"Two stone off" 2013

Comments

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

2lbs up after some Easter indulgence image

Hope others have done better.

• I had a zero week, so considering Easter not too bad, will run more this week

• Easter plus two children's birthdays. I'm frightened!!!!

• I forgot it was Monday and weigh in day!

I'll do it tomorrow but I'm not looking forward to it.

(Grabs trainers and heads out for a LSR in the hope of influencing the scales in the morning)
  • Phew, it's taken a huge increase in activity to stay the same this weekimage
  • I might have 1lb off, might be the same. Hard to tell - scales are cheap and rubbish plus weight seems to fluctuate a lot. May start weighing only once a week.

Eating been ok. Drinking not so ....!
  • Weighed myself today: better than I thought. Sticking with the two stone off target by the time of Chester: approximately 1lb a week. We'll see.

• Well I thought I'd have put on weight over Easter, no chocolate just being at home seems to make me eat more. And drink more when there's no work the next day.

Weighing myself this mirning I dont seem to have put any on though, so not too bad, I'll see how disciplined I can be for the rest of the week.

Well done Catalin if we're counting that as 1lb, I'm sure we can...
  • Well done Dan - is that Chester half or full?

Catalin image my scales are like that. If i lean forward it's + pounds if I lean back it"s minus... Being in the middle doesn't appear to be a happy compromise image

• Yeah I've got the same trick of putting more weight on my heals to lose a bit!

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Hey all.

10mi bike ride on Tuesday and my first run for over a month yesterday. Only managed 1.9miles. I think if I would've gone a bit slower I would've managed my usual 3 mile lunch time run but without my workmate I would've given up before that so it was ok. Another one planned for tomorrow.

• K80 - Its the full in October. (Isn't the half in May? That would be some rapid weight loss!). Second child's birthday this week: going to TRY and be good. Do you think I'll be able to sneak out for a run this evening when daughter and first-sleepover-friend have gone to bed, and leave them to my partner?

• Hello everybody, I would love to join in too.

I am training for the Belfast marathon in early May  - I ran it last year - and I very frustrated that despite running about 30 miles a week and trying to lose weight for 18 months I am even heavier than last year. I am 13st 5 this morning and my ideal weight is 11st 7.

In the past I have lost lots of weight by weightwatchers, Atkins or Lighter life but all of these were before I started running. These days I try to count calories by using WeightLossResources.com and while this is flexible and easy as a method, and I think writing everything down keeps me honest, the end result is I am still not losing weight because I keep overeating.

I lost half a stone before Christmas on The Fast Diet  (i.e. 500 cals a day,  3 days a week) on non-running days which actually worked a treat but I haven't been able to get my head in gear to do that again with all the work stress I was under. When I lost that weight the improvement in my running was immediately obvious - right now I feel so heavy by comparison. I put it all back on in December. What was good about fasting was the relief of not having to make any decisions about food.

I binge from time to time especially as work has been stressful since Christmas and I think I have been gaining and losing the same 5lbs. Chocolate, biscuits and (baked) crisps particularly. Do I have to cut these out completely? I find moderation very difficult and there is a corner shop just yards away. I work from home in a completely sedentary job and can be to the shop and back in 3 minutes...

How do people who are marathon training shift any weight? I just don't understand how I can I use 1800 calories on a single run, or 3000 a week and still not lose ANYTHING.

I tried rigidly sticking to 3 meals a day and while I felt a lot better mentally, I again gained weight. My calorie levels were too high.

I have a friend, male and 54, who's lost 5 stone without any changes to his diet at all, just by doing high intensity spinning or body pump classes 6 times a week - really pushing himself hard though. Is daily (or nearly daily) exercise the answer? I've been running 3 times a week although I'm trying to get that to 4.

So I suppose what strategy do people recommend? I may have to weight til after the marathon before I make any drastic changes but if I could lose a pound a week regularly I would be happy.

1) Eating 3 meals a day, not calorie counting, but cutting out 'junk' like chocolate

2) Fasting on non-running days, 

3) Eating 3 meals a day, not calorie counting, exercising 6 times a day, preferably high intensity?

4) Straightforward counting of cals via a food diary?

5) ???

• In all of that you don't say how many calories you eat when you are counting them? 

By "your ideal weight", 11.5st im guessing you're about 6'? I'm a 5'10" male, to maintain myself at 11.5st I have to stay at around 2000 kcals a day (give or take a 100) when sedentary. If I eat this amount whilst training say 30+ miles a week I lose weight.

You need to find your own calorie balance and stick to it. One day doesn't make a diet. 

You said your self you over eat, 2000 kcals in volume of food isn't very much, it's a hard fact that if you want to be slim you have to live on the verge of hunger for ever.

• Catherine B wrote (see)

1) Eating 3 meals a day, not calorie counting, but cutting out 'junk' like chocolate

2) Fasting on non-running days, 

3) Eating 3 meals a day, not calorie counting, exercising 6 times a day, preferably high intensity?

4) Straightforward counting of cals via a food diary?

5) ???

No 1 - this will probably help, and whilst I don't calorie count as such, we all know what we should and shouldn't be eating, by and large.

No 2 - never convinced by this. At some point, you will have to revert to 'normal' eating, and any weight loss will return (sin't this your experience?). Fasting causes the body to 'horde' calories, and will probably result in binging.

No 3 . I presume you mean 6 times a week? If so, this sounds like a useful approach: I certainly think high intensity is particularly useful in shifting pounds (and also useful for running targets). Apparently (or so my GP, who is a keen fell-runner tells me), interval training before breakfast is particularly effective in shifting the pounds.

No 4 - Got bored of this myself, but it probably focusses the mind.

• Thanks for the helpful responses.

I've been giving it a lot of thought in the last 24 hours. I don't want to jeopardise my marathon in 5 weeks time so hard dieting or fasting is out. Instead between now and then I plan to

a) Cut out junk completely - eat plenty but healthily

b) Eat 3 defined meals a day without picking and snacking between - I find this gives me a rest between meals from thinking about food and some helpful boundaries  between eating time, and not-eating time.

c) Track everything I eat on WeightLossResources so I keep some kind of discipline and can be aware of the nutritional breakdown (i.e. how much fat, carbs, protein I'm averaging)

d) Exercise every day - even if its only a 20 minute walk or a short bike ride. I work from home so v.v. easy to do absolutely nothing on non-running days. I don't think I can stretch to interval training before breakfast thougH!image

I'll report back in a few weeks on how I'm getting on.

• Woo hoo - new parkrun PB. 

• Congratulations Dan. I wish we had a park run locally.

I've had a bit of an odd week - went mad training all over the bank holiday weekend but have done nothing since returning to work on Tuesday. I've got a 10k charity race in Wrexham tomorrow so no long slow run this weekend.

• Whereabouts are you K80? Set one up yourself?

• Denbigh, North Wales. Liverpool is the closest one.

I have been in touch with parkrun and asked them to consider something in Chester / North Wales.
  • Parkrun are much more driven by the community. If a local group are willing to organise a parkrun, the national organisation support them, but the initial move has to come from the community themselves.

Have a look here: http://support.parkrun.com/entries/22043296-How-do-I-start-a-new-parkrun-event-

Incidentally, I'm amazed Chester doesn't have one, given the size of the place, and the success of the marathon and half-marathon there. Someone needs to get one set up!!

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Is it cheating that I weighed myself this morning cos I might be having a pudding this evening and share a bottle of prosecco? Anyway, 1.4lbs lost since last week. 3 runs done this week,only short, 1.9,3.1 and 3.1 miles. Last done this morning before breakfast. 

• Yes mikasa it's cheating image Let us know the outcome tomorrow.

Dan, I'm surprised we don't have one in Chester too.

I ran 10k PB today 56:25. I know, no record breaker but at my age and condition I'm delighted. I now know that prawn and chilli risotto and vodka are my pre race diet staples image

• Hello! Just signed up here. I started runnning in january as part of the plan to lose weight. Did a couch to 5k programme for the first 2 months and have now signed up for a half marathon (Run to the Beat) in September as my next goal.

Since End of Dec I've managed to lose 2 stone, half way to my target. I've tried dieting before, and exercise, but nothing seemed to stick. What has made a HUGE difference this year is a Fitbit which tracks calories out with every step. Combining that with MyFitnessPal for tracking food (Fitbit can do that too, but does not have a good UK database), allows me to have a pretty good idea of the deficit of in and out calories. So as long as I keep an eye on this, I eat enough for the exercise I'm doing but still have the deficit to lose weight. What I like about the continous tracking is you can look at longer periods. So to lose 10lbs, you need to be short 35k calories. That can take a month or 3 months, it depends on your preference!

• Rachel, 

Very well done on your weight loss so far. I'm glad you've found a method that works for you and especially that you're tracking food while training.

My mistake when I started training for my first half was to assume that the running I was doing would cancel out the extra food I was giving myself to treat myself for running. It didn't. I gained 1.5 stone in my first 6 months of running which I haven't been able to shift yet.

• K80 a PB is a PB I ran the Blackpool Marathon today (so I expect to have put weight on last week) in 4:20 a PB by 9 minutes, I know its a crap time by most standards but I felt like I'd won the Olympics, so enjoy a well earned PB

• ECGO - that's fantastic, and certainly not a crap time (it beats my PB!). How did you pace it? How would you rate the race?
  • I had a habit of going out doing a series of 9min miles then blowing up, my second half was always slow, last two Marathon Rome and Blackpool I've deliberately gone out and tried to maintain 10min or just slightly under, it's working and I find I've plenty left for the second half, I use a Garmin 305 and just wait for the bleep and update every mile.

Race was good, well organised but being a 2 lap job it was hard to start the lap a second time when everyone else was finishing, and you don't know if you're running with someone doing a half or a full so you could get carried away with pace.

• Wow EKGO 9 minutes is pretty impressive!

1 pound off today woo hoo!