Windy Runs

Comments

• I presume (and hope) you mean "gets you going" = starts you farting. Otherwise I'll never look at a stick of celery in the same way again!
  • Ay, of course I meant stirring up the winds.
    Although, I once shared a flat with a girl who had a thing for frozen cucumbers, but that's another story.
  • FROZEN CUCUMBERS!!?? But...............
  • Wouldn't you have to warm them up first?? Or risk very chapped lips....
  • Sprouts! And I LOVE fresh, lightly boiled sprouts. I am lethal for about 36 hours afterwards. And the effects of repeated childbirth mean that I can't hold the emissions in until I reach a socially acceptable place.

Oddly enough, I have no problem whatsoever with cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower and other sprout-like vegetables, and need to overdose quite heavily on beans and peas before causing olfactory suffering.

Too much milk sets things off too because I'm relatively short of lactase. My threshold is the amount it takes to soak three shredded wheat.
  • Nessie - sorry, I was so thrown by rb's frozen cucumber post that I completely forgot to respond to yours. 2 Days with cauliflower?! My God, how much do you eat?

Slowboy - I have to admit, I bottled that one!! Doh!

v/rap - 36 hours of farting after sprouts AND you can eat THREE Shredded Wheat!! Scary lady!
  • ChaosChaos ✭✭✭
    Sprouts are clearly the route to an enhanced trouser (or skirt) cough experience. Having watched the truly appalling "Thunderpants" film on the plane last week I can attest that the ingestion of sprouts to confer greater blast force was endorsed by the film's hero. Personally I would add a decent real ale to the mix - perhaps a pint of the finest Owd Roger?
  • Jennings Snecklifter, in combination with a decent steak pie. Sprouts on the side, but they aren't really necessary. Always gets the trumpets playing merrily.

But for best effect, dried apricots. I found out the hard way (i.e. during a hard 10k off roader) that I'm mildly allergic to them. Extremely musical for the first 3k, then clamped buttocks of the 'my god I don't dare fart I'll follow through' kind for the remainder.

Finished about third from last, ran straight through the finish line into the bog and I'm convinced everyone must have heard the blast.
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    HH - It doesn't take much, just a few florets can do a lot of damage, and at a previous job, the canteen "Curried Cawliflower Soup" could only be risked on a Friday!
  • I can't eat three shredded wheat, HH (can't even be bothered munching through two - it's like eating a damp haystack) - but I thought you big windy fellows would find it a useful illustration of the quantity of milk I was referring to.

Forgot to mention Bombay mix and other Indian snacks. EVERY component of the stuff has flatulogenic potential.
  • Had carrot and corriander soup at lunchtime and boy am I glad most people are out of the office today. Oops, there goes another.

Just remembered my all time worst - a roast dinner and two glasses of wine with an Amoxycillin chaser. The doctor said to take the antibiotic at least an hour before a meal and I forgot to one time. "What could be the worst that could happen?" I thought to myself as I swallowed the innocuous looking table. The worst farts ever. We're talking bad. And not just loud and pungent but actually painful as they brewed and agony as they expelled. What followed does not even need to be discussed.................

Mark H/Slowboy - a pint of badly stored Old Speckled Hen created had a rather unpleasant after effect and led me to consider a career in pebble-dashing

nessie - If cauliflower on its own sets you off, surely it's a little irresponsible to consume curried cauliflower soup. You could cause someone to fall down the stairs at work because their eyes were smarting. If you travel on buses just think what the consequences of a rectal hiccup might be. Need I go on? There could be a trail of devestation in your wake.

v/rap - having similar feelings as yours about Shredded Wheat I was unable to visualise the quantity of milk required. Sorry! Must say, I love the word FLATULOGENIC. It will slip quietly (with perhaps the odd squeak or phut) into my vocabulary.
  • I had a near-fatal brush with my sister's former boyfriend's home-brew. It wasn't quite ready for consumption, but we drank it anyway (some of the party were students and I was just being polite to someone who seemed likely to become a member of my family). Not only was it vile, it was concentrated flatulogenesis in a glass and the car seats were well scorched the next day.
  • v/rap - I once brewed/fermented/whateveritisyoudowithwine raspberry wine from a kit in a box. I forgot to add something that I should have added after two weeks. I actually added it about a week and a half late. The instructions said that the wine required another two weeks after adding the powdery stuff and so that's how long I left it.

I reckon the resulting liquid could have fuelled my car. It was potent. The trouble was, we couldn't believe how strong it was and kept trying more. Between two of us we nearly finished 3 litres of the stuff in an evening. I have no recollection of whether it induced flatugenic activity because basically I have no recollection of much at all. I rememeber still having a headache two days later that felt like a small nuclear explosion had gone off in my head.

As for flatulence, I was back on form last night. It was a run that could be well and truly described as wet (because of the rain!) and windy. It was good for another reason in that I stumbled across a load of circular paths that go up and down some quite testing slopes. I'd seen the gate that led to them but never venture through it before. I know where I'll be doing my hill sessions now!!

HH
  • its all right if you can run fast cos you can escape it - but no chance on a treadmill and thankfully it has never happened on a hockey pitch!
  • Could be a defence mechanism
    Going backwards to read these cos im crying, its so funny
  • I think Happy Hobbit's post-antibiotic experience has to rate highest.

Personally I suffer little from wind; it tends to be more the runner's trots that get me.. eek!

I can ALWAYS find something to duck behind however, and am known to carry appropriate amounts of loo roll in my shorts pockets ;)
  • At last I am back online!! Have been on leave so haven't been able to get online at work and managed to spill a glass of water over the keyboard of my home PC which did all manner of weird and wonderful things to the system. Anyway....

benz - BOING? Elighten me. Did Zebedee pay a visit or is it one of these new fangled text-isms?

bune - it can strike at any time, especially when you least expect it!! Don't become complacent!

Psi - thankfully I've not fallen foul of RTs but I suppose the same goes for those as it does for flatulogenesis. Best I take my own advice that I gave to bune!! Did start off on my long jaunts with toilet paper just in case but found that I got rather funny looks from people and, after all, a roll of Andrex down the front of your Ronhills is a bit of an encumbrance.
  • I'd just like to say that last night's nasty smell wasn't me (for once!). We were all standing around, discussing the forthcoming handicap race when this awful smell drifted round. Everyone looked at everyone else then reeled away, laughing and gagging. A short while afterwards, one of the girlfriends let slip (verbally) that her partner had been eating a vegetable curry some hours before going to the Club, and had had a few beers at lunchtime. So now we know who it was!
  • HH, you're right, andrex down the front of the shorts is an encumbrance, I find it gets in the way of the pair of rolled up socks I keep down there to give me real 'Lycra appeal'.
  • dangly spice - interesting concept for a handicap race. One person sets off in front after consuming vegetable curry and a few beers, then everybody else follows trying to fight their way through the fug, eyes smarting.....

slowboy - I was keeping my socks round the back for a muffling (!?) effect but again imagine the looks.

Oh, and rb - if you're out there in forumland, how did Amsterdam go? Drop any good ones? Try any interesting cake?
  • Running Bare did just post on Cath's thread, sounds like she did ok in Amsterdam but no mention of any farting, maybe she thought she shouldn't discuss such things in polite company?

To really drag the tone of the conversation down (and lord knows it's low enough already) regarding your 'interesting cake' comments - as, apparently, the way to enjoy the halucinogenic effects of magic mushrooms without the apprently terrible hangover is to drink the urine of someone who's eaten them - no, seriously, this was on TV so it must be true, apparently the halucinogens go straight through your kidneys but the bad stuff gets filtered out by them - d'you think it should be possible to get high by smelling the trumps of someone who's pigged out on space cake??
  • HH - just back from A'dam. Had a wicked time. Did pretty much all the things you're supposed to in Amsterdam ;-) Oh, and managed 2hours 06 mins for my very first race, the half marathon! I'm a very happy bunny! And yes, I'm pleased to say that a little wind assistance was included in that effort!
  • slowboy - equally, could you drink the urine of someone with extremely bad trumps and enjoy the flatulogenic properties without the smarting eyes and retching?

rb - well done! Good job (or, hopefully not as the case may be). Bet you are well pleased. How did you feel after?

BTW - do you reckon that if this topic has reached out to people and brought them together as a united group of farters, making them feel at one with each other, it could be classed as a touching thread?
  • slowboy - i'm one of those strange people who doesn't have a TV so haven't heard this before! Can't say I'm tempted to try it either - eeuw!
  • After...assuming you mean the race (rather than post-fart or post-cake). Well, i ran the whole thing with my training partner and we sprinted for the line together (being young and enthusiastic), so my first reaction was 'Oh my God I'm going to throw up', causing me to push her away whilst she tried to congratulate me. This was followed by a few minutes of me trying not to decorate the lovely track with my vomit. By the time I'd conquered that feeling it was on to pain: initially my knees, then joined by my hip and calves, and later my entire legs and stomach muscles too! The whole of the next 24 hours was spent avoiding stairs wherever possible - which is impossible in Amsterdam particularly since toilets in cafes are always up- or downstairs (do disabled people here use nappies?). A couple of days later I'm almost healed, still hobbling a bit and the hip is in need of some TLC but no permanent damage. Oh, and there's been lots of smiling too - and not all cake induced!

Wondering what's next... Any suggestions for good 10km races nr London early next year? Think I'll be down the gym tomorrow for a little cycle work to get the legs (and possibly gases) moving again...
  • Couldn't resist sharing this

we've just had a job vacancy round for someone to head up the Financial Accounting and Reporting Team

any applicants?
  • Please! Me Me Me! I'm an accountant!

Unfortunately, in a rush of enthusiasm at the thought of running a department called FART I've revealed the awful truth. And I'm sure I had you fooled into thinking I was an interesting person really.

RB, I've never fancied the hallucinogenic magic mushroom urine trick myself. You can also apparently get some kind of trip by licking some species of toad, and I think I'll give that a miss as well.

Stressed at work, rushing down lunch. Can feel the stomach beginning to burble already, should be in fine musical form in an hour or so. Happy Farting.
  • Slowboy
    - not sure if it's open to external people & it is 'down south' (Hemel Hempstead).

Confession time - the reason I see these things is that I'm also in finance (not qualified though so not quite as barking as the rest of you!)
  • Slowboy - the toad thing I can help you with... apparently if you lick the back of the cane toad (found all over the bloody place in Queensland, Australia) the stuff they secrete on their backs is hallucenogenic. Apparently dogs quite like trying to eat these toads, which you might have thought would provide an amusing spectacle of tripping canines, but unfortunately they are also poisonous and the dogs generally die. Cane toads were originally introduced to Oz to eat an insect that destroyed the sugar cane crops, but (why aren't we surprised?) the toads took over and are now a destructive pest problem. This has led to two popular Queensland pastimes: (1) swerving when driving to try and squash as many of the buggers as possible, and (2) using them to practice your long driving shots for golf.