Options

"Classic" songs...

2»

Comments

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

If we're talking versions of classic songs that we hate, can I nominate Florence and the Machine's horrendous version of you got the love.

Have to turn that off within 2 secs of realising what it is.

• Options

really cannot stand Dexy's Midnight Runners 'Come on Eileen' - sends me into a psychotic rageimage

• Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭
    Stevie G . wrote (see)

If we're talking versions of classic songs that we hate, can I nominate Florence and the Machine's horrendous version of you got the love.

Have to turn that off within 2 secs of realising what it is.

Who are they?

• Options
    the dude abides wrote (see)
    Lou Diamonds wrote (see)
    What's that led zep song with the breakdown where RP does all that

babe i'm gonna leave you?

whole lotta love

Cowgirl - You Tube has a clip of Soft Cell and Jim Thirwell doing a version of Suicide's Ghostrider which is grrrreat.

• Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    oirisheyes wrote (see)

Anything by Frank Sinatra...

I totally agree with that.  

Pretty much anything by the Beatles, but especially Yellow Submarine.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

agree with that Wilkie, but wasn't brave enough to offer it first!  I find all their stuff a tedious dirge. But then it's not my gen-eeee-raaa-ch--iiiaaaan.

• Options
    Monty39Monty39 ✭✭✭

Anything by Bob Dylan. Rated as a "Legend"   Sings through his nose.

• Options

He is nasal and drony but has written some great songs.  Hendrix's version of All Along The Watchtower is amazing IMHO + The Byrds' Mr Tambourine Man.

Similar to Cat Stevens, who's not got a v good singing voice either but has written great songs successfully covered by others.

• Options
    Adele's Skyfall. Overplayed
  • Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭

I actually like Echo Beach, but of those listed I hate mull of kintyre, that song (or indeed any song) by Whitney Houston, practically everything by Bob Dylan, Come on Eileen (good when it came out, awful when its wheeled out now) and I can list the decent songs by Queen on , erm, one finger. The same applies to U2 and Coldplay. How can we forget that Robin Hood song that was number one for 4 months, and I don't get the appeal of 'shouting' Tom Jones.
    When "Hi ho silver lining" comes on at parties/weddings, you know its time to leave.
    I'll exclude the Macarena, thread title says 'classics' 

• Options
    Screamapillar wrote (see)

There aren't any that spring to mind but I do have a pathological hatred of cover versions -  except for "Hurt by Johnny Cash which was better than the original.

Too true. Very rarely will a cover get anywhere near the glory of the original. Hurt must be one of the exceptions and it also has one of the most memorable music videos I can think of as well.

In terms of bad "classics" "My Heart Will Go On" is top of my list. It does indeed "go on" and on and on for almost ten minutes. It's just my musical hell. Weird Celtic flutes or whatever at the begining. I'n not a fan of anything by Celine Dion. Mainly because I'm not a menopausal Woman.

• Options

The description "classics" brings to my mind all the horrible middle-of-the-road stuff by Sinatra, Tony Bennett, Sammy Davis and their ilk, Never could stand any of that lot. Don't like Michael Buble either, he's got a good voice but chooses to go down the Sinatra road too. Yuck! Waste of talent.

I hate any so-called singers who can't. Whenever that awful "One Day baby we'll be old" comes on the radio I turn it straight off. That so-called voice is so appalling you can't even tell if it's male or female. I keep thinking it has to be someone's idea of a joke - like Tiny Tim's "Tiptoe through the Tulips" back in the 70s or whenever it was. The trouble is - the frog croaking it is making money! I'm going terribly wrong somewhere.

• Options
    Demon Barber wrote (see)
    Screamapillar wrote (see)

There aren't any that spring to mind but I do have a pathological hatred of cover versions -  except for "Hurt by Johnny Cash which was better than the original.

Too true. Very rarely will a cover get anywhere near the glory of the original. Hurt must be one of the exceptions and it also has one of the most memorable music videos I can think of as well.

This has fallen off my iPod actually - must get it put back on. (Honestly, iTunes version 11.4 = crap!)

• Options
    Skyfawwww appleww crumblewwww

Adele is crap. Fact.
  • Options

coldplay...any of them

• Options

Adele is a mediocre songwriter but she's pretty good at interpreting other people's songs, not my kind of thing though. Queen was always dull Dads music, I don't know how/why younger people started listening to them. If anyone considers Phil Collins to be a purveyor of classic rock then I'll add him to the list of artists I can't stand, The Police always creeped me out, as for McCartney no hell is deep enough.

Dustin - I never understood the appeal of Tom Jones either until I saw him live (Glastonbury 92) he owned the stage, the man had enough charisma to fill the whole of Somerset. As an indie loving teen it was quite disturbing to admit my favourite act was TJ...maybe I had sunstroke.

• Options
    What Wilkie said + Hotel California.
  • Options

I never rated Tom Jones until I watched a documentary about his life and realised there was a bit more to him than "Delilah" and "What's New Pussycat?".

And, like him or not, he does have a very distinctive voice and certainly knows how to reinvent himself.

I do still think the nose job was a bad idea image

• Options

McCartney was a total legend as part of the Beatles but most of his solo stuff is pretty awful.

"Simply Having A Wonderful Christmas Time" is one of the most annoying tunes that I can possibly think of but thankfully only turns up between December and early January.

I wouldn't say they have written any "classics" yet but why do people like Mumford & Sons? The name sounds a bit like a family Butchers and I'm not sure what genre the music fits into? best described as "Medievel Farm Music"?

• Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭

Vellooo - I was there too, Glasters 1992...(I think?)  The levellers, Carter, the Shamen and if I' have my years right a super sunday with Dodgy, Teenage fan club and Blur.
    Given they played every year and every gig I'm sure the Frank and Walters were there too. Oh and Flowered Up (probably) 

• Options
    Demon Barber wrote (see)

McCartney was a total legend as part of the Beatles but most of his solo stuff is pretty awful.

"Simply Having A Wonderful Christmas Time" is one of the most annoying tunes that I can possibly think of but thankfully only turns up between December and early January.

Oh dear God! I had an ex who really liked that - one of the reasons why he's an ex. 

Demon Barber wrote (see)

I wouldn't say they have written any "classics" yet but why do people like Mumford & Sons? The name sounds a bit like a family Butchers and I'm not sure what genre the music fits into? best described as "Medievel Farm Music"?

Yes - it's barn dance music. Cider and pies and a good old punch-up at the end of the night  image

• Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭

or elbow   , dear God , why....

• Options

I'm with Mathschick - I've only got to hear the first bar or so of 'Come on Eileen' before I fly into a rage.image

I hate 'I Will Survive' and that awful Whitney Houston song too, but not as much as that horrible, horrible, horrible 'Come on Eileen'.

• Options

I love come on eileeen..it is one of those songs that transports you straight back to a time and place in history.........image

• Options

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc292/boomboom_mancini/eileen.jpg

I'm probably in so much trouble...