Bupa Great Birmingham Run 2013

12346»

Comments

• This was also my first half marathon, and I really enjoyed it. I had been dreading the hills but they weren't as bad as I expected, plus the crowds helped a lot. I finished in 2:09 which I was very pleased with.

• I am having a bit of a rant following results ......I did not realise how elitist and penny pinching this race has become under Bupa Greatrun.  NO age category prizes! It does seem a shame that older runners (top races recognise good for age) do not get encouragement to stay competitive! Prizes went to top 10 men and women only.....how mean when smaller races se to run to (excuse pun) some acknowledgment of vet achievement.....not as if they can't afford it at that entry price!

• I have now put 530 ;photo's on www.westmidlandsrunningscene.co.uk and have 600+ to look at. Keep coming back if you can't find yourself.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Looks like Brian is the only one not on the make!! Marathon photos want ten quid for a 34 second video of me running in a crowd down broad St, for which I am in shot about six seconds! Surerly theory can't sell many of those! 

• Managed to get about that long a clip of me towards the finish line on Ch5 for free! image

• Thanks Brian for the great shot, for once I look like I am sort of enjoying myself. You are a top man.image

• Just got back off holiday, we left the day after the HM.

Brilliant day, loved the distance to run!  It was nmy first half marathon so I now have a time of 2:08.33 to beat.  We were blessed with dry weather too!!!

Looking forward to my next one, but I really am going to have to do a bit of research on preparing my feet for future ones.  Bruised toe on right foot, took several days before I could walk on it properly again lol.  Ironically, my legs were absolutely fine afterwards and the next day, I couldn't believe it!

• Thanks for your kind comments. I have 700 loaded, with another 370 photo's to look at to upload.

www.westmidlandsrunningscene.co.uk

• Hi - just wondering if anyone can help. I;m thinking of doing this in 2014 and wondered how the hill at mile 10/11 compares to the hill/incline in the GNR at about the same place (John Reid Road).  Has anyone done both?  I did 1:31 at GNR in 2013 and was hoping I might crack the 90 mins at Brum - is the rest of the route hilly too?

• Jovi Runner . wrote (see)

Hi - just wondering if anyone can help. I;m thinking of doing this in 2014 and wondered how the hill at mile 10/11 compares to the hill/incline in the GNR at about the same place (John Reid Road).  Has anyone done both?  I did 1:31 at GNR in 2013 and was hoping I might crack the 90 mins at Brum - is the rest of the route hilly too?

Hi Jovi, I am the other way around, I haven't done the Great North Run yet (but have done Birmingham), I am doing GNR this year and was wondering similar as you lol.

I was able to run up the Birmingham hill without stopping to walk, it is okay, just save some energy for it, you will be fine.

Hoping somebody does reply to this thread re your question though as I am curious too.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I have not done gnr, however I found this a pretty hilly course. There are plenty of far flatter and faster half's in the autumn. 

• I took the plunge and entered this. will also be doing Redcar half a few weeks earlier so two chances for a PB!

• Jovi Runner . wrote (see)

I took the plunge and entered this. will also be doing Redcar half a few weeks earlier so two chances for a PB!

Yay, I think you will love Birmingham Great Run.  Have you got accommodation yet Jovi?

• Lotus Flower wrote (see)
    Jovi Runner . wrote (see)

Hi - just wondering if anyone can help. I;m thinking of doing this in 2014 and wondered how the hill at mile 10/11 compares to the hill/incline in the GNR at about the same place (John Reid Road).  Has anyone done both?  I did 1:31 at GNR in 2013 and was hoping I might crack the 90 mins at Brum - is the rest of the route hilly too?

Hi Jovi, I am the other way around, I haven't done the Great North Run yet (but have done Birmingham), I am doing GNR this year and was wondering similar as you lol.

I was able to run up the Birmingham hill without stopping to walk, it is okay, just save some energy for it, you will be fine.

Hoping somebody does reply to this thread re your question though as I am curious too.

Hi, I've run both races and Birmingham feels much hillier than GNR. The hill towards the end of GNR is long but not steep, and isn't too bad. In fact, the biggest hill at GNR is around mile 5 or so, and for me, the hardest single part of the route is the sharp drop down to the coast road at mile 12.
    The hill towards the end of Birmingham is much steeper and really takes it out of you. It starts with a climb from an underpass, and you turn left and think "this isn't too bad". But then you turn right and the hill goes on forever. Once you turn right again at the too the worst is over.

Last year there was also an additional hill at Birmingham, fairly early on the route, which didn't help.

Both great races, but for me, the route at Birmingham is much more difficult. Because the finish line is so close to the start line and the first mile or two are downhill, you're always aware that you're going to have to climb back uphill to get there. Would thoroughly recommend it, though.