What do people do with their medals?

13»

Comments

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Stevie G . wrote (see)

Next it'll be dogs, and ipods and etc etc

I'd race to get an ipod (or possibly even a dog!) image

All my medals are chucked in a shoe box in a cupboard, most still in the plastic bags. Whilst getting one doesn't actually mean that much to me any more on the day, collectively they form a kind of history of my running. I don't look at them, but the thought of my future grand kids finding them in the attic after I'm dead and realising I wasn't always the frail old man they will have known is quite a nice one.

As for t-shirts - I like the long sleeve cotton ones for pyjamas and the hi-viz tech ones for summer biking and running but most of the other cotton, dodgy design jobs go in the drawer for any future decorating or DIY I might do if I wasn't too busy running image

• The kids like to play with them now and, as Bus says at some stage in the future I hope that my grandkids might look at them with the same fascination that I had when my grandad showed me his gymnastics trophies.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

i like "the bus" philosophy above that they will go in a box to show my grandkids etc one day that i used to be able to move faster than a shuffle

its slightly more interesting going through a medal box in the yr 2045 than refering to a power of 10 print out.

• Those for the current year go on top of a bookcase for display in the living room (with times written on the back). At the end of every year they go into storage, giving the incentive early in the year to get something for that bare shelf image

• I'm new to running this year and I did my first 10k in February in 55 minutes and I have my first half marathon next Sunday.  I have only been running for 6 months having gone through a variety of injuries & illnesses and lost 6 stone over the last 12 months.  I started with Parkrun and I always aim for a PB and have lowered my time from 30mins in October to 25mins 2 weeks ago.

I currently cherish my limited medals as i never thought I would be able to run but I sort of agree with DF3 above in a way, because when I run I go out to run the best time I can and aim to have nothing in the tank when I finish - albeit that may be slow compared to some of the people in here. 

I am certainly not a natural runner and the Half Marathon is going to be a massive strain/test for me so that medal will be a major achievement.

• I am terribly, terribly concerned that I have been lumped into the same category as DF3, now that would make me feel miserable.

I wasn't being provocative when I mentioned I'd thrown mine away, it is just where mine ended up when I moved house as I realised they had been in a box unseen for god knows how long of no interest to myself or anyone else. 

That said I hold cherished memories of all my races good, bad and indifferent and take huge satisfaction to rising up to meet the challenges I set myself. I did my first HM ** years ago aged 14 (redacted on the grounds of insecurity image) and I cherished that medal and can honestly say I love and adore running. It's just the medals aren't what I hold dear about it as time has gone on.

I also attend the VLM nearly every year and cheer and shout with the best of them and in two weeks time will be taking 5 ladies around for their first HM and will take as much from their joy of completion than my own, if not more. There will be tears, some will be theirs.

Joyless? Nah, quite the opposite. Unsentimental? not on your nelly - unlike my ridiculing daughter (C'mon who doesn't cry at the end of "Toy Story 3"?)

But please, a contemporary of DF3? image No say it ain't so

• Despite his many, many faults at least Hitler liked dogs and medals. 

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭

and was accepted for the London Marathon.

• That's quite funny actually image

• I still think wearing them on the job constitutes acceptable re-purposing.
  • skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    Johnny Blaze wrote (see)
    I still think wearing them on the job constitutes acceptable re-purposing.

careful.

DF3 will only find that acceptable for people who can finish within 4 minutes.

• XX1XX1 ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know Hitler's LM finish time?
  • skottyskotty ✭✭✭

not sure but must have been quite good as i did hear something about how he blitzed through the city.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    David Falconer 3 wrote (see)
    Screamapillar wrote (see)

That's quite funny actually image

Im going to have this comment laminated and hung up on a wall in my house.

I can see where this is going...like some classic soap storyline of hating each other at first, to suddenly loving each other image

• I think it's more of a Den and Angie scenario Stevie...image

• XX1XX1 ✭✭✭
    What 10K time does one need to achieve for a green beret?
  • I've put my medals in a frame and I've hung them on the wall. I'm very proud of them as each one has been an achievement. Okay I'm not the fastest runner ever, but never mind.

• Taxi Driver wrote (see)
    What 10K time does one need to achieve for a green beret?

under 50 mins, in boots, with 22lbs webbing and a rifle. will get you an interview.image

• I'm sure the day will come when I no longer care about trinkets and medals, but right now I cherish every single one. They live in my bedside drawer and get loaned out now and again to my daughter who is 6 and loves wearing them.  I also keep my race numbers and in a way, I cherish them even more.  2 years ago I was a fat, lazy tub of lard, I'd pretty much spent most of my life that way, at 17.5 stone I decided to change my life, running helped me do that and the content of that drawer represents the most importnt thing that has ever happend to me aside from marriage and becoming a father.  I am aiming to do my first half marathon this year and even if it does take me 2:20 I think my medal will be well deserved - some of you may agree with this, some may not, but the point is that nobody has the right to judge what constitutes an achievement for someone else. I set my own goals and run my own race, and at the moment, I'm winning.

• I agree with SoreCalf, he's done well. I also love getting medals, for the same reason, I'm crap at running and that I ever started was an achievment. 

But I can also see where you're coming from on effort, though on a slight tangent...You don't sound like you've actually been in a race? I don't recall seeing many people in races, especially at the back who didn't look like they were trying? Except for those who, like I sometimes do, use a race as a training run, and yes do take it easy. 

Regarding effort, you really do have to take natural ability into it, there's many who could train as you desribe, 10-20 miles a week, and make a good half marathon time look like a cake walk without trying. 

• In a drawerimage Only very very occasionally have  a look at them.

• KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭
    I was 16 stone last may and a smoker for over 20 years. Someone I know had a heart attack and died. I looked at my kids, looked at my gut, and went for a run. Now I'm under 12 stones, ain't touched a fag since then, and ran my 3rd half in 1:47:45 last weekend. I thought I'd be all precious about these hard earned medals. To be honest I don't even know where they are. My twins play with them and end up losing them. I'm just glad to be alive to watch them do it.