The Purbeck Marathon 2013

2»

Comments

• Thanks to everyone involved in this marathon.  I am so proud of completing the course, and although I cursed every hill, the views were spectacular, and the organisation faultless. Thank you to all the marshalls out on the course. I was lucky to finish before the rain started, it must have been tough for everyone once that set in. I lived in Swanage many years ago, and this was a lovely way to revisit the area, and see local places I had never been to before. Can't promise to do it again, but will never forget running it this year.

• Just learned there were marmite butties at mile 15. That's enough to tempt me to give it a go next year too. image

• marmite AND jam butties image

I am upset cos i find i cant process any solid food on long runs and have to survive on gels it appears!

how did you get on MattDA and Marathon Mum 262?

• Absolutely loved it. What a great course it is and the marshals are the best I have ever experienced, all really friendly, encouraging and supportive. The mile markers were a bit awry after mile 18, which got a bit confusing but that was the only minor problem.

I was looking forward to some proper food as I was getting sick of the gels, but when I got to the aid station with the sandwiches, I just couldn't stomach anything proper so had to stick with the gels although I wasn't sure I was going to be able to get the last one down!

Got in just a smidge over the five hours. I considered picking it up a bit in the last mile to get under five and probably could have done it, but I wasn't really bothered enough. After almost five hours running/walking up hills, what difference does an extra minute or two make? It was just great to see so many smiling marshals, runners and supporters.

• Well done Matt. Mr Soup picked up marmite butties by mistake instead of jam and apparently created quite a scene lol.  Could have been filmed for the like or hate advert by all accounts - for the hate it campaign lol. image 

The atmosphere for a small event was really good and its inspired me to start running again. Might see you all at the start line next year. Well done to the organisers. Even the safety briefing was entertaining. 

• I was very pleased with my 4:47, especially as it meant I finished before the rain.  I missed the sarnies, but survived on my own mix of dates and chia seeds. Can't stand gels after VLM, they make me feel queasy now. I hurt all over for two days, but today I feel a lot better, and will have to stop myself running tonight at my clubs track session. Thinking about Sunday gives me a warm feeling of satisfaction, and I shall be wearing my t-shirt with pride on my next run.  I shall be encouraging as many people as possible to try this one next year.

• Glad everyone else enjoyed it. I can't see how anyone wouldn't, unless you were unlucky enough to be caught up in the rain for any particularly long period of time. I only caught the very beginning of it and it was actually quite refreshing for the last mile or so.

How's everyones legs? I was planning on taking a whole week off running after this but my legs felt so completely recovered yesterday that I went out for cheeky 5 miler with a ruddy great hill in it. I felt really strong on the climb, which amazed me after such a short period. I am in half a mind to go out again tonight but I think I will try to be sensible.

• Legs feel good today. I was sensible last night Matt, and didn't join a training session, although I really wanted to. I have decided to do a club run Friday night, we usually do about 6 miles in an hour, so that will be my first run. I am being mindful that we do need recovery after a marathon, so am anxious not to go too mad at first.