Is this your 1st Marathon, no matter which one

Comments

• Fids is right, the NY Marathon will be my first. 

I had never ran in my life until the 3rd December, and I am running the Madrid Rock n Roll half marathon on the 28th of this month. Training has gone well and I have been amazed at the progress I have made over 4 months.

• sinbad113sinbad113 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Well done with the training, the Madrid Hm sounds amazing. Keep going

I must admit my training has been mixed. I can walk jog  15 miles. But storms and blizzards, having the virus and flu, has put paid  to my training over winter. I will keep at it though.

Let us know how the continued training goes for you, these next couple of weeks? David Gutteridge.

• David Gutteridge 2 wrote (see)

Fids is right, the NY Marathon will be my first. 

I had never ran in my life until the 3rd December, and I am running the Madrid Rock n Roll half marathon on the 28th of this month. Training has gone well and I have been amazed at the progress I have made over 4 months.

Wow, NY should be an incredible first marathon. Good luck!

My run today was a mixed bag - just did 4k in the end, could feel some pain and although I could have definitely gone a lot further, I didn't want to take any risks. Iced again, and physio tomorrow. Still trying to stay positive and optimistic though image

• fidsfids ✭✭✭

Hi all. Did Lsr 22 miles this morning, up at 5 and out at 6. Have heard people talk about delayed muscle soreness/pain but i get instant stiffness/soreness as soon as i stop running, despite stretching, ice on knees and a hot bath. Does anyone else suffer with this?

David G. You've got plenty of time to get into good shape, you should do well.

All of you hang in there with your training. Patience will pay off.

(God i'm knackered, starting to feel my age)image

• sinbad113sinbad113 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Russellelly slow butsure, your doing the right thing with your injury.

David Gutteridge, thats going to one hell of a marathon in NY go for it.

Fids from listenning to other runners soreness seems to hit people in similar situation  with soreness like yourself. So I feel your not alone on that one.

I'mmaking a phone call (the usual) at 9am then hopeful go for a slow 5k. Forecast is for possible snow shower. Here we go again lol

Hope all okay?

• sinbad113sinbad113 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Well I got a time of 48.09 moving time this morning. I'm pleased with that.

Hope everyone are going well with training today.

• Hi All

I'm having a rest day today, I've covered 45 miles this week, I'll be out again tomorrow, and I've got my sister to train up for race for life in June. Keep on running everyoneimage
  • Hi all

Haven't been around for a while and my training has been a bit up and down. However I managed 17 miles this morning, the last 2 of which were a mix of run walk. I was out by about 6.15 just as it was getting light so the run was mostly enjoyable!

Hope everybody's injuries clear up and you can all enjoy the remainder of your training and the marathon as well.

• Hi All,

Sorry not been about for a while. Glad to hear everyone's training is going well.

I'm now tapering for Brighton FM this Sunday image and done a 15 mile LSR on 1st April which went really well and was very enjoyable but has taken its toll on my knees..!! I only managed one 40 minute run last week on Friday as I felt like my knees needed resting and I was due to do 8 miles on Sunday just gone but the knees were still a little painful so I decided on more rest.

Just come back from a short half hour easy run this evening and my knees are still painful image and now I'm thinking that I'm not going to be able to get halfway through it on Sunday...!! Feeling really stressed now...!! Am hoping that I can take a couple of ibuprofen before I start and they'll help me get through it.....I can't give up now....I've trained so hard and I've raised money for charity...!! image

Going to book a doctors appointment in the morning as I'm sure it just tendonitis but done want to end up not being able to run anymore. image
  • fidsfids ✭✭✭

Hi all, glad to hear training going well.  Darcy, i'm not sure its a good idea to take ibuprofen before a race. I think i've read that its bad  for your kidneys so check wih your GP first.

• Hi All

Good luck Darcy whatever you decide to do. I've just got back from a 10.5 mile run it went very well, I'm pleased the way things are going.
  • Fids, it's not ideal but as long as you're well hydrated then it shouldn't be a problem. I always take them when I have done a long run as my joints get so inflamed from the impact. I will talk to my GP abut it tho. Thanks. Wondering if I should just completely rest now until race day...?

Paulc46 glad your training is going well. image
  • fidsfids ✭✭✭

Hi. Darcy Maybe some low impact training, cross-training? You can still work aerobically without the stress to your joints.

Just done a steady 7 miles. Cant wait till 28th am starting to get excited.

• fids wrote (see)

Hi. Darcy Maybe some low impact training, cross-training? You can still work aerobically without the stress to your joints.

Just done a steady 7 miles. Cant wait till 28th am starting to get excited.

Good stuff! Agree on cross-training if your joints are hurting - cross trainer or the pool are the way to go.

I've been keeping my joints rested by doing lots of cross trainer work this week and minimal running. It's either a genius or disastarous move, will find out on the 28th image

• Hi all,

Thought I'd update, I went to my GP on Thursday and she told me I have pulled a ligament on the lateral side of my knee. She told me that I should absolutely not run on Sunday. image I then spoke to a colleague of mine who has had lots of sports injuries (including a years rehab for a crutiate ligament) and he said to get in and see a physio before I take my GP's word for it. I was lucky enough to be able to get in and see a physio, who was recommended by a friend and it turns out that its not ligament but a pulled muscle and a tight ITT band from overuse...!! image Probably the result of consecutive 15, 14, 13, 15, 20 & 15 mile LSR's for someone that really only ran 5k 3 or 4 times a week before I started training.

Having worked on my knee and thigh, the physio advised 20 minutes on the bike today to see how it feels. Plenty of ice, anti-inflammatories and, should I run, it will be painful but there shouldn't be any long term damage. image

I have decided to give it a go, I will regret it if I don't try and even though I can defer my place until next year, I will be another year older, the training is so time consuming and I have a young family and a very patient husband to think of. The thought of going through it all again is not very appealing at all....!! So it's all or nothing now and hopefully I'll get myself to that finish line. image

Feeling very apprehensive now though as I'm not running until the day now so won't know how it feels, full of self-doubt and can feel the panic rising if I think about it too much....!! image I'm hoping this is normal..!!??
  • Darcy, good on you! Deferring isn't always the easy option, you've come this far some pain on race day hopefully won't be too bad. Good Luck!

I did some treadmill and crosstraining yesterday, getting into a routing. The gym is so hot and I get so bored so quickly, find it really hard to stay motivated. Leg was a little tender afterwards, but is fine today which is big progress image Will try some outdoor running tomorrow, maybe 5 or 6 miles and keep up the cross-training. It's taper time anyway in theory.

• Hi All,

A 4 mile easy run done this morning, it's good to get out of the running tights and get the shorts on, fresh air to the legs image
  • Sad news about the Brighton runner, condolences to his family.
  • Well done to everybody for your training imageDarcy, as others have said you have done your training now and as you got the ok to run then I say "go for it". So, you saying this is your first (and only) Marathon? am surprised all your training hasn't got you hookedimage

Managed 11 miles yesterday along a bank of the Rhone. It was possibly my most boring run ever - straight as a die and flat as a pancake! I got so bored I jumped onto the trial bikers humps for half a mileimage

• fidsfids ✭✭✭

Hi all. hope your training

's going well. Did 12 miles  on Sunday, it felt easy and legs have felt good in work today. Two weeks to go. Bring it on!

• Terrible news about Boston marathon, 2 bombs gone off 23 injured 2 dead.
  • Hey guys,

I am running the London Marathon alone. Would be great if someone here in the forum would like to keep me company?  Going to collect my running number today at excel exhibition center.  If there is a group which you accept such a late entry that would be great.

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

There are lots of runner world pacers in the London Marathon... Do a search on the site for or look at the home page it says about it.  In fact the link to it is below.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/event-editorial/virgin-london-marathon-countdown/9478.html

• Hi All,

Thought I would update post Brighton marathon.

I managed to finish...!! image But was very disappointed with my time image as my knee really started to hurt by the 16 mile point. I started out really slowly as I wanted to keep any pain at bay for as long as possible but by 16 it was really quite bad but i managed to carry on until just before the 20 mile when I thought it might be an idea to walk for a little bit but my knee stiffened pretty quickly and I found it really hard to get it going again. image To cut a long story short, I pretty much had to walk the last 6 miles but I did get to the end and I got my medal..!! image Finished in 6:07 but would've liked 5:30. It was an amazing day that I will never forget, the crowds were fantastic and there were lots of amazingly inspiring people. 

Was terrible about the young guy that died.

Sounds like everyone is getting along with their training, good luck to anyone with races coming up...!!

• Fantastic! Who cares about time, you did it, you are a marathoner. Especially impressive given your injury image
  • fidsfids ✭✭✭

Well done Darcy, as Russellelly said, it's the fact that you finished even when the going got tough. congrats marathoner. Do you think you'll do it again?

• Kirsten BKirsten B ✭✭✭
    Hi, new to forum. Did my first half-marathon on 7 April in Blackpool (2 hr 12), with another one planned for July. I'm hoping to get a place to run the Paris marathon in April 2014, giving me 12 months to train. Just started circuit training once a week to improve overall fitness. I only started running 12 months ago, having been a slob for years (I'm 40 next week and all this running is the most wonderful way to have a mid-life crisis!) Just bought a garmin gps watch and subscribed to runner's world, so along with the half-marathon, am feeling like a real, proper runner!

Hoping for lots of marathon tips! Lots of luck to anyone doing London in Sunday.
  • Hi Kirsten

Welcome to the forum and good luck with all your running. Well done fruityloops on finishing it shows real determination.
  • Hi All

I've just been watching London marathon and decided to register for it again to see if I get in this time, fingers crossed.
  •   Hi everyone,

I haven't posted for a while so it's great to see all the new people here in the thread.

David Gutteridge 2 wrote (see)

...I am running the Madrid Rock n Roll half marathon on the 28th of this month.

Me too! And it's also my first. I've been charting my progress in this thread. Only a week to go now and the nerves are rising.

Happy running everyone!