Options

Barcelona Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options
    Banksy7Banksy7 ✭✭✭

Dan - I would go and enjoy yourself in the sitting watching football drinking beer and eating tapas kind of way - great weather - great city - good weekend away - whats not to like + no hobbling around trying to get the flight home.

However, I do hope you make a strong recovery.

If you live anywhere near huntingdon, its worth googling Dr Broe he's a chiropractor and an absolute wizard to the point where you leave thinking whether he has done something David Blaine esque.... a few clicks and manoeuvres in the right place could free up the surrounding issues - not something a physio would normally do. I was a big sceptic, but have to say the results seen on myself and others speak for themselves.

• Options

Dan......it's a great offer for the tickets, thanks.  However, hubby (non runner or footy supporter) thinks you should go to Barca with your Mrs and have a good weekend - well, her prob more than you, but you will be cheering on all your "mates" and it will be nice for Mrs to go - esp as you have booked it all anyway. 

Do hope you get better soon - always another marathon to do, and I'm sure you will be doing one again soon.  Don't rush it!

I am certain we will get tickets when we get down there.

Cheers and hopefully see you after the marathon for a beer/water/gin/something....if you can wait long enough for me to finish!?  image

• Options

Dan - I guessed you would probably have had it checked out, but thought I'd say it anyway. All that training won't go to waste, it's all groundwork for the next one, once you're firing on all cylinders again.

The pile of packing on the spare bed is starting to increase - better add sunscreen, judging by the forecast.

• Options

Martin - I do normally but due to a new job and long commute and hours I cant run during the week anymore so need to do what i can at the weekend. But yes a quick 21 miles and then hills next day was a bit too much.

Walking pain free now so looking better (not tried running yet) 

• Options

I have been trying to find a map or location of the expo - but cant seem to find a map of where it is. can anyone help? fira de barcelona just seems to come up with a hotel.

• Options

Feeling well up for this now I think maybe having the long run off at the weekend has eased the mental pressure that builds up at this stage of training, suddenly a wee and a half to go seems so much more manageable and there only seems to be one more session that has me worried. I can't wait for barca now it will be my first stress free marathon where I can (hopefully) run without too much discomfort and take in the sights and hopefully pace some runners to their sub 3 goal. 

• Options

Good stuff Martin - thats the way it should be. I'm walking pain free so I'm more confident now - not sure if to try a gentle run before the marathon.

I'm looking forward to it more than normal as well - providing I'm feeling ok

• Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Wenty - fira de Barcelona, Barcelona on Google is fine. There's only one in the city. It's kinda like putting in st pauls, London.  There's only one.

• Options

Excellent - cheers Sal - Its 4k from my hotel in the centre so quite walkable.

• Options

Ours is 1k to the start so easily walkable. Wenty I'd definitely have a little tester maybe on Friday just to ease your mind, which is half the battle. 

• Options

Lol nearly had a nightmare then. Just a nice easy five after yesterday's hard interval session so I put my watch out to get gps and go and get changed as I normally do. The difference this time is it's a nice day so I left the back door open with the dog free to go outside. I come downstairs to find he's gone and chewed the strap. Luckily. He stopped three holes from where the pin  goes otherwise it would have been panic central! 

• Options

What hotel are you in Martin? last little 3 mile trot later with all my race gear. Think ill be wearing just my nike base layer and maybe a technical tee but depends on the heat. Dont want to overheat.

Only brnging hand luggage so packing will be very precise!!

• Options

Martin - that was a lucky escape! otherwise it might have been gaffa tape!

Or was it another excuse to buy a new flashy garmin! (like someone else on here image)

• Options

Sorry to hear about the injury Dan.  It's a shame you'll have to miss Barca, hopefully you can still go and have a nice weekend there?...

I hope your injury clears up too Wenty.  Perhaps the new job will be a blessing in disguise as you'll be forced to rest this week!

I had a terrible pain in top of my calf / bottom of my knee (I couldn't really pin point it!) on Fri & Sat.  Whenever I put my foot down anything but exactly straight it hurt a lot.  Any twist or swinging of the knee was very painful. I went to bed Saturday night thinking I wasn't going to run the Surrey Half but luckily woke up to find it was fine.  And, it has been fine since... touch wood.

Getting quite excited about this now, did a 3 mile run this morning after dropping the car off at the garage.  If its ready later I'll probably cycle to get it or if its tomorrow I'll run the 3 miles back but otherwise that's me done I think.

That just leaves packing tomorrow before I fly Friday.  I'm looking forward to security with my bag of gels, protein powder, shot of condensed beetroot juice etc. should be fun!

My hotel is right on the route at about about 41.2k's meaning that Mrs H can have a nice lie in and step outside about 11:45 to see me come past, or, if she is feeling generous have a short walk to see me at the 12k mark as well.

The final challenge will be how to limit the amount of walking around we do on the Saturday sightseeing.  As I originally badged this as a nice weekend away in Barcelona to see the sights... which just so happened to have a marathon tagged on the end I may find I end up walking a marathon on the Saturday too! image

• Options

Cheers Phil - feeling better today and walking pain free. I have done european marathons and done all the sigt seeing and not noticed a problem in the past - but i have not treated them as my A races!

Sounds like you will have security all over you - especially with powders and juice etc ! No detenation devices i hope.

• Options

No.  Mrs H has the detenation devices, less obvious that way! image

• Options

Have a good one Phil !

I will be wearing a GB top, so if anyone sees me slacking give me a slap!

• Options
    The MonkThe Monk ✭✭✭

Haha Wenty, any excuse for a new Garmin!  And my 305 has now come back to life an'all!

Sunnysider, try the bus tour on the Saturday, that's what I do every Saturday before a European marathon, you get to see loads of sights, but all you have to do is chill on the bus, eat snacks and hydrate, it's perfect!

This is it for me, I am on a 10:25am flight out tomorrow so I will soon be on Catalan soil. Not sure if I've got wi-fi in the apartment yet so this may be my last message until after the race.  Have a good one everyone, this thread has been excellent, best of luck to you all.  I wish you all loads of luck and hope that we all hit our gold targets.
    Visca Catalunya!

• Options
    GoldeagleGoldeagle ✭✭✭

Morning Guys. 

Sorry to hear about the injury Dan. Hope it soon clears up and you can find something to make up for missing this one.

Last day at work and travelling down to Luton tonight. Maybe catch up with some of you pre-race. I'll be in the Dudley-Kingswinford blue hoops.

Hope everyone has a great race and also a really good weekend.

• Options

First run of the day done in tights, base layer, jacket, gloves and hat. I'm hoping the second one will be t shirt and shorts. 

Dont forget to trim your toe nails image

Safe journey guys hopefully we can meet up over there. 

• Options
    John BachJohn Bach ✭✭✭

Don't forget to vas the nips eh Martin image

• Options

Remind me on the day lol

• Options
    I'm in Barcelona - nice weather. Been walking all day and glute is painful again. Not good. Might have to get the bus tour tomorrow.
  • Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Oooooohhhhh, we have travellers already!  Remember premeet photo 7:45am by info desk/meeting point.  Don't be late as everyone will be itching to get sortedimage

• Options

Very gentle 4 miles this evening to get the car from the garage.  Pleased to be, so far, heading into this one injury free and in good shape.  Flying out tomorrow, good luck everyone.  Hope you all get what you want.  Hope the glute sorts itself out Wenty.

See you on the other side (or @ the meeting point if I remember / find it!)