Options

Red Grapes on a long training run anyone.

Just lately i've taken to carrying and eating a few red grapes on my long training runs. Wearing a gilet with pockets in, carrying them has'nt been a problem and i have'nt suffered with stomach ache or anything. But i wondered whether it's considered, by the running fraternity to be a good or a bad idea? It's made a change from Jelly Babies/Beans, anyone any thoughts on the subject?

Comments

• Options
    Try them in their fermented liquid form, beats the hell out of Lucozade Sport.
  • Options
    Whatever keeps you "running"...
  • Options
    Old Timer (would'nt catch me using a name like that...!) I asked a similar Q on the FLM thread about a year ago.

Am a great fan of taking fruit (grapes excellent - espec this time of year) and dried fruit (dates, jungle mix etc) on long runs or nibbling when doing long gym sessions. Like you, I never have any probs (!!) as a consequence.

Yiannis Kouros, one of the (the ?) greatest ultra distance runners of recent times (see 'The Lore of Running' pp467-469) eats fresh pears, melon, grapes, apples, bananas on long runs + dried fruit, nuts, biscuits soaked in honey etc etc.

Not an energy bar in site...

Grapes the perfect convenience food ?
  • Options
    Old Father Tim (would'nt catch me using a name like that...!) it's nice to know i'm not alone.... I never thought of dried fruit, I simply thought of Grapes because they provide a small amount of liquid too.