My 10k training program, advice needed please

Hi I understand there is a lot of threads of similar content of which I have read to get some very useful tips and start me off. I just wanted to get some advice around the program I have made for myself. My aim is to break 40 mins for 10k and then work my way to get even quicker. I come off a pb of 40.53 but that was 3 years ago and last year I was around 43 min pace. My plan which I have been following for 3 weeks now taking tips from other threads and McMillan calculator is the following. Monday - 6 miles easy 8.30 mile pace Tuesday - 4 miles very easy 9.00 pace Wednesday - rest Thursday - 7 miles, 1mile warm, 5 tempo at 7.00 pace, 1 cool, the next week doing 6.40 mile pace for 1k reps x 7 Friday - 4 miles very easy at 9.00 pace Sat - long run 10-13 miles at 8.15 pace Sun -rest Any advice around this being sufficient or not for my goal would be greatly appreciated. My concerns were that if I was doing enough miles and the pacing is right. Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Looks good. I saw my 10k pb fall from 45 to 40 mins over the course of last year from similar mileage. What I would recommend is regular racing; not necessarily 10k. I think it takes a bit of practice to learn how hard you can push yourself. You will also need to recalibrate you tempo & interval paces every month or two.

Lastly don't be afraid to ease off occasionally ; two pace sessions a week is hard on your legs and injuries are really bloody irritating.
  • Christopher Derbyshire wrote (see)
    Hi I understand there is a lot of threads of similar content of which I have read to get some very useful tips and start me off. I just wanted to get some advice around the program I have made for myself. My aim is to break 40 mins for 10k and then work my way to get even quicker. I come off a pb of 40.53 but that was 3 years ago and last year I was around 43 min pace. My plan which I have been following for 3 weeks now taking tips from other threads and McMillan calculator is the following. Monday - 6 miles easy 8.30 mile pace Tuesday - 4 miles very easy 9.00 pace Wednesday - rest Thursday - 7 miles, 1mile warm, 5 tempo at 7.00 pace, 1 cool, the next week doing 6.40 mile pace for 1k reps x 7 Friday - 4 miles very easy at 9.00 pace Sat - long run 10-13 miles at 8.15 pace Sun -rest Any advice around this being sufficient or not for my goal would be greatly appreciated. My concerns were that if I was doing enough miles and the pacing is right. Many thanks in advance.

Looks like you're on the right path. But I'd look to be doing those intervals at closer to 40 min 10K pace (circa 6:24) and the tempo run around 6:40 pace.

If you are well off a 40min 10K at the moment then continue with your current paces, but look to be speeding these up over the weeks. When I first cracked 40 mins I had worked up to a 4 mile training run at 6:24 pace......and was doing shorter reps faster than race pace.

• Appreciate the replies guys. Had a good interval session tonight doing 1k reps at 6:25 pace, felt the burn though. I think Lincoln 10k may come a bit soon for my 40 min target but I do plan to race once a month so hopefully will get better with experiance as you say Lou.

Many thanks