Great British Relay World Record Attempt

Comments

• I paid £30 to take part in this event, and £25 to take part next year.  I regard this as money well spent, I had a great evening, it helped to focus my training, I met some fantastic runners and got a tee shirt I am proud to wear.  Paul put a huge amount of time and effort into this - I hope he did make money, I would like to think he was well rewarded financially for his efforts but I suspect he made very little or a loss. 

• If anyone would like to enter this event and are worried about the cost.  Please join me for stage 369 20.6.2015 21.15 outside Bridge Bike Hire in Wadebridge, Cornwall.  Please check the website/contact me nearer the time in case the baton is running early or late.  I would love to run with a huge team next year. 

• I'd be worried about the cost of getting to Wadebridge image

The route came right past my house, So I may have been tempted to join in if my questions had been answered, And I did offer Paul a coffee if he called.

(I remember one of my questions was, as the route passing my house was on private land, what did the land owner think of Paul charging people to run on someone elses land.....  It was soon after that I was called a Scumbucket)

• Cheers Nick, I love you as well

• I am definitely not Paul.  I have never posted on the site before yesterday but have used it for years for advice about injuries, kit, training plans, events etc.

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

I don't understand how there can be a Great British Relay World Record attempt - as if a relay is run round any other coast line than Great Britain it's a different course and therefore there can't be a world record. On the other hand, in the olds when I was reasonable, my club Barking Road Runners, won a version of the London to Brighton Relay which was run from Muswell Hill to the top of Ditchling Beacon. We knocked over an hour off the then course record, which I suppose makes us technically the World Record Holders for the London to Brighton (starting in Muswell Hill and finishing on the top of Ditchling Beacon) Relay - (we lost it to Serpentine the following year but they cheated and put a lot of ringers in though wheras we only had one).

I suppose World Record sounds better than Great British Relay Course Record attempt 

ANd I have never been on this site before either and I'm not Paul (well OK I have been on it before but have never posted) ((Well OK I have posted on it before but nothing that ever made sense)).

• XX1XX1 ✭✭✭
    Grendel3 wrote (see)

I don't understand how there can be a Great British Relay World Record attempt - as if a relay is run round any other coast line than Great Britain it's a different course and therefore there can't be a world record. On the other hand, in the olds when I was reasonable, my club Barking Road Runners, won a version of the London to Brighton Relay which was run from Muswell Hill to the top of Ditchling Beacon. We knocked over an hour off the then course record, which I suppose makes us technically the World Record Holders for the London to Brighton (starting in Muswell Hill and finishing on the top of Ditchling Beacon) Relay - (we lost it to Serpentine the following year but they cheated and put a lot of ringers in though wheras we only had one).

I suppose World Record sounds better than Great British Relay Course Record attempt 

ANd I have never been on this site before either and I'm not Paul (well OK I have been on it before but have never posted) ((Well OK I have posted on it before but nothing that ever made sense)).

That doesn't make sense to me (although I am easily confused)...  Would you seriously suggest that all 4 x 100m relay world records must be set on the same course/track?  Maybe I'm missing your point...

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Grendel/XX1, I have defended the organisers (and I'll say again, I do not know him and have nothing at all to do with him), but even I do not know what "world record" it is that was supposed to be broken.  All I do know is that those I know personally who took part thoroughly enjoyed the event.  These are seasoned club runners who race regularly and are not easily swayed by gimmicks and are generally quite vocal if a particular race/event is badly organised etc.

• I am pretty sure Paul is male, I'm not and he lives in the North East, I do not.  I understood this to be an attempt at breaking the world record for the longest distance continuous running relay.

• Dee.I'm glad that you are happy to pay £30 to run......its great that people enjoy an event...

But I am paying someone £30 to run so that they can have a big holiday .then i want to know that I am doing that to be honest.....they you can choose.....

Its a great way to have a holiday.get hundreds of people to run near there own house where they could run any day and pay for you to have a holiday travelling around the holiday./

Its a great business plan which if everyone is happy then makes it a brilliant event.....

but if you come on a public place like this then I think you can expect to be asked a few questions about things...

• Most of my runs are free, from my house and around the coast path.  I sometimes end up paying for car parking, petrol, entry fees, ferry fees, water, coffee.  I have wasted far more than £30 in the past buying clothes and shoes I don't wear.  If someone has a good idea and works hard to get people involved that's great.  This was a unique event, unlike a race and I hope it becomes an annual event.  My offer stands if anyone is in Cornwall next June they are welcome to run stage 369 for free - just don't drop the baton or be weird.

• Ah well if we are to allowed to be weird that counts out 90% of the people here
  • Dave The Iron Ex- Spartan wrote (see)
    Does Paul answer questions on Facebook or Twitter ?

No he doesn't , In fact its pretty much the same as it was here

I had deliberately tried to stay out of this debate 

I took part in the GB Relay and paid my £30 I signed up when it was going to be attempted in 2013 and then it got put forward to 2014 

I completely enjoyed it at the time, got a thrill out of running my stage, met lots of new people and made some new friends out of it, I then took part in another stage ( that was free ) which was run by a few folks ( members of running clubs ) again had a thrill 

BUT  and a big BUT 

on the GB relay forum when questions about money or had another opinion the they got deleted

a post that said maybe it would be better if we concentrated on this year and see whether we break the record first before launching the same event in 2015, got deleted

A post saying that they thought the route was going to be different next year, got deleted

when questions about what do we get this year for our  money as its the same price as last year and this year there is no t.shirt   It was deleted 

I'm sure that runners query the price of a run ( or is it just me ) it is not a crime to question whether the run is good value for money before entering

surely as a runner you look to see what you are getting, medal, t.shirt, goody bag how much cost is involved as to getting to it What you get out of it 

Or am I wrong

well  it appears that mr Raining Hands or now Confused as he has called himself or Mr Paul Shack who I have met personally!! has decided to be unfair and delete anyone off his group that wants to ask questions 

I think he thinks that by deleting the questions they will go away 

Well I'm afraid they wont and by deleting people off the group will only seek to wind genuine runners up and leave them disappointed 

• doesn't seem to have had ant accounts filed to Companies house yet.....

• it appears that his name has changed yet again!!!

• wonder how much tax he has paid on all the profit from the event.....

• XX1XX1 ✭✭✭

I'm wondering who "dropped" the baton...  I don't know how much interest there'll be in next year's attempt but it would probably be a lot less had the record been broken this year...

• XX1XX1 ✭✭✭
    Big_G wrote (see)

Grendel/XX1, I have defended the organisers (and I'll say again, I do not know him and have nothing at all to do with him), but even I do not know what "world record" it is that was supposed to be broken.  All I do know is that those I know personally who took part thoroughly enjoyed the event.  These are seasoned club runners who race regularly and are not easily swayed by gimmicks and are generally quite vocal if a particular race/event is badly organised etc.

I think the organiser(s) have come up with a half decent idea, which no doubt took quite a lot of effort to put together...  And I wouldn't be bothered if some money was made from it...  But the organiser(s) should be prepared to answer questions, relating to the event, that are put to them...  If they're evasive it just looks like they have something to hide.

• I was wondering who dropped the baton............if i was a detective then you look at who has the most to gain from that happeningimage

• and anyone who deletes any comments that are not positive has nothing to hide at all.image

• well the " dropping of the baton" has been discussed too on other running forums and yes think that the same conclusion was reached there too

The whole idea of this was a great idea, its just a shame that openess and honesty went out the window

We all know people make money from races ( apart from the odd race where all the money goes to charity, like the Liverbird Marathon where the RD gives every penny to charity which  can be seen from a charity page ) 

but if runners get good value for money and don't feel that they are having the wool pulled over their eyes by questions not been answered and posts been deleted then they have more respect for the Race Organisers