How fast do you run?

Comments

• oiyouoiyou ✭✭✭
    Murf - don't fret on it - it'll happen. I've only done one 10miler, Canterbury Jan 2002, and since then I've run 3 halfs (halves?) and each time I've gone through 10miles faster. Windsor was a tough run, by general concensus - a smaller event (where it's just not as crowded) is a much better place to judge your improvements
  • A bit under 9-minute miles in the 5-mile and 10K races I've done recently.
    9:30-10:00 minute miles over up to 11 miles on fairly undulant training routes.
    13:37 minute miles, detrained and mildly injured, in the only marathon I've done so far.
    Up to 8 minute miles over distances up to a third of a mile in interval training.
    Was able to do 6:40 minute miles over short distances before I got injured in January. So still a bit of potential to improve.
    Don't care. I can RUN!
  • I run anything from sub-7 minute miles when running short distance (by that I mean anything from a mile to 1.5 miles), to 10-minute miles for recovery runs, which I have to consciously force myself to run s-l-o-w-l-y in order that I don't belt off and do a "recovery" run of 7:30!
  • With you on that V-rap, not fast but I enjoy it.

Best I have managed this year is probably 7.30 m/mile on a 3.5 miler & that nearly killed me. Average between 8.30 & 10.00 normally. I am resigned to the fact that I will never be a super fast runner but I have other goals (ie three peaks, Tough Guy etc.)
  • Fiona MFiona M ✭✭✭
    Ooh, this is a scary thread. But also to give heart to others (as Village Runner said), here goes:

10-minute miles if it's only for 2 miles max with a big effort and a walk break half way, more like 11+ minutes a mile over any longer (and I don't do over 5k distance yet!!). Ah well, the only way is up ;-).
  • Just worked out that I ran 9.30 min miles at Windsor - I'm really impressed with myself! I think that's good for me (compared to the rest of the UK population!) Don't be shy Village Runner and Fiona G - the great thing about running is that the competition is really only with yourself - I don't mind that Drew ad friends run like lightning (respec') nor do I feel I can relax just because I'm not the slowest. I just want to get better and improve MY time.

I had a strange experience at Windsor and I'm almost convinced that I ranthe first 3 miles at 7.00 - 7.30 a mile but as Venom pointed out I was probably hallucinating.

Slow or fast, yesterday an old guy stopped his car by me and said "You're a fast runner aren't you", maybe he just wanted to get in my trainers but I was very pleased - that's the kind of heckle you get out on deserted country lanes. Then Daisy started to growl and ruined a blossoming friendship...

Happy speeding
  • drewdrew ✭✭✭
    Just checked my training log which I started using 2 months after I started running in 1999. At that point I was doing my easy runs at between 10 & 11 min mile pace and my hard sessions at about 8 min mile pace. At that time I just couldn't imagine myself ever running at 7 min mile pace during a race let alone during a training run.

• BarklesBarkles ✭✭✭
    Thanks Drew' There's hope then.
  • So you ran like a mere mortal at one time Drew ? Wow, I MUST start doing some speed work sometime.
  • Yeah, do - it hurts to start with (well it did for me - and still does). I followed the RW guide a few months back and it reduced my time at the Vyrnwy half by 8 mins.
  • thanks nick for the response good luck to you too, best wishes
  • Brunswick I don't feel so bad about my 75 min 10k now, it takes me 3/4 miles to settle in whenever I go out for a run, maybe I should stick to HM's unless anyone has any ideas on some sort of training to get over this.
  • Wicked Witch,
    Sounds like you're just naturally more suited to longer distances too which I think(although I am a bit biased here)gives your running a dimension the sprinters lack. Anyone can run as fast as possible for a short period, there's no skill in that, it's just strength. It is more of a challenge when you introduce the tactical skills required to plan a long distance race strategy and the mental toughness / agility to carry it through, deal with any problems encountered along the way and adjust the strategy as necessary and above all, force yourself on when others would give up. Any Marathon runner could run flat out for 100 or 200 metres, how many sprinters could run a Marathon?

Have you tried a full Marathon yet? If you're doing well in 1/2 Marathons and haven't tried the full distance yet, it would be a worthwhile exercise. Adopting the Maraton as my primary event is the best running decision I ever made.
  • Brunswick, I did the GNR in 2000 in 2hrs 19 mins as my first HM, and have done very little serious running since until May this year, now I am hooked, I am doing my second 10km this weekend, hoping for a better time, a HM in January, and am thinking of either Ironbridge or Coniston, and have applied for FLM.
  • here is something which may be of interest to you all regarding getting faster.
    I started running about 4 years ago and found I could happily train at 8/min/mile pace (10K pb 41 mins), then I moved to a very hilly part of Scotland and all my training involved running up hills, I did the same type and length of training but after 18 months of living here I got my 10K pb down to 37 mins.
    I found I had gained a lot of strength but this was achieved without speedwork (who wants to run up a hill fast?), I know it has been said that hills are speedwork in disguise but I think this is probably true.

• W/Witch, London is a good choice for any first time Marathon runner (if you can get in!). The combination of excellent crowd support and running with many others runners new to the Marathon who can draw inspiration from each other makes London an enjoyable experience to kick off a Marathon running career, or just as a one off Marathon. London's not my favourite Marathon by a long way, but I don't regret choosing it for my first.

How did you find the GNR? I don't have any great desire to run it because the number of runners is getting silly. 30 odd thousand people in a half marathon is just too many and doesn't seem to offer much opportunity for either comfortable running conditions or a serious crack at a fast time. How much of a problem was overcrowding?
  • I reckon I'm built for distance not speed . I've managed to increase my pace from 9.5 min/mile to just under 9 min/mile over half marathon distance but I reckon I'm going to struggle to get any quicker. Who knows though? I'm going to try and do some more speedwork and hill training so maybe that will help.
  • I like a good confessional, so here goes:

13kph for 5km
    12.5kph for 10km
    12kph for 1/2 Marathon
    11.5kph for full marathon (but that's an old figure - 1995). I'll be doing Paris this spring with any luck, so there's a chance I might have to update that.

In training I do short (up to 800 Metres) intervals at 14kph and long ones (up to 2000 Metres) at 13kph, but I'm looking to improve on that in my next training cycle.

Cheers

Peter
  • Just out of interest...

Are there any others of you struggling, like me, with the onset of old(er) age. At 56 I'm finding it increasingly difficult to maintain speed. I know they say you should do more speed work, but I find this to be self defeating as it either wears me out or causes an injury.

So recently I've just settled for telling people I'm aiming to keep my 10km time less than my age.

Cheers again

Peter
  • I wish speedwork didn't work as it's the only part of Marathon training I really dislike but unfortunately it does help. I have only recently adopted it to any effective degree, and it is already making a difference. If I achieve my target at Frankfurt, it will mean that my personal best time has come down by 39 minutes in the space of three Marathon. Extra distance has helped, but I don't think it's coincidence that the improvement has accelerated since taking up speedwork so it looks like I'll have to keep it up.
  • In view of whats been posted, am I going to get more benefit from: a hilly 4 mile run or 400m intervals on a track, in relation to getting faster.

Brunswick I really enjoyed the GNR as my first big race it was amazing, it is a great run and it seems the majority of runners do it at least once, but not if you're trying to better a PB.
  • WW - I'd def do the speedwork. Yes I know it hurts, I wish it didn't, but it is effective as it will lift your pace. And on a longer run it shows more! Peter, can you translate kilometers and kilometers per hour - sorry but it doesn't mean much to me.
  • Be careful folks. I've attempted speed work twice in the last 10 months and on both occassions I've been struck down with injury within three weeks. It could be a coincidence, but I think doing speedwork too hard cost me my place in this year's London marathon and has also caused my current layoff.

My favourite Bob Glover quote is now: "Perhaps the single greatest cause of improvement among runners is remaining injury-free long enough to attain consistent training."

Injury sucks!

Neil
  • >I think doing speedwork too hard cost me my
    >place in this year's London marathon and has
    >also caused my current layoff.

Yup. I've made the same mistake. Speedwork should be hard, but should not leave you gasping (and/or vomiting) - at least not if you are approaching my advancing years.

The idea is to get your body used to running faster than normal. So it doesn't have to be a *lot* faster than normal to be effective.

Cheers

Peter
  • 5k - 7:30 min mile
    5M - 8:00 min mile
    10k - 8:15 min mile
    10M - 8:30 min mile

Some of you are damn fast!!
  • Caz, that sounds bl**dy fast to me - my 5K pace is the same as your 10M pace....I do my speedwork at that pace (yuk I hate speedwork) and it's not pretty....

I'm procrastinating madly today - planned to do speedwork this morning but I'm sitting here in my kit thinking I might have more energy if I leave it till a couple of hours after lunch.....
  • How about a gentle warm-up jog now AND speedwork later?
  • Just eaten lunch now! Remind me at 2ish...