At Last...! Commonsense is found....

Comments

• I think if airlines want to charge for combined weight of passenger and luggage that's fine but they should be compelled to publish for each flight what the total payload is as a proportion of the maximum takeoff weight. That way you can see exactly what the total revenue is for each flight and make decisions on who to travel with based on their per kilo pricing structure.

My guess is that this is a way to increase overall revenue, not to redistribute the cost of travel based on weight.

On the other hand, could just be a publicity stunt.

• gingerfurball wrote (see)
    http://www.socialsmiling.com/image/asset/1523_if-a-747-can-carry-the-space-shuttle-i-call-bullshit-on-overweight-luggage-fees_512-508.jpg

A 747 can carry a hell of a lot of weight but it needs more fuel to fly heavy. More fuel = more cost, it's why there's a charge for excess baggage. 

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Ironically I've been on a Ryan Air flight where they put TOO MUCH fuel in the plane, so to compensate they left my luggage at Stansted.  Feckin' eejits!!

• What happens if you go on holuday and put on half a stone...as tickets are paid in advance would you have to stand on a scale and pay "excess baggage" on the way  back?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Fat Buddha seems one of the few on here who has pointed out the obvious point. That extra weight doesn't necessarily mean you're some out of control binge slob. You might just be tall, male or muscular.

I'm sure if this was introduced over here, some hot shot lawyers would get on it, and start bandying terms like "human rights", "sexism", "discrimination" around.

It'd also be a ridiculous thin end of the wedge, would you start charging more for other transport?After all, all transport uses more fuel if there's more weight on board, not just planes.

I guess one thing that certainly would be lost, is the scam of wearing stacks of layers when you go on the plane, so it doesn't weigh heavy in your luggage allowance image

• Are they going to have a size guide cage for you to climb into like the cabin bag guage?

Does the effect on fuel make any difference if you're short and wide or tall and lean weight wise?

• It's an interesting question with some interesting parallels.

For instance, insurance companies "used" to price based on gender and age because young men crash cars more often than women. Gender discrimination has now been outlawed, but should age discrimination or gender discrimination be outlawed when they are pricing for risk, supported by demonstrable facts and data?

Whenever you apply for a credit card they will charge you an apr based on your credit risk. Is that discrimination? Why should a low risk person pay a higher price because prices are no longer set because of risk.

And so with weight. Are there circumstances where physical data and phenomena demand specific tailored treatments - some pay more and some pay less - rather than "one size fits all"?

The business person would say yes. The equality minded person would say no. And there's the rub. It is somewhat of a political question at the end of the day.
  • Stop it KK. talking about your smalls...

Chaps (and chapessses) visualising the differences - it's enough to throw one off course.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I read somewhere that everything is designed around an average height of 5' 5". Well that's below average for a guy but covers the vast majority of women and children.

When you add up the numbers, once you get to 5' 8" tall you are already finding your feet dangling off the end of the bed. Those well over 6 foot tall find most situations a bit cramped.

Airlines operate to the averages so luckily enabling someone like myself to sprawl out in an economy seat. 22 hours no problem.image

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Maybe instead of measuring it on weight, they could do it on BMI to charge the fatties more.

But then you'd have the "muscular" types  saying their BMI is skewed. So there's no easy way.

If you're so fat you take up 2 seats though, what happens then? Apart from the unlucky person next to you being squashed?

• Stevie G . wrote (see)

Maybe instead of measuring it on weight, they could do it on BMI to charge the fatties more.

But then you'd have the "muscular" types  saying their BMI is skewed. So there's no easy way.

If you're so fat you take up 2 seats though, what happens then? Apart from the unlucky person next to you being squashed?

Well then Seren is right. If you are larger and pay more you get a wider seat and don't impose yourself on others..

You shouldn't just pay more to get abuse off your neighbour for having the same size seat.

• CindersCinders ✭✭✭

Do they have wider seats? I've never seen any.  How does paying for 2 seats work, does the person sit on the arm rest in the middle??? image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Cinders wrote (see)

Do they have wider seats? I've never seen any.  How does paying for 2 seats work, does the person sit on the arm rest in the middle??? image

They tend to sit with the arm rest lodged up their rectum, and the rest of their mass just fills the other 2 seats, a bit like jelly filling a bowl.

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

Armrests between aircraft seats can often be raised and pushed up between the two seats.

Although you'd sit in one seat, your body would not be being squeezed by the armrest.

Some airlines are already charging obese people for two seats, so that they have an empty one next to them - less for their comfort than so that no-one gets squashed sitting next to them.

I believe someone managed to sue an airline for injuries caused by a very fat person sitting next to, and partially on, them.

Here you go

• Stevie G . wrote (see)

Fat Buddha seems one of the few on here who has pointed out the obvious point. That extra weight doesn't necessarily mean you're some out of control binge slob. You might just be tall, male or muscular.

It'd also be a ridiculous thin end of the wedge, would you start charging more for other transport?After all, all transport uses more fuel if there's more weight on board, not just planes.

It's got nothing to do with how fat you are, as RicF has pointed out, every average and above sized man would be penalised, but that's fine, it's a fairer system.

When you send a parcel you pay by weight, to account for fuel, this is no different.

Besides it should also appease the greenies, people might stuff a few less cakes in their mouths before they go on holiday, making the plane lighter, causing less polution.

• Great plan and on the weight issue if you're big through eating or big through build, it doen't matter, it costs more to get you from A to B so pay up. Fair policy

• isn't there a difference if the big person stays completely mtionless compared to them fidgetting around and walking up and down the plane....

it takes less ebnergy to transport something that uis completely still than something moving.....

so maybe they could charge according to how much someone moves...

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Sounds like a plan devised by a retard to be honest. Plus cost wise the cost of implementing it would be offset against any possible gains on income. Cost of weighing customers at check-in. Longer check-in times and staffing costs to add this. Refund/surcharge if weight is not as customer entered on booking.

That and fuel isn't that big a factor in the overall ticket cost. Go look at a breakdown of your last air fare. The primary cost impact is taxation. If the cost = weight * fuel metric was applied you'd be causing all sorts of extra delays and staffing issues for the sake of a few quid!

• If theyre going to charge based on weight, next time I fly I'll be asking them to rip out any unfilled seats, get rid of the TV's. Air hostesses; no thanks just do a buffet and who needs 3 people in the cockpit!

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Fuel * weight per passenger would be very minor in the overall ticket cost. Fuel * per passenger cost isn't a huge factor in the cost of a ticket. You'd be introducing a system that requires a massive financial overhead to implement. All it would do is increase ticket costs for all, no matter their weight.

1. A botched online check-in. You'd need to have a "people weight" system similar to baggage drop off system. That would cost in machines to calculate the fees. It would cost in staff to cover the volume of people having to do this. Remember the online check-in and baggage drop system was introduced as much for reducing staff costs at check-in as it is for passenger benefit. You've just increased the ticket price for all.

2. The system would only generate a few pounds at most per person in savings or extra fees if the cost was related to the cost of fuel.

3. The system introduces further passenger queues. Just what air travel needs. Save a fiver, wait an extra 45 minutes in queues!

4. Rebate/fee system. You book a ticket six months in advance and enter your weight. At check-in you weigh more or less. You have to wait and process the fee or rebate as appropriate. Once again lengthening check-in time or increasing staffing costs to get people through in a timely manner.

5. On return you'd need to be weighed again. Maybe you pigged out on your trip, or lost weight after a dose of Delhi belly!

6. It doesn't resolve the issue people here are complaining about of an obese person crushing into them, as it measures weight to cost not size to seat width.

It's a moronic idea with no practical application. The only application this serves is fatty bashing for idiots on the internet.

• and you would get people stripping down to their undies and having an extra wee before weighing

• "It's a moronic idea with no practical application. The only application this serves is fatty bashing for idiots on the internet."

about the most sensible thing that's been said about this whole idea.   there are too many holes in the proposal for it to work but undoubtedly it will be tried and then put to rest.

• Nice bit of publicity for the airline concerned as well.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    fat buddha wrote (see)

"It's a moronic idea with no practical application. The only application this serves is fatty bashing for idiots on the internet."

about the most sensible thing that's been said about this whole idea.   there are too many holes in the proposal for it to work but undoubtedly it will be tried and then put to rest.

I agree (and I weigh about 70% of what I used to!)  Weighing people at airports like jockeys after a race?  Can't see it myself.

• Do you think they weigh you at the airport?

When I was on holiday in Indonesia a few years ago, the tiny little airlines with propeller planes had you jump on the scales with your luggage so they could calculate how much fuel they needed for the plane image