Bupa Great Birmingham Run 2013

Comments

• Thanks. Is it we'll sign posted?

first time doing birmingham. Any adviice re the hill at 10 miles

• should be fine but if in doubt ask for navigation st/Stephenson st exit from New st. then Vic sq and on to new library- can't miss it! hill not too bad - a long drag once you go under the underpass. one short steeper section after a right hander into st James rd but when you are over that, it s not too.bad. flat or downhill from calthorpe rd onwards.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Dead easy to find grahasm. Sure there will be loads of runners around new St then. But what's this talk of 10 mile hill? I have 11 in my head!! 

• to be exact it starts going uphill from about 10.5, steeper at 11 but eases off by 11.5. all flat or downhill there after.
  • I'm driving in from Solihull. Does anyone know if it will be possible to drive through Digbeth and go into the Bull Ring car park through the entrance on that side (i.e. on Park Street under Selfridges)?

Good luck everyone and here's hoping the forecast is wrong!

• Guys any idea what time broad st was shut to spectators last year, got family wanting to watch from there but not stand all morning ?
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Forecast for the morning much improved now. Looks like rain will hold offimage

• Bournemouth - that entrance to the Bullring car park is actually part of the route. No idea how late (it's in the first mile) they'll leave that part of the route open to traffic but I'd avoid it like the plague. Perhaps park somewhere in Digbeth and walk in?

Saw them putting up loads of the signs around the place earlier this afternoon. Really fired up for this!

Best of luck for tomorrow, everyone. Have a great run and I'm looking forward to seeing plenty of PBs posted up!

• Ant, my other half has spectated by the finish area for a number of years and isn't aware of them closing it off? She's just said she's been able to come and go as she pleases.

It's obviously very busy during the peak finish times - she advises that you family move further up Broad Street if they want to see you but not have to stake out a spot all morning.

• Thanks mrandyyu, have a good run folks
  • So much for the weather improving today image

• Sun shining by 10 o clock ????????????
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

And they expect us to believe their long range forecasts!!!

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Weather was OK in end. Any pbs? I had a bad day. GPS would not work initially, covered mile 1 in 6.15 and just nevered recovered. Then my quad strain I thought had gone smashed in at mile 7 and the rest was just about finishing the race. Got through in 1.32.xx. Was just happy to finish in end. Feel a bit deflated now as really felt I had 1.26 in me. 

• That was tough today, that hill doesn't get any easierimage but a time of 1.34.03 and a pb by over 6 mins, legs now battered after running the jersey marathon 2 weeks ago. Hope everyone had a good enjoyable day .
  • Agreed; despite the rain holding off, the course was very slippery. The new hill on the Pershore Road felt surprisingly hard and the monster hill with a head wind just wasn't good at all.

Was 11 minutes faster compared to last year with 1:34:45. My sub-90 attempt never really materialised - I was still physically and mentally tired after the Cardiff Half. Looking at various friends, their times were all a few minutes off their all time PBs.

Well done to all that PBd!

• I have put the first 60 photo's out of 1500 that I took on www.westmidlandsrunningscene.co.uk.

They are FREE to download.

It will take the best part of a week to get them all on. So just keep checking to see if I snapped you.

• Good race again, but the start for the Orange Wave was badly managed. Instead of slowly releasing runners at the funnel onto the course, the marshals allowed a whole crowd of runners to mass at the start line. This meant there was a huge traffic jam in the first half mile. Given there's a steep hill and it's narrow around Paradise Square anyway, this just wasn't smart. Hope they manage the start better next year.

And for all the talk about changing the course, I thought the little detour around Selly Park was a nice little addition. Certainly better than those horribly tight turns at the top of the hill.

• Well done all and thanks for all the pre run advice. The first hill was hard going as i had it in my head that the only hill I would encounter would be at 11 miles. Missed my PB by 5 mins but I think like mrandyyu I was still tired from Cardiff my body knew that I had bristol and cardiff in my legs. I am pretty sure Brian snapped me so can't wait to see. Good day and we'll done again x

• Well done all and thanks for all the pre run advice. The first hill was hard going as i had it in my head that the only hill I would encounter would be at 11 miles. Missed my PB by 5 mins but I think like mrandyyu I was still tired from Cardiff my body knew that I had bristol and cardiff in my legs. I am pretty sure Brian snapped me so can't wait to see. Good day and well done again x

• The problem with the orange start was that there was two pens side by side.

The right side contained the elite/fast club runners with the orange wave behind.

The pen on the left also contained orange starters who were informed 5 minutes from the start that there would be a 2 minute delay between the two pens

starting! Hence the mad rush of bodies climbing from the pen over to the right sided pen.

I managed to change pens and crossed the start line in roughly ten seconds.

Back next year? Of course!
  • Legs battered now though, How're everyone elses?

Struggled big time up the duel carriage way, but managed to hang on for just inside 1-28.

Well done all who finished, also big thanks to helpers handing out the drinks.

Cheers, Loz.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Yes- I would have been quite peed off if I hadn't found out from this thread that the best side to start on was the right! It seems a bit unfair as there were no doubt very good runners ie 1.20 runners then having to make their way through all the slower runners on on the right hand side.

• Had a great day yesterday, first ever half marathon in 2.29 (my target was 2.30) so really happy! Those hills at 10-11 though! Thought I was prepared but not quite enough, thank you to the lovely man who cheered us along and told us not to give up! 

• I thought the extra little hill in Selly Park made it tougher this year as well, and that final drag up through Edgbaston always hurts! Didn't PB (was hoping for 1:55) but still got in just under 2 hours. The start for us slow-coaches in the Green zone wasn't too bad, although I had made my way close to the front.

• really enjoyed it and well organised. the start was a bit of a pain but it allowed it to flow once we had started so I guess it was ok. Great support and I really liked the bands (a big mention for the band outside the cricket ground and the guy playing drums in the music shop).

I completely screwed up my run as I set off to fast and did not have enough left for the hill at the end. I knew it would be bad but was still quite suprised how bad it was.

Will definetly be back to try and beat it.

• My first experience of Birmingham really enjoyed it and the hills were a killer especially on my calf which seized up at 11 miles but more than likely will be back next year, still a while before its as slick at GNR but it seems to be getting there

• My first half completed in 2:16, chuffed with that. Was comfortable up to the hills at the end. Had to walk for a few minutes a couple of times and then dragged myself along the dual carriageway. Looking forward to next year. Did the bupa one in Manchester, bupa seem really good at it. Have to get into the GNR.

• My first Birmingham half, really enjoyed the day. I thought the support along the way was great and helped get me round, loved the bands as well. Have to say that today was the first day I could walk downstairs without wincing. All in all a very enjoyable day, and will be back next year.