Options

Barcelona Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options

Interesting you say that Goldeagle as i was looking at Edinburgh as its in May,but something about it just does not quite make me sign up.... even less likely to now!

Maybe one day.

• Options

My least favourite marathon has to be Windemere although perhaps I expected a lot more from it & I probably wasn't as physically and mentally fit as I'd have liked. Not as picturesque as many make out and there is a 5 mile stretch just after halfway which is on the main road with no footpath - not a particularly enjoyable, or safe, section!

• Options

Wenty, I'm sure you'd have a great weekend. Really like Edinburgh itself. It's just that after we left the city the course didn't do anything for me at all.

John, Windermere was one I've wanted to do over the past couple of years but it always falls around the time of my daughter's birthday so it hasn't happened yet.

• Options

What marathons do you have lined up for the coming year Goldeagle?

• Options

Have only got Barcelona booked at present. Just pleased to have got through a few weeks running after achilles problems. Probably looking to go back to Palma in the Autumn. Quite like the idea of some Autumn sunshine. And if they don't mess around with the qualifying time I've got a GFA for London 2015. Assuming the body stays in one piece would really like to try some sort of Ultra in 2014. Maybe just 50k to start. Salisbury 54321 in August gets good reports.

• Options

I've done Windermere and quite enjoyed it. Not the fastest course by a long way but quite scenic and from what I can remember the last six miles or so are all downhill save for the last 300m which are up a sharp hill. Like. John says it does get a bit scary running along the road with no pavement but dare I say it, it's no worse than snowdonia for long stretches. I dare say after that last comment I'm going to get pushed along on my hilly run tomorrow with snowdonia's biggest fan image  

When is everyone planning on starting training for barca? I have my local half marathon on Sunday and I'm hoping that five weeks post marathon I can put in a decent effort having an extra weeks recovery than last year will help too. Three weeks solid training with no repercussions have helped too although today's interval was a struggle but aren't they always!

• Options

I'm starting my training just after new year, 2 weeks to recover after portsmouth marathon so should have a good base to start from. Barcelona is actually going to be a training run for me for London so my plan starts 1st week jan till mid april.

Barcelona is only 15-16 weeks away so i presume most will be starting in the next few weeks if not already started.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Windermere is on my bucket list as I have a lot of friends that have done/are doing the TenInTen for Brathay so it'd be more to support them on their journey on the last day.

Does anyone have any interval training/pyramid/speedwork training that they'd recommend? I'm looking to "jazz" up my plan a little.

• Options

Hola, barcelona. Todos listos?

• Options

Que? Am only 2 weeks into my P&D 18-week schedule, so no, not really. Coming off virtually no running between the end of May and about 6 weeks ago needed to build everything back up and I think I'm getting there. Have managed a couple of slow 15s and a 16 so feeling optimistic. Just 13 on the plan for tomorrow with 8 at mara pace.

All you guys coming off the back of Autumn marathons should have a really good base to build from.

Sorry Emmy, don't have any fancy interval stuff. Not my favourite sessions and tend to try to enter a few races to compensate for not doing enough of them. Wrong I know.... image

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Goldeagle - I'm not a fan of them anyway but I find that they work. I wish I could use your excuse of entering races to compensate... but I end up running them at my marathon pace anyway image

• Options

I also am not really a fan of intervals. However i do hillwork, which i think is just as good. I do fartleks sometimes if i feel like it

• Options

Unfortunately no base for me after Snowdonia given averaged about 25miles pw in the few months leading up to the event. My (struggling) performance at Snowdonia was one of the things which has given my running a kick start and I'm currently building up easy mileage (over 40 for the last 2 weeks - highest in 6+months) before starting a 12 week block (not a "plan" as such) at the end of December.

I'm not a huge fan of intervals, certainly not shorter interval sessions - the shortest "intervals" I'll probably do this time will be 1mile efforts (@10k race effort) x 6 (recovery to vary over the 12 weeks)

• Options

John, Sounds like a pretty good base to me!

• Options

I'm getting there Wenty thanks - mainly easy running for the next month before picking up the training. Looking to run this one "comfortably" to pace rather than "racing it" as I've done most of my recent marathons. Also want to take in the sites - my wife said it's a beautiful city - if she hadn't have gone there fore a girly weekend last year I doubt I'd have done this marathon!!

• Options

Conwy half marathon completed yesterday with a new pb and a massive smile on my face, 16 week marathon training schedule starts today!!!

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Well done Philip!! How was the race itself? good? How much of a PB did you get?

• Options

Thanks Emmy. Conwy is a nice picturesque course starting at Conwy castle, over the suspension bridge along a sandy path, up and around the Great Orm and back, not quite as flat or as easy underfoot as I thought but still managed to knock almost 9 mins of my pb(1:38:29). About 2,700 runners, decent support all the way around and good weather all helped.

• Options

Wow well done phillip - thats some serious time knocked off your pb!

• Options

Thanks, Only really started running this year, so I guess once my fitness is up to a level I shouldn't expect to knock 9 mins off every time. image

• Options

Ah that makes sense - i use to know minmutes off now i'm down to seconds image

• Options

Well done Phillip, I ran yesterday too. It would be rude not to living a mile from the start line! Weather was perfect wasn't it! I managed to knock nearly a minute of my pb too and was three minutes quicker than last year so was really pleased!

• Options

Very quiet on here! Where is everyone?

• Options
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Ive not been getting notifications from this thread image I'm doing well.... actually very much looking forward to Barca!

RS - Training? What's that?image

• Options

A friend and I are all paid up and entered for this one.....  we should designate a bar in Barcelona for a marathon RW celebratory drink! image

Currently trying to put a marathon schedule together.... the Pfitzinger one looks a little too heavy on looking at your watch and HRM all the time, which for me takes some of the enjoyment out of things - 50/50 of that kind of thing I think.

Currently doing a good VO2 max session on the track on a Tuesdays and a few runs during the week around 6-9 miles..... going to start building the long runs up to 20 miles on a Sunday, and then a medium long run during the week of around 12-13 .....

anyone got any good plans they could perhaps share? Think its a case of taking elements from a few different ones and customising a plan to suit your own lifestyle / schedule etc...

Did my first Marathon at Yorkshire Marathon couple months ago, was surprised by how easy the first half felt and how hard the last 6 miles felt! image .... 3:16 - which I was pretty pleased with. So now the real challenge is seeing whether close to 3 hours - or very optimistically 2:59:59 is possible!! YEAAAAH

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Sheffield - welcome to the thread. We will sort out a bar... i'm currently asking a few people that have done it before to give recommendations of where to go post race.

I started out using Shades plan (there's a thread on here) but now i tend to use a hybrid of P&D55miles a week but mine is based upon feel rather than HRM. Are you in a club? or how do you measure your V02 sessions on a tuesday?

Well done on your first marathon! I heard Yorkshire was a really good one with the crowds and spectators.

• Options

Agree re the P&D schedule SB - the only time I've really tried to follow a plan - struggled to fit in the runs (particularly mid week ones - difficult to get out for more than an hour midweek), started to not enjoy the running and, perhaps as a result, picked up a niggle! I'll be doing my own thing although it ain't a million miles away from some of the plans - 1 or 2 "sessions" a week (a mixture of interval/tempo/hills sessions), easy runs in between and a long run at the weekend, in which I'll start doing a few miles at target marathon pace in the 2nd half of the run as the weeks progress. Flexibility and variety will be the key although I will be doing more miles at target marathon pace than in training for previous marathons. I will also be running (quite hard) a half marathon

• Options

Im on the P&D plan, but not sticking to the intricate stuff, just a outline plan and tailor it to what i want to do and feel like. So pretty pointless really, but at least i feel like im taking it seriously image

Banksey if your first marathon was 3:16 (great effort)  then i certainly think 3 hours could be a possibility, but there is a massive gap between 3:16 and 2:59. I did 3:13 last year and aiming for 2:59, but not really confident in all honesty! See how the training goes.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

A question for you guys - how much do you stick to your paces and where do you get it from? I've been using race times as an indication of my VDOT paces and trying to stick to those for my runs as well as focusing on how a certain pace "feels". What do others do?