Options

Great British Relay World Record Attempt

Comments

• Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

There are an awful lot of stages on the east coast still available.

Most of the 30th of June and 1st of July haven't been taken yet, and the South East section seems to have even lower take-up.

How will it work if no-one takes them up?  

RH can't run it all - that would be about six days of running, with only short breaks where people HAVE taken up a section.

This is the only place I have seen this 'even' advertised, so no wonder the take-up is so low.

• Options
    Miggito wrote (see)

Just saw this, looks like a good idea but a few questions as they have not been answered by Raining Hands (organiser) on here:-

1. If this is on the 1st June how are you still "asking people to build teams to answer your questions" Surely this would have thought out thoroughly beforehand?

2. You have avoided answering the question as to what does happen with monies paid if it does not go ahead?

3. Just having a quick swatch at some of the routes, there's not even a pavement to run on and you want to do these in the middle of the night?!?!?

4. A wee bit suss the only real interest on here is from new posters?

5. This site is probably the best way of networking to get people involved but as you have not responded to any queries the interest is not there.

6. Where does the money paid go, is it all to yourself? I see you also are encouraging people to fundraise?

Just a few quick things that popped into my head. I would like to be proven wrong as it does sound like a great thing to do and a great idea also but this sounds more like the Great British Scam to me!

Hopefully someone could do this in future with better organising etc, one for Sports Relief to consider I think.

Raining Hands - If you are really genuine, I mean no disrespect and apologise but would appreciate your comments.....

Raining Hands - answer these feckin questiosn or feck off

• Options

Just looked at the route......  I goes right past my house.. amd then 3 miles up the main road into north wales, that doesn't have a pavement !!!

Wonders if Elf & Safety have had any input ?

• Options

Right then you positive people.

@ Pudge yep in the third person absolutely right-perhaps a silly thing to do but I was excited and wanted to see what the reaction would be.

@seren nos We suggest you raise money for charity-if you don't want to that's fine. if I were to run stages every day we would be paying transport.  The charge per stage is to fund the event (if it fills to capacity we'll be on about the minimum wage) It's a bit like the VLM in that respect except I imagine someone there makes a huge profit. We have no sponsors.

@WIlkie It is filling up slowly and we hope to increase that soon. We're targeting areas week by week so the North East is at 80% capacity at the moment. Scotland is doing better than expected-so many stages in Scotland. We currently have adverts on the Northern, Southern and Scottish Running Guides websites and here is a link to our press releases

I'm hoping to not have to run any of it as I'll be liaising with runners before changeovers.

As a gesture to those who have raised some genuine  concerns I would like to offer you a free stage each. That's to Pudge, Miggito, Seren Nos, Wilkie and Vicky French 2 (I think you've got a stage already but you can take another if you like). I hope you'll take up the offer. To do it just fill out the contact us form on the website www.greatbritishrelay.com

I hope this answers your concerns.

All the best and good running,

Paul Shack

• Options

Didn't actually answer the questions tho did you ?

• Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

It does say on the website that if the event doesn't go ahead, money paid will be refunded.

Perhaps I'm a bit odd, but I actually find your linking your event to the bombing in Boston rather unpleasant.

I can't quite articulate why, it just seems a bit like using that to play on people's sympathies to get people on board, and it feels distasteful.

I'll pass on the free place, thanks.

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

I like the idea, but I'm afraid I'm also suspicious due to the evasive answering of questions, plus the fact that your company was only incorporated in February.  It looks a bit like a smash and grab raid.  I'm not convinced you have really thought through the logistics.

What is your track record of organising big events like this?

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Actually, I've just looked back through this thread.  First you post as someone who wasn't the organiser saying it "looks like fun", and then a group of new posters found their way here to say they had signed up in spite of your obvious lack of advertising.  The questions have clearly not been anticipated, hence your evasion.  Questions which would have been anticipated by any serious organisation.

I will be avoiding with a very large barge pole, because I won't believe anything you say in response.

Inventive spam, but spam nonetheless.

• Options

I'm sorry Wilkie that you think that, and I can assure you we're not using the death of three people as a marketing tool.  I believe that the running community is a welcoming and supportive community and any attack on that affects me and I want to share how I feel. That's why I suggested on Tuesday that we have a minute of silence before a free run I organise on Sunday mornings called Run Sunday.

At Tenjiso, I ran two stages of The Real Relay last year and had the idea for this over Christmas.  I held off doing anything because in January Endurancelife announced a Round the World Relay which unfortunately did not get enough support. I incorporated the company because I thought it would look very dodgy if people were just giving money to a person.  (The registered office of GB Relay Ltd is my home address). Believe me we have spent sleepless nights thinking through the logistics and the whole prospect is very scary but doable-it was done twice last year with RelayGB (for the Brain Tumour charity) and then in an exceptionally short time by Endurancelife who put together the Real Relay.

When I ran in the Real Relay last year my first stage was between Thirsk and Northallerton and was along an unpaved A road for about seven miles-I found it no problem at all.  In fact where I live in Guiseley, North Leeds I run every other day along miles of unpaved roads-I don't think it' possible to get round the UK without running on A roads. (However we do rely on people's local knowledge and if they can come up with an equidistant route).

It's not a smash and grab and the close to 200 people who have signed up believe in it.  Its a full time job for me and I have no other income at the moment ( I have other businesses but have no time at all for them  right now).

Track record-I've organised 40 runs in the last year and have been nominated for a Sport Leeds award. In fact I'm marshalling tomorrow at Over The Odda.

I will continue to try and make the Great British Relay something that runners will be proud of and I am more than willing to answer any further questions.

• Options
    Raining Hands wrote (see)

I am more than willing to answer any further questions.

Any of the ones that have been posted above will do for a start...........................

• Options

Think he might be out of his depth.

• Options
    No.. I thought the whole route was on dry land, didn't know here was swimming
  • Options

his gps sent him the wrong way.

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

You have still evaded the key questions from earlier in this thread.  I'm not sure whether you are out for a quick buck, or genuine but inexperienced. Either way, I would not take a chance with parting with my money.  

The linking to Boston appears to be a cheap attempt at SEO marketing, and does not strike me as genuine.  Also, I read the Sports Award nomination claim on your website earlier, but wonder if that just means you were nominated by your wife?  

There are so many questions about the organisation that could be asked, such as insurance cover for participants, how the route will be marked and safety assured, but I doubt that you have answers for any of them.

• Options
    Well he's picked a rubbish route past our house down a major A road with no pavement !
  • Options
    Raining Hands wrote (see)

Right then you positive people.

@ Pudge yep in the third person absolutely right-perhaps a silly thing to do but I was excited and wanted to see what the reaction would be.

@seren nos We suggest you raise money for charity-if you don't want to that's fine. if I were to run stages every day we would be paying transport.  The charge per stage is to fund the event (if it fills to capacity we'll be on about the minimum wage) It's a bit like the VLM in that respect except I imagine someone there makes a huge profit. We have no sponsors.

@WIlkie It is filling up slowly and we hope to increase that soon. We're targeting areas week by week so the North East is at 80% capacity at the moment. Scotland is doing better than expected-so many stages in Scotland. We currently have adverts on the Northern, Southern and Scottish Running Guides websites and here is a link to our press releases

I'm hoping to not have to run any of it as I'll be liaising with runners before changeovers.

As a gesture to those who have raised some genuine  concerns I would like to offer you a free stage each. That's to Pudge, Miggito, Seren Nos, Wilkie and Vicky French 2 (I think you've got a stage already but you can take another if you like). I hope you'll take up the offer. To do it just fill out the contact us form on the website www.greatbritishrelay.com

I hope this answers your concerns.

All the best and good running,

Paul Shack

thats what I was looking at.you are paying yourself to organise this and then any individuals who raise money for charities it goes to charity.

that should have been made clear that you are a earning money whilst masquerading it as a charity thing......

sorry I feel you have not been open and honest about this at all.... a nice earner where the pair of you get paid by people to run....

VLM are very open that people get paid to organise it .you were not

• Options

Shame on you all.

You are normal marvellous people I am sure.

The Great British Relay is about belief, about hope and determination. Its about people all over mainland UK getting together and doing something that hasn't been done before and I believe in the spirit of an average person saying, "Today I'm going to do something special, be part of something special, be something special"

I believe in the human spirit, I believe that we can all work together to do something remarkable. So please continue to criticise, continue to think its a con or it can't work because there are no pavements.  We make our own limitations and I'll be damned before I let go of the idea of the running community. We'll run this and you can stand and jeer as we pass by, you can even turn your back if you like, but we'll do it.

We stand for running. Whatever you want to do is your choice.

• Options
    You still don't stand for answering questions .....

Nothing to hide have we ?
  • Options

if it sells out he and his wife will only get about minimum wage Dave have some symphathy...........

they could obviously be charging for 500 hours each which would mean a pathetic £3000 each..............

why are you questioning their desire to make this a success.......they are special

• Options
    Anyone who runs down the A5117 past Stanlow Oil refinery is very special !
  • Options

Hey Dave, we'll knock on your door as we pass!

• Options
    Feel free, I'll be in France when you pass
  • Options
    I could sell you a coffee if I was here
  • Options
    You mean you haven't got a budget for incidentals such a coffee ?

(Sorry Paul was reduced to PM's.... But he still don't like answering questions)
  • Options
    If you can't post it here don't bother Paul
  • Options

Dave thank you for your posts-they have been both pithy and informative.  We have done some research and it seems you are a prime tit. Well done.

To everyone else who has raised concerns about The Great British Relay please use our contact us page or contactly me directly on /forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gifaul@greatbritishrealy.com]paul@greatbritishrealy.com 

@Dave the Ex-Spartan you are truly a waste of oxygen

• Options
    You didn't research the A5117 very well tho....

Lots of questions posted above that you are still avoiding...

Come lean or or go away
  • Options

I don't know what happened above but the email address is paul at greatbritishrelay dot com

• Options

No matter who you are or where you are. We stand for running.

Our belief is that you can do it, no matter how hard it seems,you will do it.

We stand for running.

• Options
    What's wrong with answering the questions that have been asked here, by responding here ?