"Two stone off" 2013

Comments

• Hello Shona and Big_G, welcome, and Big_G I haven't got any fantastic tips to solve the marathon training weight gain issue - what I did get into the habit of doing was trying to eat a fairly good nutritional meal fairly soon after my long run so that I didn't spend the whole afternoon snacking.... And then eat a big meal after the snacks. And it was this problem that got me into using a Calorie Counting App, so that I could check the balance of what I was taking in, but as per Shona I don't have the patience to keep updating it and searching for foods.

I have looked at North Dorset marathon before, it looks fantastic, I love that area too. Have you done it before? 4 stones is impressive stuff... !

And hopefully you can kickstart on Monday Shona, and get the 10k entered, you've got a great 10 weeks or so to build up to it... You definitely won't regret it, and we'll help you along...
  • I think you are right Andy: refuel with a good balanced meal, rather than any 'extras'. I've used a few different apps, but never stuck with one or ther other. It must be said that I've really be focussing on running times, and left the weight issue to look after itself. And has it worked? Errr....... no. Not in the slightest. Once I lost the first 2.5 to 3 stone, and was running 20+ miles a week regularly, the weight has hardly moved. So the strategy now will be:

i. weigh myself weekly: more often can get obsessive. 

ii. not worry about tracking what I eat, but I know what I should and shouldn't be eating. 

iii. Integrate a speed session (I use the term loosely!), a long slow run, and a shorter easy run a week. And hopefully a weekly parkrun to look for time improvement. Plus some bike turbo training, and a couple of lunchtime swims to keep the tri-work progressing.

So a bit more training, and keeping an eye of weight. I think the speed work is particularly important.

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

If you want to lose weight, food is really important. You can eat yourself out of any exercise regime benefits weight loss wise. And you can lose weight without exercising.

But I guess we all run because we like it, not just for weight loss. That's certainly true for me, I run to keep fit and because I like it. If it helps me lose weight - brilliant!

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Andy - no I haven't done North Dorset before.  I follow and contribute a fair bit to the Shades thread on RW and she likes North Dorset (she has run nearly 300 marathons, and most of the UK-based marathons in her time) and also a number of my club mates are making the trip to North Dorset so i decided to give it a go.

Generall, training has gone well for this marathon so far.  I bagged a sub-1:45 half PB in Bideford a couple of weeks ago and I'm getting the miles in fine and I'm generally enjoying the training.

My issue is that after a race or a long run, I "treat" myself....usually to the biggest mixed grill that I can find image

For a long time, I hovered around 14st and at the time I was happy with that...for my height that is just about in the healthy BMI range, which is why 14st was my initial goal.  However, looking back now I was kidding myself that 14st was a good weight for running if I wanted to get quicker.  Getting from 14st to 13st has been harder in some ways then getting from 17 to 14, funny how that may seem.  I'd like to get down to 12st 7, which is then about half way into the healthy BMI range.  Getting from 17st was easier as it was obvious what I was doing wrong.  I did have a few ups and downs along the way, but generally it was about staying positive and doing the basics well in terms of food, alcohol, portion sizes, exercise etc.  Also, my wife was incredibly supportive as well.

The main things that have helped get to 13st are a) vastly decreasing the alchohol intake b) joining a running club to help with a more structured training plan and c) finding the Shades thread on RW for support etc.

• Hi everyone, can i join in please?

Not sure how much i've got to lose - a stone max though i think. I've been trying to shift it for the last 6 months (when i gave up smoking) but despite trying to get out at least 3 times a week for a run nothing is happening image In fact i think it's still creeping up, i'm too scared to look.

I'm supposed to be training for the Chester half in May (1st of several halves this year). I was going great guns and had LSRs of 18kuntil 3 weeks ago when i picked up an ITB injury. Couldn't even walk for a week.

My vice is alcohol, a couple of drinks in the evening and i seem to sleepwalk to the kitchen cupboards. I wake up with packets of crisps or minstrels stuck to my face image

I too will start monday...

• CindersCinders ✭✭✭

I'll be starting Monday too, off to Brighton for the weekend image

Lol K80 at the crisps and minstrels.

Was going to add running Dublin marathon to my goals, am plucking up the courage to enter image

• Hello K80, definitely true about alcohol and kitchen cupboards, it's biscuits for me. I did look at Chester Half, it'll be really well organised if it's like the marathon. Hope the ITB injury is ok, I know those can be tough.

Big_G, yeh I've struggled to get from 14-13, hoping this will be push me on, sounds like its really helped your HM PB, sub 1:45 is quick! I'm hoping to come down for the Torbay HM in June, that's one of my milestones to improving my prevously poor HM times this year.

Enjoy Brighton Cinders... and enter Dublin!
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

I'm doing Torbay image

Last year I struggled around Torbay in just over 2 hours.  This was off not very much training though, but I was 14st then.  If I can crack sub-1:40 (it's a big ask, but it's a target and I think it is a possibility) I would be pleased with that improvement in 12 months, but we'll see how it goes.  Bideford is great for a PB attempt and it went perfectly for me, whereas Torbay isn't really a PB course I wouldn't say.  Also, I've got to get around this marathon first!

I've got a 10K in Exeter this weekend.  I should get a PB presuming I don't fall over or something, but it's not a key race for me.  I'm going to give it a good crack though and see how I get on.  The weather doesn't look great however!!

• Well, the way the weather's going (howling gales, something which is a cross between sleet and hail falling and settling nicely on the ground just in time for night to fall and it to freeze over) I can't see the run happening tomorrow...

• Hello.  Can I join please?

I've just got off the scales and I'm 16st 6.5lbs.  I'm just over 6 foot tall though so its spread out a bit. Still, for a good many years I was 12st and looked a lot better for it.  According to something I read somewhere, my ideal weight should be 13st 7lbs.

So, I've got at least 3st to lose. 

I ran the Reading Half Marathon last weekend and did very little training for it. I got a time of 2:38.  Thats probably not much faster than walking for most people here but I'm chuffed to bits and have entered the Cardiff Half Marathon in October and I want to be at the most, 13st 7lbs by then. 

I jogged about 13 miles the previous weekend to get my confidence up and noticed my metabolism seemed to go mad and also the same this week after the Reading Half Marathon. 

I weighed myself earlier in the week and I'm 3.5lbs down.  I reckon i could lose a lot of weight by doing the equivalent of a half marathng every weekend and watching what I eat.  I am most comfortable with a low carb diet and lost 3st 7lbs doing that 2 years ago.  I put 2st of that on again recently, but hey!

So, can I join in?

• No it's not looking good is it. We have a few cms of snow, but it's more like sleet now.

My HM target based on 5k time should be 1.52-1.54, but I've in the last few weeks got my PB down from 2.10 to 2.03. So a long long way to go! Torbays my 'home' course even though I'm in the midlands now, I realise theres a lump between Paignton and Torquay which has to be climbed a few times, but I'd love a PB running in my favourite streets. Extra motivation to lose some lbs.... Enjoy the Exeter 10k, i'm sure it'll be warmer than up here!
  • Of course you can Great Big Fat Bloke, that's pretty much the weight I started with, and well done on getting round Reading, that's a perfectly respectable time to start with. A few 5 and 10ks over the summer would help as well perhaps as you build up to Cardiff? 13 miles every weekend might get hard work after a while... But it's a great ambition.

We're officially a 'hot thread'....
  • mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

This thread is starting to shape up nicely though there's quite a few quick people here!!

I wanted to get a 2hr half mara but ended up not training enough and came in at 2:20. Was pleased with that and managed to run the whole way so pretty chuffed at that too. I'm possibly not as target focused as others seem to be with their running as I've always pretty much done it to keep fit for other sports.

• I'm not quick - I have only really done up to 5k (few training runs up to 6.5k but that was before the evil virus last month) and that still takes me 35 minutes!  I know, other people can run 10k quicker than I can do 5....Still, I've got more room for improvement!

• Got an email this morning from bupa great runs telling me that winter is over. Clearly they haven't looked out of my window! Not going running today - it's too windy here and the snow will make getting out of the village too difficult to get to the group I'm meant to be running with. Suppose I should try to make myself do a session on the crosstrainer instead.
  • Parkrun cancelled and I'll spend the day nervously looking outside to see how the weathers faring in advance of Wilmslow Half tomorrow.

I do my official weigh in on a Saturday, a historical thing from '2 stone off Part 1', no lbs lost this week, but none gained either, not too bad given its been by OHs birthday, we've had 3 meals out in 1 week with different people. Target 1lb over the next week.

Enjoy the cross trainer Shona.
  • Do we need targets? I just aim for a downwards trend. Just to be contrary, I weigh on Fridays, but always start the healthy eating/exercise efforts on Mondays. No, I know this makes no sense...
  • And well done on not gaining andy! Pretty good for a 3 meals out week!
  • Thank you and I agree, anything downward is good.... targets not really need in that much detail. Apparently Wilmslow is snowless so tomorrow should be ok. Dan - was Marple parkrun cancelled today or are you ok up there?
  • Marple went ahead - although it can get pretty muddy, because it is on grass, it is rarely cancelled. Unfortunately, the roads from mine to Marple was too icy, so I couldn't get there. Shame: I really want to do a snowy parkrun. Hopefully, I can get a good week of speed training in, and target another PB next week.

Do you know about the parking at Wilmslow, Andy? Apparently, the ruby field is out of use - might be chaos. Get there early, or even train it up, I reckon.

• It was too snowy and dangerous to get out for a run round here (middle of nowhere no footpaths). So I bought a John Bishop audio doo dah off iTunes and ran on the treadmill n the shed for an hour. I nearly fell off laughing a couple of timesimage
  • I have that problem too K80 - I have a crosstrainer and a rowing machine and I have the TV set up with DVD player. I was watching Twenty Twelve whilst rowing yesterday and nearly did myself an injury - it's very dry humour, so you're not really expecting it.  Previously I was watching Glee which is great because it's very up-tempo and to be honest it doesn't really matter if you miss a bit.  I've finished the first 2 series that I borrowed from my sister in law though.

• I'm doing Cardiff half too GBFB - it was my first (only) half marathon last year and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Well done on not gaining Andy image

Are you doing any Bupa runs Shona? I'm doing the GNR.

I'm not quick Mikasa.

I managed to get out and do 14.5k today. It was supposed to be 15k - but I got diverted by a road closure due to incendiary scare on the way home and just could not bring myself to run past my front door to complete it image

I'm really not looking forward to weighing in in the morning.

• Blimey Wilmslow Half was bloomin freezing.... And thanks Dan, I was there almost 2 hours before the start so got a prestige slot literally next to the race portoloos. Which was convenient I guess.

K80 - bomb alert disrupts training run? well done on getting almost 15k done anyway and on the treadmill stuff yesterday.

Good luck with the weigh ins and stuff tomorrow everyone!
  • I was going to do an 11 mile jog today but I'm sitting here with all my gear on thinking sod it I've left it too late. I can't find my ipod and just went out to look in the car for it and nearly died of hypothermia.  It really is bitterly cold here.  I'll do the run tomorrow, which is something I don't like the sound of but I'm going with it on this occasion and recording my dithering for all to see so I don't make a habit of it.  Hopefully this is just a one-off.

• I went for a run this morning and was intending to do a few Bike miles straight after, but the howling wind got the better of me.

After the Rome marathon last Sunday, and a PB, and a week of decorating for my daughter, I'm reckoning on being at least 2lb less when I weigh myself in the morning, here's hoping

• EKGO, what was the temp in Rome? Was it a bit of a shocker after our weather?

Update on the car bomb... It was fireworks. Still, big enough to shatter some windows and damage cars.

And I had to be part ninja on my LSR today, climbing walls and fences to get around the road block.
  • Rome was great it was about 10 degrees warmer than here, comfy to be in shorts for the run but still quite cool later on.

• grant mgrant m ✭✭✭

The weather is still proving to be bothersome at best! Was very chuffed on Saturday after weighing in at 15 st 3 lbs (down 3 pounds), but even more pleased with myself for getting up early and going out for a run with the dog in the howling wind and snow. Had a great day on Saturday with plenty to eat and drink (including two small-ish slices of birthday cake). I was worried I would plough on like this on Sunday but managed to moderate myself and hopefully back now on track!

Good effort from the crazy few out and about over the weekend (or in the shed!). Don't worry GBFB, dithering suitably recorded! image Don't blame you though, 2 miles was not too bad but I wouldn't have liked to have been out for that much longer.

• Great first week, 2lbs off 14 st 0 lbs