The Bible

Comments

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

It could be said that social groups with religion at their core were more successful. This is true, all singing from the same hymn sheet sort of thing.

Certain guidelines for behaviour have become so universally accepted we tend to ignore where they came from.

The issue is whether to believe the supernatural aspects of religions. Its the hocus pocus voodoo nonsense that spoils the credibility of those promoting their thing.

Needless to say there are some who claim to have seen or been touched by God. When in all reality they've just had a minor brain seizure or been on some 'gear'.

🙂

• SideBurnSideBurn ✭✭✭

Thank you 'TheVicar' I knew I could rely on you!

But have you told my employer I do not need to turn up for work for the next four days? 'Cos I am sure they are expecting me! I have got the chocies in though!

As far as historic references go; are there not references to Jesus in the Quran?

• Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭

I come into this from a fairly neutral standpoint.  But one things seems clear to me. 

MOST atheists (a very large majority in my estimation) put blind faith in what is fed them by todays individual-self-obsessed culture, and constantly regurgitate the same old tired arguments.  Arguments that are usually ill-thought-through, poorly researched and based on little evidence.

Ironic really image

• Atheists are simply people that don't believe in God Run Wales.

"MOST atheists (a very large majority in my estimation) put blind faith in what is fed them by todays individual-self-obsessed culture, and constantly regurgitate the same old tired arguments.  Arguments that are usually ill-thought-through, poorly researched and based on little evidence."

Non-belief isn't something you have to research. Also, in my experience, evidence is one thing that atheists are extremely keen on. Perhaps you'd care to explain what you mean.

You certainly seem to be confusing "self obsessed" with "independently-minded".

• KenbroKenbro ✭✭✭

I thought that this was a running forum. This thread is another example of god botherers spouting their usual nonsense. Is the internet the new heathen land to carry out missionary work?  Saves the bother of leaving the house to convert the great unwashed. 

• Run Wales wrote (see)

MOST atheists (a very large majority in my estimation)... and constantly regurgitate the same old tired arguments.  Arguments that are usually ill-thought-through, poorly researched and based on little evidence.

In which case they should be easy to rebutt.  Doesn't seem to happen though image

• room for improvement wrote (see)

I thought that this was a running forum. This thread is another example of god botherers spouting their usual nonsense. Is the internet the new heathen land to carry out missionary work?  Saves the bother of leaving the house to convert the great unwashed. 

This is Clubhouse where you can discuss anything at all.

You'll also find that all religion vs atheist debates end in a draw. Not much conversion goes on since you can't do much "missionary work" among people who have already made up their minds.

• SideBurnSideBurn ✭✭✭
    room for improvement wrote (see)

What did you expect from a thread entitled 'The Bible'?

• That concludes this edition of The Big Questions. See you next week.

• KenbroKenbro ✭✭✭
    Screamapillar wrote (see)
    " constantly regurgitate the same old tired arguments.  Arguments that are usually ill-thought-through, poorly researched and based on little evidence"
  • KenbroKenbro ✭✭✭

sounds like the bible to me

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

To quote the Bible - he is not the messiah he is a very naugthy boy.

I have no proof that it is a crock of sh*t but to me it is one big fairy story

•  

Just read a book for the second time called " Babylon " by Paul Kriwaczek, well presented and lots of discussions on religion, quite enlightening.

• the most bought book in the world, and ironically the most stolen book also.

• TheVicar wrote (see)

Lardarse the CofE is part of the holy catholic Church so not true

"Initially prompted by a dispute over the annulment of the marriage of King Henry VIII to Catherine of Aragon, the Church of England separated from the Roman Catholic Church in 1534 and became the established church by an Act of Parliament in the Act of Supremacy, beginning a series of events known as the English Reformation. During the reign of Queen Mary I and King Philip, the Church was fully restored under Rome in 1555. Papal authority was again explicitly rejected after the accession of Queen Elizabeth I when the Act of Supremacy of 1558 was passed. Catholic and Reformed factions vied for determining the doctrines and worship of the church. This ended with the 1558 Elizabethan settlement, which developed the understanding that the church was to be both Catholic and Reformed".

What's not true? The church of England wasn't reformed due to Henry VIII? I'm pretty certain there's plenty of actual real written records of this happening...unlike anything in your bible. My comment stands, your church may come under the umbrella of the wider catholic church (frankly I don't care what name you give to a lie) but it branched off because a man wanted to shack up with a new floozy. You can't put a positive spin on that, which ever way you look at it the church of England lacks the moral code and christian ideals it preaches.

TheVicar wrote (see)

I agree. Me versus the world on here but its always good fun to have an argument with you heathensimage

HAPPY EASTER AND GOD BLESS YOU ALL image

What does that tell you? 

The only person who still believes enough to talk about their belief is a vicar. Who used to be an atheist but had an undisclosed epiphany.

It's true, an internet discussion will not change deeply entrenched views, but it may enlighten those who've yet to make up their mind.

BTW, who ever said "there must be evidence of Jesus in the Koran"... the Koran was written in 632 AD (at least they have a date) some 400 to 500 years after the bible was supposedly written, so it would hardly be good evidence of Jesus's existence. 

• Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭
    Screamapillar wrote (see)

Atheists are simply people that don't believe in God Run Wales.

"MOST atheists (a very large majority in my estimation) put blind faith in what is fed them by todays individual-self-obsessed culture, and constantly regurgitate the same old tired arguments.  Arguments that are usually ill-thought-through, poorly researched and based on little evidence."

Non-belief isn't something you have to research. Also, in my experience, evidence is one thing that atheists are extremely keen on. Perhaps you'd care to explain what you mean.

You certainly seem to be confusing "self obsessed" with "independently-minded".

Atheists are indeed simple people who don't believe in God.  That's a very good description (for that big majority)

What I mean is that, nowadays, people have atheism thrown at them from all angles.  People take the piss out of people with belief in the most flippant of ways... and that means that kids are too embarrassed to even contemplate looking at religion. It's just completely uncool.

So very many people under 50 have either had little religious education, or they deliberately didn't listen (because it wasn't cool).

So... the view is passed on from father to son, from Mother to daughter, friend to friend, internet forumite to internet forumite....   It's all Ya-boo.  God botherers are idiots who could never prove that God exists.  And religion causes all the war and misery in the world, blah blah.

That's the poorly researched view I'm talking about. By the way, there is a very small minority of atheists who are extremely intelligent, deep thinkers who make a very good argument for their view - and some people are in-between - but most are simple people who blindly accept and regurgitate limp arguments. A load of 'atheist gimps' as someone else on this thread might have described them (don't be offended, read the thread!image).

And if you think that Thatcher's legacy is essentially an 'independently-minded'  rather than a 'self-obsessed' culture then it's you that's confused! (IMO).  Today, people put their own rights WAY above the rights of society and way above the good of society. Thatcher taught us that we should look after number one.

• Talking of research, as you were, I think you should do some on Margaret Thatcher. You appear to be a little confused yourself. Incidentally my understanding is that she came from a devout religious background, her father was a Methodist preacher, and that she held deep religious views herself.

• The Bible at least confirms one thing. 2000 years ago a man died and just to make sure he was dead a roman soldier  finished him off with his sword or spear multiple accounts of this taking place.

He was then buried, 3 days later there are more multiple accounts that he had come back to life. Proof as if any was needed that zombies exist and are in fact worshipped to this day by many cults around the worldimage

if it's in the Bible then it must be true.

Now where is  Richard Dawkins when you need him

• If there was a God he wouldn't have created a world where there was so much suffering. Proof that he does not exist.

• Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭
    Ploddersoftheworldunite wrote (see)

Talking of research, as you were, I think you should do some on Margaret Thatcher. You appear to be a little confused yourself. Incidentally my understanding is that she came from a devout religious background, her father was a Methodist preacher, and that she held deep religious views herself.

People do like to call one another confused, don't they! image

Are you suggested that Thatcher was all about social cohesion  -  share and share alike?

Are you suggesting that the UK has an all-for-one, one-for-all culture?  That we look after our families and neighbours as well as we did 60 years ago?

Or are you trying to divert attention from the argument?

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Even as a kid I found all that praying in church business gave me the creeps. The sight of all these people detaching themselves mentally struck me as just weird.

As for all those who thank God for saving them from some disaster or other, I assume it was the same God that sent the disaster in the first place and put them in it.

🙂

• Run Wales wrote (see)

Talking of research, as you were, I think you should do some on Margaret Thatcher. You appear to be a little confused yourself. Incidentally my understanding is that she came from a devout religious background, her father was a Methodist preacher, and that she held deep religious views herself.

People do like to call one another confused, don't they! image

Are you suggested that Thatcher was all about social cohesion  -  share and share alike?

Are you suggesting that the UK has an all-for-one, one-for-all culture?  That we look after our families and neighbours as well as we did 60 years ago?

Or are you trying to divert attention from the argument?

You started it !

With regard to your point of view on families and neighbours one of the key points in Thatcher's philosophy was that we should be more prepared to help but all too often people look to the state as the first point of call. When all's said and done this is the fundamental political question...what should be the size of the state? Pesonally I believe it should be a lot smaller. With regard to the main point of the thread, I'm an atheist.

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

I ran out of things to listen to on Long Runs last year. I'm not religious but listened to the Old and New Testament to remind me what Sunday School was all about. You get a much better yarn in the Old Testament.

I did laugh out loud when my dogs came up in the book of proverbs

"As a dog returneth to his vomit, so a fool returneth to his folly." Bang on.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Also-ran wrote (see)

I ran out of things to listen to on Long Runs last year. I'm not religious but listened to the Old and New Testament to remind me what Sunday School was all about. You get a much better yarn in the Old Testament.

For what reason known to man or beast would anyone want to be reminded of what Sunday school was all about?

I mean, how bored can anyone get on a long run?

🙂

• Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭

You started it !

Er...  no I didn't.  Actually screamapillar started it, and I was replying directly to him/her

Then you jumped in image

As for Thatcher... that's a wholly different debate.

• Apologies for interrupting.

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭
    RicF wrote (see)
    Also-ran wrote (see)

For what reason known to man or beast would anyone want to be reminded of what Sunday school was all about?

I mean, how bored can anyone get on a long run?

It is interesting to form your own interpretation of these things, and not to just accept or reject the Sunday School indoctrination. Life is for learning. Plus it got me through a few cold runs - know what I mean RicFimage

• When did screamapillar mention Margaret thatcher in relation to Christianity? image

I'm a long way under 50, went to a c of e school, I had plenty of opportunity to be brainwashed from a very young age, it wasn't a question of "cool", I had no concept of cool until a much older age. 

Along with teaching us about god my school must have succeed in teaching logical thought too, as I never believed in god as long as I can remember.

As for children following their parents into atheism, well yes that happens, as does parents giving their children blind faith, and political views, its normal. There is a difference though in that atheists and agnostics tend  to reach their position through weighing up the evidence, unlike believers who are simply asked to believe, sheople.

•  

As for children following their parents into atheism, well yes that happens, as does parents giving their children blind faith, and political views, its normal. There is a difference though in that atheists and agnostics tend  to reach their position through weighing up the evidence, unlike believers who are simply asked to believe.

That's exactly what I was going to say but you have already said it for me. My parents are Catholic.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Indeed, a Sunday ruined.

The idea of having to believe in something irrational without question has potential for all sorts of mischief.

The source of some religious cults had no validity than the founder wanting a way of shagging hundreds of women.

🙂