Barcelona Marathon 2014

1373839404143»

Comments

• Nice to see everyone is still posting on here. What a wonderful city, truly great weekend and fantastic marathon. I've certainly got to go back next year because I don't like being beaten. And by God, the Barcelona marathon beat me all ends up.

Thought I could PB, but went off too quick and paid a heavy price around the Glories on the way back. Had to start walking, I was completely drained. Finished in 4 22, half an hour outside my PB.

I don't know if it was the heat which seeped my energy, a lack of sleep (about four hours in 72 before the race), my early pace or like a clown leaving my gels in the hotel room or a combination of the lot, but I messed up.

Now thinking of running Manchester in two weeks time on a recovery mission because I trained so hard for a marathon and then didn't run one. Not sure if my body will take the strain though.

Best of lucky Wenty and Martin in London, and congrats to everyone who did so well in Barca. As the saying goes, it's been a pleasure. 

• Hi Roger, sorry to hear you had problems. Struck a chord with me because I have the potential to emulate you in Madrid in 5 weeks time i.e. I am prone to going off too quick, I sweat a lot and could have problems related to that. In fact I had a dress rehearsal last weekend in a 20 mile race in Gloucester. Went off too quick, suffered in the unexpected heat, took on too much water and as a result diluted the salts left in my body. Cramped badly at 16 miles and crossed the line feeling very poorly. Hopefully that has given me a timely reminder of what not to do in Madrid! Was wondering, did you take a lot of fluid on board and could that have added to your difficulties?

• The MonkThe Monk ✭✭✭

I should've said hello Flatboy!  I enjoyed earwigging your conversations though, took my mind off what I was doing!!

Feel like my legs have recovered so well from this race, had a massage on Thursday and I'm already fighting the urge to get out for a run already.  I usually like 7-10 days off but I think a little jog tomorrow might be in order.

This weekend is the final blowout of my Barca Marathon celebration, beers, pizza and ice cream then I am back to eating clean and workouts.  I've got ten weeks to my holiday so it's Beach Body workouts to get me ripped for June!!

I can only endorse what others have said on here, Barcelona was a grade A race, I loved it (PB's always help with that don't they!) but the crowd was great, the course was flat(ish) and the city is clearly one of the best in the world to visit.  Do it!

Banksy, snap!  Valencia for November 2015 is next on my list.  Tony Audenshaw raved about it on Marathon Talk and ever since then it's been high on my wishlist.  Supposed to be very flat and that finish looks mega.

I've got Edinburgh in ten weeks then Snowdonia in October.  Since I've recovered so well from Barcelona I am tempted to enter the Robin Hood Marathon in September and like Wenty and Martin Green use it as a training run.  Never tried a marathon as a training run before so could be interesting!  How much slower than MP did you two run Barcelona?

• I ran about 15- 20 mins slower, but depends what you find comfortable providing you can do long runs the week before and after it's ok. I did 21 miles long run a week before and an 18 miles today. Otherwise it may disrupt your marathon training too much. With it though as all that hard work is too much for 1 marathon in my opinion.
  • I ran around 17 minutes slower than planned pace and finished with freshish legs. Trained all week fairly hard with no issues. I'd do the same again no problems it's so nice to run a race with no pressure, you take so much more in. 

• I agree Martin - not sure why I'm going to try and kill myself round London! It's not like I will win! But I guess to you need some hard ones to make the easy ones easy!
  • The MonkThe Monk ✭✭✭

Thanks guys, good to know.  Snowdonia is just going to be a social marathon with two mates at a slower pace than I'd usually do.  Due to other commitments I am a bit short of training time so I figured a slow marathon would be better training than say an 18-20 miler on my own.

• I'll be watching snowdonia the monk, it's on my doorstep and highly recommended. Very tough but could be very enjoyable if not done at full throttle  I would definitely do it again but I'm chasing times at the minute and Abingdon is the week before. 

• The MonkThe Monk ✭✭✭

That's good to hear Martin, thanks.  It definitely won't be full throttle, most likely 90 secs to 2mins behind my PB pace, I still expect it to be tough but there's no pressure on me, will get the camera phone out and take a few snaps and hopefully just enjoy the day.  I wouldn't mind a crack at Abingdon one day, I hear that's for fast guys but with my improving times I am getting there!!

Just completed my first run since Barcelona, a nice easy 6, felt good.

• John BachJohn Bach ✭✭✭

What a difference a week makes - decided to do a recce of a half marathon which starts & finishes in my town - temperature was, at most 5 degrees although was probably less with the wind chill factor - had a couple of heavy hail storms and there were a few brutal climbs!! I'm not sure it was the most sensible thing to do, recovery wise, and my legs weren't thanking me (particularly on the descents) but it was good fun!!

Snowdonia will be my next marathon - 8th successive year for me - determined to go sub 3 again and to train properly for it this time and make amends for not giving it the respect it deserves last year!! It will be my 1st race as a M45 and it would be nice to beat my PB there, although that is weather dependent

• John I know what you mean - I did 18 yesterday and 7 miles hills today and legs still are not happy with me - pace down from normal.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Was lovely to see Wenty and friend at the start. Its a shame that so many people had a tough race. It certainly was a hot one!

• My girlfriend and I have "entered" the 2015 Barcelona Marathon but not had any confirmation e mail etc Has anybody else entered and had confirmation or any idea of the procedure to joining this race . Any help would be great. Thanks

• I've entered it and had an email confirmation from info@zurichmaratobarcelona.es. Hope this helps. Happy training !
  • Thanks super coops. Don't look like our entries went through then. We will take a look and try again . A big thanks for the replyimage

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Alan - i'd check in your spam as my first one was in the spam.