It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!
I have signed up for the New Forest Marathon and as there is no thread already for this charming race, I thought I would start one.
I've been running since 2010, so I'm neither new nor terribly experienced, and this will be my first marathon. I know, I know, why did I pick an "undulating" one for my first?...
Several reasons actually:
1. My work schedule is significantly lighter in the summer thus giving me time to train.
2. By "significantly lighter" I mean I have no job in the summer, and so I will have no money, and so I need a free hobby to occupy myself with.
3. All of the reviews comment on how beautiful the course is and so I figured the scenery would be a suitable distraction when everything is hurting.
4. I have friends in the area who can offer free accommodation (see point 2).
So, I'm running NFM13 as my first ever marathon. I'm also really pushing the name NFM13.
I've trained for half marathons in the past, most around 2 hours, am 4 weeks away from attempting to dip under 1:50 and I currently run a 46:33 10K, so I'm fairly confident that unless a pony attacks me I will finish. However, I wanted some advice about putting a training plan together and hoped some RW readers could help...
1. How long would you recommend my training plan be? 16 weeks?
2. Any recommended hill/speed sessions? I normally do reps of 4-10 minutes, increasing throughout training and depending on target race distance. How long should they reach for marathon training?
3. How long should my tempo-ish runs reach?
So many questions!! I'm so excited...