Options

Why should married women change their names?

13»

Comments

• Options
    skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    seren nos wrote (see)

and i can cook his steak whilst posting as well as cleaning the kitchen and feeding the baby and listening to the elder child read........... if you are talking about a woman ....

it might be appreciated if you focus better on the single task in hand later on.

• Options
    skotty wrote (see)
    seren nos wrote (see)

and i can cook his steak whilst posting as well as cleaning the kitchen and feeding the baby and listening to the elder child read........... if you are talking about a woman ....

it might be appreciated if you focus better on the single task in hand later on.

As long as i don't have to go on my knees as they are a bit dodgy image

• Options
    My married name is nicer than my maiden name . I'm not a traditionalist , if you're married than you are , names and rings are all very well to identify marriage in society , but the commitment is no less without these. In my line of work spouses do work in their married names , it's doesn't mean they are not married because they are known by other names . And I never wear my wedding ring to work , but I do on days off .

My family all have matching names now , which is nice, but until we married we lived in sin and me, my then boyfriend and my daughter all had different names .

It's less confusing when I ring schools now lol
  • Options
    SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

I wanted to cut ties with my Dad so getting rid of his surname suited me fine.

Now that I'm divorcing I'm sticking with my married name for a number of reasons.  1) I prefer it.  My maiden name was pretty naff 2) I still don't want to be associated with my Dad 3) professionally i have built my reputation under my married name and 4) its a lot of faff to change your name

• Options
    Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭

I kept my maiden name when I got married.  I *was* going to try double-barrelling it with hubby's name, but I realised that I'd have to PAY to change it by deed poll - as this is still considered very left field in this progressive country we live in (!). then I'd also have to pay for new passport, driving licence etc. Free if you just take husband's name.  Stupid system so I CBA in the end.  I like my maiden name and I've had it for nearly 40 years.  Also I'm a feminist and am not keen on the idea that I give up part of my identity just cos I'm married (why are people to afraid to say they are feminists here? Am also a Guardian reader :-P)

Kids- I've got two kids by two different dads, both of whom have double barrelled names, my name and their resepective dad's name ("council" according to someone else on here!?). If they want, they could choose just one when they got older. Up to them, makes no difference to me.  Fairly straightforward stuff I'd think

• Options
    WombleWomble ✭✭✭
    I did change my surname when I married the first time. When I reverted to my own surname again I realised how much it was a part of the real me. Second time, I stuck with my name and he stayed with his.
  • Options

I quite fancy your surname. Perhaps I should borrow it.

• Options
    WombleWomble ✭✭✭
  • Options

Yeah, I like having that extra syllable image

• Options
    I think changing your name to take on a spouse's is very old fashioned now. I changed my name upon my divorce. I had to inform every single professional contact and received many congratulations 'on my marriage...'. I enjoyed correcting their misconception and assuring them congratulation was still very much in order

I will keep this name forever because its my identity and another person won't change that.
  • Options
    I do love Rickster comments. They always make me laugh and sometimes I wonder if he actually means them.
  • Options
    OW wrote (see)
    I do love Rickster comments. They always make me laugh and sometimes I wonder if he actually means them.

Of course not. I'm just joking with you. Now fetch me a cup of tea wench! image

• Options
    For some reason Suzie didn't take my name when we got married image
  • Options
    SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

I have no problem with double barreled names as long as they don't sound stupid.  I think it can actually help in a situation where someone wants to keep their birth name to use for their career, but also want to take their spouses name.  It can make things easier with any children as it provides a link between the parents and the child