm off to look for a sub-1:45 thread then...
  • Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭

Can't see any, and I can't change the thread title so I'l have to stick with this one until I'm consistenetly under 1:45 then...

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

what do you have to do to be an improper runner?

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Ah yes, I'd better start polishing up those medals just in case.

• Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭

I ran a 1:57 in 2011 on a course and returned the next year and "ran" it in 2:35. Mainly die to the heat and migraine that hit me at 3miles. If I've paid my money - I want my medal!