Thames Trot ultra 50 2014

Comments

• Thanks Ben, for your reassurance and for your advice.

Both gratefully received as this is my first ultra too! image

Hope everyone's training has been going well x

• Can any one give suggestions on running clothes for this.  I am trying different combos but am looking for something that will keep me warm!

very open question I know, but the cold is killing my runs at the moment!!!

• I can give you an idea of what I will be wearing if that helps? image

Hind fleece base layer, short sleeve tech t over the top, skins compression shorts with race ready shorts over the top, buff for my neck, beanie, cold killer gloves, injinji trail socks and Luna sandals image I will be carrying a montane rain jacket and montane over trousers just in case but I tend to get pretty warm after about 10 miles.

I find for me as long as my core, hands and neck are warm im good to go!

Hope that helps a little bit!  

• http://connect.garmin.com/course/5411136 last year's route which was on Roads. Just in case someone wants to see the likely route for if it's flooded again. 

• With regard to clothing, I will say that the weather is a wildcard in this race.   It might rain mercilessly, it might snow, or it might be a cool crisp February day.  When I did it the conditions were good, and it is just as well because I was on the learning curve, and had not brought suitable clothing.  I would pretty much echo what Back 2 Basics says on kit. 

You should have a waterproof jacket with you in case the worst happens, because you will be out in the open a long time.  It might just end up getting a free ride along the Thames Path, but better safe than sorry.  I would suggest that you wear a long sleeve top, and have a spare in your pack to add to it if necessary.  Wear tights, unless you are one of those people who never wears tights, in which case stick to what you know.  Have a buff or beanie with you and a pair of gloves.  Have a spare pair of socks to change into, if your feet get in a bad way. 

Nearer the time we will talk a bit about psychological tactics, and how to overcome the mental obstacles that might crop up here. 

• Thanks Daniel - so the road route is only 43 miles ? That will make the cut off a lot more comfortable image

• Thank you B2B I am now googling base layers, good jackets and trousers!

I have a buff, compression socks,  though now looking at injin (sp) too!!

I agree Ben with the weather I did a marathon in wind, rain and sun but that was shorter than this one!!!

• http://www.ultramarathonrunningstore.com/Injinji-Performance-2-0-TRAIL-Running-Socks-Mini-p/injinji2trailmc.htm

best socks ever! you dont have to buy them from here it was just the best link i could find image

• I love these socks too, although when it's wet and muddy I use DeFeet Woolie Boolies.

• Hi Kevin,  yes the route was shorter from what I can gather. 

The route I posted above what from a 2013 Garmin route so it's what that person ran. They may have cut the route short themselves. Personally I'm hoping that if the race is diverted to the road that it'll still be 50 miles, but if I finsh and I've only done 43 I doubt I'll run around Henley to make it up to 50 image

• It was short last year, I did an extra couple of miles with unplanned diversions - okay, I got lost following others - and it was still only 45 miles. I think the longer the run, the more subject it is to change, be that route, distance, conditions, start time, etc, the best thing to do as a runner, IMHO, is accept it as soon as possible, embrace the change, support the organiser for doing the best they can, and just do it. A bit trite I know, but that's me.

• I had forgotten all about this event. I just got an email asking me to fill in a paper form (when it is available soon) in order to guarantee my deferred spot to 2015. Will definitely be thinking of you all on the big day. I really hope it gets dryer and more than that I hope the wind quietens down a bit. 

Good luck!

• Even though the course was altered last year many sections were still pretty flooded, and there were lots of very muddy parts as well. So although there was a lot of road, it was still wet and cold and muddy, so be prepared. Nothing the right kit can't deal with though.

• I beg to disagree Tiago: no kit short of past-the-knee waders could have helped me deal with that freezing cold, nearly-knee-deep (at least on me!) flooded meadow - and I would have had a problem covering the rest of the course wearing those!!!image

• Oh dear, this isn't sounding like fun!

adds waders to shopping list...

• oh crap, sandals are going to be "interesting" image pfffft worth a laugh though eh?!

• Hello eveyone, first time ive posted in these lands in a long time! Anyways, for some reason, after an ok portmouth marathon a couple of weeks ago i somehow had a couple of beers and entered this as I had been on the waiting list not expecting to get a place. Im now looking at the weather, reading what people said about the last wet one thinking oh my, could get interesting!!

Anyone know how long the tow path should take to return to normal once the rains stop? Im debating whether to buy trail shoes or just stick with road ones!

All good fun I supposeimage

• For what it's worth Paul, my decision will be how aggressive my trail shoes will need to be, not whether it's road or trail, but everyone is different, and I almost always wear trail shoes regardless.

I live by the Thames Path at Wittenham, so I'll do my best to keep you updated.

• Paul, last year there were some sections though ankle-deep very slippery mud on bridle paths; I was very grateful for my trail shoes on those sections - but as Tiago said, everyone is different.

• We had to rescue a chap who had both shoes sucked off his feet in a particularly boggy field somewhere near Abingdon.

• cheers both, appreciate the 'advice'. Ran a couple of miles across mud tonight, definately wasn't feeling stable!

both shoes came off, jeeps, doesn't sound good at all. Hope he was ok to continue! 

Best put the request into the other half and get onto sports shoes!!!

• TH2 thanks for the course updates. Do you think it'll be diverted much on the day ? Impossible to tell I suppose. 

• I wish I knew, buddy, but I imagine the race directors will want to wait as long as possible before making any alterations just in case they can get the thing going on the intended route (obviously this is just guesswork on my part.) We know what happened last year, so we can prepare ourselves for the possibility of a late change of route, and this time we will have a fair idea of what that might be.

I know it's difficult, especially if this is a first ultra, but try not let worries take your energy. The officials will keep us informed of any developments I'm sure, so as long as we support them and each other it'll all be fine. Plus the gnarlier the conditions, the better the stories afterwards.

• Thanks Tiago, Debra and Ben for all the info you've shared so far. Scary, but invaluable!

Are there any parts of the course that are particularly prone to flooding?

• Tiago, so true, and also the nicer the beer or 2 after which is the carrot I always dangle in front of myself image

New trainers ordered, should be here in time for the weekend!!

• Oh no, new shoes added to the list, my train shoes are innovates so don't have the support I would need to run long distances in.
  • It's coming around faster than I thought. I've got some 9bars in the food cupboard ready, tempting not to eat them all now !image

• They had 9bars at some of the checkpoints last year, Daniel.

I'm hoping the water levels start to drop this weekend. I'll pop out on Sunday and report back. At the moment the water is above waist height (and I'm 6"2) at Days Lock.

• always trying: I wore Inov 8 Trailroc 235s for the Lakeland 50 - but then those, although pretty minimal, were providing MORE cushioning than the VivoBarefoot Neo Trails I wore for TT50, SDW50, NDW50 and Ladybower 50. So it's another of those "depends on what's right for you/what you're used to" things.

Tiago: Re. water levels: !!!!!  - I still remember as we set off, when we had been told it was being diverted onto roads and I had been thinking "don't like road but at least my feet will be dry": then we hit ankle-deep water in the first mile and I thought "unfair!"