North downs 30k run

Hi - I'm taking part in the North Downs 30k run in June and was wondering which training plan (I need to have a plan to work to!) to use/adopt. Should I use the half marathon plan and add a couple of miles to it or a full marathon plan scaled down by a couple of miles - I know the 30k is hilly so need to prepare for that too. Any advice on how to tackle this greatly appreciated. image

Comments

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Hmmm... six of one, half a dozen of the other IMO. I've done this race, it's a cracker BTW! Distance-wise it's almost split down the middle between a HM and full marathon, but the difficulty of the course probably gets it closer to marathon in terms of prep required.  Whichever you decide, I would aim to get the long run up to at least 16 - 18 miles, preferably with some hills thrown in.  Also, besides the ups and downs, one of the most demanding aspects of the race is the running surface.  It's predominantly off-road, and a real mix of rutted fields and chalky downs, so get as much off-road running in as possible.

Enjoy the race, probably the most scenic I've done.  The poppy fields are amazing!

• Kim DKim D ✭✭
    Many thanks Phil - you've confirmed what I was thinking but nice to hear it from someone who has experienced it for themselves. Heard about the scenery and really looking forward to the run. Now to find some nice off-road hills at my Mums in Sheffield - shouldn't be too hard to find!

Thanks again.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭

hi guys, I am doing this Sunday.  Phil can I ask you what shoes you think are best?  I have read road shoes are ok, but reading your description I am wondering?

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

The year I did it, it was hot and dry.  I was perfectly happy in road shoes, and I'm not sure whether trail shoes would've offered that much of an advantage besides a little more stability in rutted fields.  On the other hand it looks like it could be a wet one, and I don't really know how muddy the course could get.  I'd have to defer judgment to anyone that's run it in bad conditions, but my guess is it wouldn't be an absolute bog-fest and you should be able to get away with road shoes.