How fast do you run?

124»

Comments

• I do laps of 1.5 miles each. It's not ideal to run laps, but it ensures that I have a clear run with no roads to cross or other obstacles.
  • No, on roads running around an area of open land. There aren't many pedestrians and the three road junctions on the lap are all left turns for me so they are not a problem.
  • Good thinking B - I'm just off to try it out.
  • I might have a go at that. it sounds mentally manageable.

Our club have some use of a local grass track and on the Thursday before the Sunday I ran a half marathon (road) we had a track session which involved 1200 metres at 10k pace (actually I only have one pace, but I didn't tell anybody that!!!) then 400 metres easy. We did it 4 times. During the last miles of the half marathon, when I started to get tired, I found that I think myself back into the feeling that I'd had during the 1200 metre sections and actually be going quite briskly. I was impressed.
  • I do most of my shorter (i.e. 5-6 mile) runs at somewhere between 10k and HM pace (9-10min/mile) depending on how I'm feeling - I got those paces from the RW training schedule for the autumn HMs, based on my best 10k time. That and short interval speedwork (about 8min/mile pace) seems to work for me - I've felt my running 'lift' over the last couple of months. Will try the 10min faster intervals - I don't think I could keep anything over 9min/mile pace up for that long though, I certainly couldn't manage 8min/mile pace! Brunswick - what pace do you do yours at (5k, 10k, HM?)
  • For the 10 minute fast intervals I aim for just under 7 min/miles.
  • I can't keep up that pace for long, I've never run an entire race of any distance at that pace yet, but these short bursts at around 7:00/mile is gradually extending the time I can maintain that - and what would once have been a challenging race pace now seems quite easy. This time last year I would have been happy to run a 10 mile race or half marathon at 8 minute mile pace, now I view 7:30/mile as a reasonable target.
  • BLimey, I've never tried 7min/miles - it's about all I can do to keep up 8min/mile pace for 400m! I guess from your post that this is your 10k pace or thereabouts; so my 10k pace of 9min/miles would be OK to aim at for fast 10minute intervals.....
  • Well I'm off for a run now so I'll give this a try.....over and out!
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Brunswick - I too do longer intervals, however it depends on my race goal.I note that you run quicker over distance, I prefer halfM races and longer but that doesn't mean I don't try to lower my 10km times into the bargain.
    My shortest reps are 400m at around 10mph (6min/miling) but given I tend to focus primarily on HalfM and Marathon goals I do mainly 6-8*800m at 6-6.20/m/miling, 4*1km at 4min/km , 4*1mile at 6m30 and 3*2km at 4min/km.- I know some of this is in metric.

I also find race tempo runs a huge benefit.In the build up to halfMs I'll run up to 8miles (10miles if there is a suitable race) at race pace or quicker :sub 7min/miling.This has the knock on effect of improving my 'shorter' distance speeds .

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Sorry , to carry on from before, I therefore sometimes 'use' 10ks as pace races and try to maintain around 6m45 miling- usually jogging for 5-10 minutes beforehand to warm up, rather than wasting the early part of the 10k event itself.

Good to exchange ideas tho'
  • Dustin, would agree with you on the relative importance of 10km races. My 10km race pace never comes into the equation as it is the lowest of priorities - it's consistent speed at 10 miles and upwards I am looking for and arrange all my training to achieve that goal. If my 10km pace improves as well it's nice, but it's not important.
  • PB - I guess whether it's good or not depends on whether you feel good and whether you're happy with your running! If so I'd say don't change it :-) You can't be doing that bad if you've kept it up for 10 years.....

Me, I only started running at different paces when I started the RW training schedule for the autumn HMs - I did Windsor on 29 Sep, and as it was my first HM I wanted to make sure I got round OK. Before that I used to run for 40-45 minutes, at whatever pace felt comfortable depending on weather, mood and tiredness....but I found that following the training schedule really helped my running, so I'm going to keep trying to include a speedwork session every week at least.
  • I tried the longer speedwork today and whilst it'll take a bit of getting used to I found it much less 'interrupted' than running for say 400m, which I've done in the past. I was surprised that I didn't tire as quickly as I thought I would - I was doing about a 7 min mile - and felt energised at the end of it, ready for a dismally dull afternoon!!
  • I did the recent Robin Hood Marathon and despite having good times for half marathons (1h 30ish)and every other distance, including a usual 5:40 to 6:30 for race miling, I did the last 6 miles of the 'big one' in about 90 mins! Yes, I was dying, and couldn't even attempt a fast walk!
    Do more speedwork with longer runs at a fast tempo, and your race/mile times will increase.
  • I know that feeling well. The main reason I started extended speedwork was because I was fed up of just hanging on over the last 6 miles. Even if the final time is good, really suffering over the last few miles still detracts from the overall enjoyment of the race. I find it far more satisfying to be able to be to push hard near the end and attack the course rather than merely surviving it. It's easy to think that "negative split" Marathons are the preserve of the elite, but it is something anyone can benefit from, and it is something anyone can do if they're prepared to put in the work beforehand. On the day, the hard work is definitely worth it.