That their time has just begun

Morning all

What 10ish commute
Why Work
Lyrics hold on to your sanity VLMers.

ttfn

Comments

• Morning.

Yesterday's lyrics were Bank Holiday by Blur.

Safe journey OH.

Was she pleased with you Alehouse?

Have a good race emzap.

Well, RHR is down but gunk production and glands are still well up. To be frank I'd be struggling to run 20 miles if it were VLM day.

What:         nothing
    Why:          see above
    Last hard:   counting the days until VLM
    Last rest:    29/3

Lyrics - familiar but can't name that tune.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • What: drive up to Edinburgh/Peebles and see the daughters
    Why: it's the end of the weekimage
    Last hard: a while ago
    Last rest: Tuesday
    Lyrics: no

Refreshed after a good week away. Severe case of CBA yesterday - sytayed back while Elspeth went for short run.

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Well let's just say I finished.  It was slow, but if you'd seen the course, it was definitely no pb possibility. I think 2:10ish when I was aiming for 1:55 so tells you how tough it was. Will write a longer report later.

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Morning gang!

emzap: sounds like hard work!

LMH: at lerast RHR is down. Hope you recover quickly.

what: something easy late
    why: HM to race on Monday
    last hard: Friday
    last rest: 25/3
    lyrics: yes!!

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning!

Lyrics: yes, probably because I am having to do this!

What: 55 mins brisk walk ending with 5 mins run

Why: being sensible after QofP yesterday. Yes, LMH, she was pleased but I need to work much harder on my ankles and hamstrings.

Beautiful day here: wind has largely dropped.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Morning

2kn swim d&d with 1500 TT

Gym work d&d

7 mile run d&d

Ale - God bless your patience. Mind you my own cant eb too bad after the six months or more I've had

LMH - you should know by now that its normal to feel shite leading up to the day (although the  yellow stuff is a bit of  worry. It'll clear up for M Day.

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Hello again.

So race report.  The race started at 6:10, so after a night of about 4 hours sleep due to a party in the neighbourhood that was shelling out very loud music, we rose at 4:45 and headed to the start.  The traffic to get there was terrible, but we were dropped off and made our way to our starting area.  Problem was there were 27000 people in a space that was probably good for about 15000 people, so we couldn't really move!  Meant I started by the 3 hour pacer when I was aiming for 2 hours.

And we were off.  After passing the start we had about 2 km where I was unable to run as there were just too many people.  I was passing people all the time, but it was slow going.  It was still dark and the pavements were very lumpy! Finally got going on the 1st hill which was from 27m to 150m.  Not too bad.  Kept a steady pace all the way up, and managed under 5 min km the whole way down the hill (I needed 5:41 min/km for a 2 hour time). 

Then the fun started.  Got to the bottom of the hill and we had a 180m climb over the next 7 km.  It was fine to start with, I ran steadily, with a good pace.  The came the parts where it was just too steep to run, so I started with walking for a few steps and then jogging.  Passed half way in an hour on the dot.  I could do 2 hours. The crowds were fantastic on these parts, brass bands, drummers, cheering etc.  However, it was incredibly tough.  So I got to the top.  Or so I thought.  We went down a nice downhill section, back to under 5 min/km.  Then it was uphill for another 4 km or so. Agh. I knew 3 of the final 5 km were downhill, so focussed on getting to the final 5 km with 25 mins to go.  However, I had the steepest and highest bit still to come and at that point I wasn't even sure if I was going to finish it!  Had 22 mins to do the final 5km.  It would have been a pb, and if the whole of the last 5km had been downhill I would have been ok.  Ran down the hill at a good pace, and had 10 mins to do the last 2 km.  I could have done it.  Then came the nasty uphill section.  I just couldn't do it.  I think my final chip time is around 2:12  I was naughty and walked in the final km, but I just couldn't push any more.  The sun was up and shining brightly by then and it was 24C, 35C hotter than I've been training in this winter.  Also though we were sheltered, a wind of 50 km/hr (25 knots). 

At the finish got to go to the international runners' tent, where I got free food and drinks.  All in all, apart from the start, the organisation of the race was fantastic and I'd definitely do it again (with revised finishing times!).  Oh and I've taken part in the largest ever road race in South Africa.  That's pretty cool right?

Oh and I know the lyrics image

Have a good day all.

• Send some sun emzap - we've had snow flurries again! Yes, that's cool - enjoy the rest of your holiday!

Paddy - not worried about the day itself (yet) but want that last long run and a better lead in than last year - when I was afflicted by another potent virus that threatened to scupper my race. The joys of a compromised immune system.

Alehouse - god for you getting out and getting it done. Glad that you're moving in the right direction albeit (I have no doubt) frustratingly slowly.

Race on Monday chickadeee?

• DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭

Great report emzap, sounds like a tough race - well done! image

Rest day for me today.

Lyrics - aye! image

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Great report, emzap. Those hills sound like hard work.

Easter Monday half marathon, LMH.

My 'easy' bit ended up as a 9 mile pyramid going easy/steady/MP/HMP/MP/steady/easy. Felt great image. Ended up doing 7mm HMP though. I must NOT do that on Monday image

• Nice work emzap.

LMH how about working off a 2 week taper.

10.59 commute run easy on tired legs. Tomorrow is a rest day for consuming chocolate etc.

• Experience tells me that I need the three weeks postie, I tend to carry a lot of fatigue with my medical conditions and usually need that long to be fresh.

Are you racing it for a time chickadeee?

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

evening all!
    Great report Emz, well done!

First track and field of the season for the kids, nothing like a bit of icy winds and snow flurries to welcome the 'summer' sport...PB for youngest in 150m and then in her main event (1km) managed 2nd, closing fast on the eventual winner. Big PB in that too.
    Eldest did the LJ, and despite very little training over the winter managed 3 solid jumps (all 4.50m+) and 4th place. Decent enough start to the T&F season.
    So left me with a little time for a 5 mile tempo (35.30)
    why - speed between two LSRs
    last rest - Thursday
    last hard - yesterday