Bolton Hill Marathon Day 2

2»

Comments

• It can dry out so quickly up there though, between last Thursday and the previous one it was noticeably drier on the way up to the Mast.  The part at the end of the Roman Road after you have crossed the road, is always boggy.  A week before of dry weather will see the course dry I reckon.

• Thanks Beev, I'll keep an eye on it.

went up yesterday and did the bottom 17.5 (parked at Wilderswood). If anyone is planning on getting out over the next couple of weeks I would suggest this section, good taste of the hills on offer and some good flat sections to push on without having winter hill in your legs.

Message to race HQ, there are 4/5 trees down on the course on the way back on White coppice loop, two at same place on the start of the embankment when you come off the trail, pretty tough to pass without scrambling on hands and knees at the moment.

1 more trip up to do the 21.5 mile loop (without white coppice) for me next week then it's readying for race day. Pretty excited now. 

How's people's preparations going?

i did it with a bumbag rather than pack this weekend with a small handheld bottle and gore-tex jacket, I think this will be my choice on race day (pacamac in bumbag if not raining), just add keys, phone, wine gums and baby wipes image

• That's interesting re trees down, hopefully they will get out and clear all this before the day, Phil pops on here but I will let him know too.

• Thanks Sloan Ranger for the info. I ran the full marathon just before the storms hit and the course was really good considering all the water what had fallen although a little muddy in places that's part of trail running. We will be up at White Coppice on Wednesday morning to see the damage and report back. The Weather is really making things hard work for us and we are really busy along with Bolton Council to put in contingency plans especially in the Park as it was under water on Saturday. It is looking like the start area will be at the same point as last year with marathon City running along the pedestrian road in the park and probably starting you off on the road section rather than the grass area to protect the grass in the park. However will keep everyone updated via email. Good luck with all the training, not long now image  

• ps just wanted to say thank you to everyone who voted last years marathon the 3rd best race in March image makes all the voluntary effort worth while and i am sure it is appreciated by all the volunteers involved.   This year we have  gone all out to make your day a special one image 

• Really looking forward to this - trying to get out and get some miles in my trail shoes as have only done about 6ish in them previously .  Used road shoes for North Wales Trail Half in August, but don't think they'll cut it for Bolton in early March!

• Mother nature has given the course some obstacles to overcome in the way of fallen trees, however all look passable or good enough to jump over, one tree is slippy to get round on the ground but should be ok (on the way back to white coppice) will check it out again week before and might possibly divert the route at this point approx 15.5mile mark. Photos on my fb pageimage
  • WonaWona ✭✭✭

Hillrunner ...I ran up  Rivington Hill ..re your statement early ...well right to the last tip part..LOL

• You're a better person than me if you can run all the way through that farm without exploding Wona!!!

i think it's park run and Trotters 5 for me this weekend to keep milage down in preparation For next week. Otherwise I'll get bored and do something silly...

• Doing the race support for trotters 5 in the way of race arche, see you there
  • Good weather forecast for Saturday but I suspect it's still going to be wet up there. Fell shoes or trails shoes is still the burning question for me as I know there is a lot of hard paths and roads but also some pretty boggy sections of moorland.

If anyone has got a recent update on conditions it would be helpful and much appreciated.

• Yep, it's wet. Monday on the section from rivington lane to finish terrible mud in the wooded section just before climb up through the farm, also bad going down track south from collier's row. Presume bit north of Belmont road and some of the white coppice loop still wet too. It's raining now. More rain tomorrow but Saturday does look better. The forecast says 0% chance of rain on Saturday. But I bet they're not from round here.

• Dan, what are the mile points for those wet 'hazards'.

• havent got ref to the map right now but about 20 mile for world of mud, bit south of colliers row about 25 mile, the boggy section north of Belmont road perhaps 8 mile ish

• Thanks to all, much easier than last year. Big thanks to the first aid folk who helped with my left foot, sounds like a good name for a film. Without them I would have failed. An enjoyable run and it was a run (no walking) in my non-trail shoes, wish I had them what a difference they would make.