Options

Barcelona Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options

Emmy likes to arrange forum photos (she is good at this and arranged one last year for Amsterdam).

• Options

Emmy were are you we need your help.

• Options

All this talk of Garmins going down makes me thankful for my trusty old timex even if it is slightly large on the wrist lol. The time will come I suppose when it fails and I may cross over to the dark side! 

Hows everyone's taper going (bar Wenty) I actually can't wait to ease back, I've had a slight mojo wobble the past few days you know when you can't seem to see the light at the end of the tunnel but today seemed to move in the right direction. 6 @ MP this morning with 8 x 20 sec strides and 8 @ MP this afternoon. I was slightly worried about today but it seems to have gone ok with the second run coming in bang on MP, the first was done on the dreadmill as I just couldn't drag myself outside. 

Massage (long overdue) tomorrow then a mini interval followed by some more MP work (can anyone see a pattern here image) then a nice easy double followed by a rest day. I may swap the rest day for one of the easy runs depending on how the legs feel as the long run on Sunday is 21 miles progression so likely to be quite testing. Fingers crossed for the weather!

• Options
    Banksy7Banksy7 ✭✭✭

I think a team photo in the pub afterwards might be appropriate image

Track session last night 6 x 1100m at 37min 10k pace ... rest day today - crazy foot mobility session unblocking ankle and loosening up planta with physio seems to have worked..... massage tomorrow to work on hammies and calves and a 6 miler in there somewhere too....  going to do some swimming and cycling too.

All looking good.

If your garmin goes down you still have the k markers and the ability to do some sums - may help keep the mind off the pain image ....... worth writing your key splits on the inside of your wrist or something just incase.......   

• Options

Nice session Banksy. I always write my five mile splits on my hands in big marker so it's easy to see and also split my watch every mile which seems to make me concentrate on mile to mile rather than the total distance I've found this has helped massively psychologically. Splitting 42 times may be a bit distracting tho. I'm still unsure whether to run in k's or miles and just go off average pace. 

• Options

Reading this about the Garmins makes me scared, mine is over five years old. Those things aren't made to function properly that long. image I'm lost without i guess. Started tapering this week and my body immediately reacts on it . Did a 12 mile tempo run today and my legs felt great for the first time in weeks. Personally i think this is the most beautiful period of the entire preparation. The hard work is done, you feel your form is rising beacause of the taper and you don't have to train that hard anymore. Makes you forget the bad weeks and all the hard work, blood and sweat you have punt into it. I totally love it. 

• Options
    FlatBoyFlatBoy ✭✭✭

I too had some Garmin issues I posted a few days ago, my 610 blew up, Amazon gave me a replacement.  Meanwhile my girlfriend/training partner acquired a 220!  Really liked it and managed to talk the Amazon people into replacing the new one!  Absolutely love the 220 specifically the bluetooth sync with iPhone Garmin Connect App.  

Mileage dropping right down and I am starting to enjoy the taper tbh, my 6 at MP this morning seemed to be over so quickly!!  Two rest days for me now and then a 5/12 Sat/Sun.  Race kit all washed and ready to pack!

• Options
    FlatBoyFlatBoy ✭✭✭

Just thinking about food (again) on Saturday, has anybody used the pasta party at the Expo previously?  Also is there  a bag drop?  I seem to remember from earlier in the thread there is?

• Options

I have sort have been forced into a taper as a new job in london means i leave early and get back late with no showers here. So reduced to only running at weekends currently. Will do 18m and 8 at the weekend but that may be all before barcelona marathon.

I doubt i will use the bag drop as my hotel is close to the start. I want a new garmin now - might have to break mine! image

• Options

im close to the start too wenty so wont use the bag drop. i see by an email i recieved this morning that friends and family can track our progress on the net. A nice touch. did 4 at mp yesterday and will do the same today. legs feeling not too bad. ill get a massage in the next few day probably after sundays run and then i should be set. a strike in dublin airport has messed up out travel plans on the friday so it looks like we will have to fly to gatwick on thursday night, few hours in a hotel and then onto barcelona from there friday morning. Im not impressed!image

• Options

Sorry to hear about the strike John. So selfish when people do this, it really bugs me. Sounds like you are in good shape though.

I'm going from Gatwick on the Thursaday morning

• Options

I've quite enjoyed doing some shorter runs this week along with a cycle and a swim.  It's coming round quite quickly now.

I'm also staying round the corner and therefore hoping to avoid using the bag drop.  I also hoping I can negotiate a late check out so I can have a shower before flying back late Sunday afternoon otherwise I'll be one very smelly person on the plane!

Interesting what you say about commuting Wenty.  Whilst I can get out of an evening my only option for anything longer than 8 miles is really the weekend.  However, my company are opening a new office in Woking (where I live) I currently walk past the front door of it everyday on the way to getting the train into London.  I'm looking to re-locate there in later this year when it opens.  I've already started planning how I'll be able get out, do 10 miles, get home, showered and travel to the office all in the time it currently takes me to commute to my London office!  And... I'll have loads of time in the evening for longer runs!

This time next year I'll be joining you sub 3h people ...!!!!

• Options

Phil - that will make things easier - i have been lucky in my last few roles and they have had showers.

I forgot about the post race shower - I will be stinking on the plane back home on Sunday to Gatwick - if it smells - you will know its me.

• Options

last longish run for me this Sunday, a mere 16k - walk in the park.  Did my first race of the year, in fact, first since Sept 2013, 11k and I stormed it - in my world that is - as I really really wanted to get under 1h, last time out 1h02.  I romped home in 58.45 so all this fitness lark is working for me.  Now.....will I be able to keep it up for a longer run, I know not, but I hope to get round in quicker time that Paris 2013. So we will see.

Getting very excited about it all now, might even had to find a suitcase at the weekend...!

• Options

We too are staying close to the start so with any luck we may bump into some forumites. Flat boy is the man with the details of our hotel. Be good to meet up post race for some "refreshments" purely in the recovery sense you understand!

• Options

sounds good to me image

• Options
    John BachJohn Bach ✭✭✭

lol - Flatboy is leaving us on the Sunday Martin - how are we going to cope after he's gone?? image

• Options
    Banksy7Banksy7 ✭✭✭

More physio today - was kindly told that my hamstrings are barely functioning ... I might need them for a week Sun!

A bit of ice / heat and physio tape has hopefully put things right.... we shall see

Going for the weekend triple of 5,7,9 tom,fri,sat, then it'll just be short ones in the last week.

Don't forget your 20 min run the day before the marathon! ..... and a warm up for 10 mins and some strides is well worth it before marathon too image

• Options

I fully expect you to look after me in my inebriated state image

• Options
    John BachJohn Bach ✭✭✭

Yeah right Martin- my one weekend away from the wife & kids in 14 years and you think I'm going to be sober!?

• Options
    FlatBoyFlatBoy ✭✭✭

Looks like all you sub 3 boys/girls will be in the yellow zone!

• Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Hey all Emmy's a bit busy so I'll take up the batton. 

Pre-marathon photo: 7:45am Sunday morning by the information desk/meeting point before bag drop?

Post-marathon pub: we're doing a bit of a marathon raid and are back on planes that evening so probably won't make it unless it's early. I don't know barca that well so can't suggest either so can someone staying Sunday night take up the drinkies batton?

• Options

Sunday morning sounds great, don't know how I'll feel after, but happy to tag along to any drinking hole for a quick slurp after a lie down (and shower), await instructions as I don't know Barca at all.

After which I aim to head to Camp Nou in the hope of getting tickets for the match image

• Options

Forecase looks good next week apart from being too hot - expected to get to 24 deg in the afternoon... what time does marathon start?

How do you know what pen you are in? I guess i should look these things up myself really

• Options

just looked 8:30 start so quite early and temp expected 15-17 deg C so pretty warm during the marathon and 24 deg C in the afternoon - eek not run a marathon in those temps before.

• Options
    FlatBoyFlatBoy ✭✭✭

Reckon you are in the yellow pen Wenty?  8:30 start you will be long finished by the time it gets hotimage

/members/images/742324/Gallery/weather7032014.png

• Options

Thats not the forecast i looked at!! - I prefer your one. image

• Options

Looking round different weather sites they do look very different regarding temperatures but most agree with yours Flatboy - Panic over! dont mind 9-10 deg c