How to fix my glutes/knee?!

Hi all!

I've made a couple of stupid running mistakes recently, and am trying to get back on track. Would really appreciate some guidance!

I did my first half marathon a month ago on a bad knee - after about 5 miles it really hurt to the point where I couldn't put weight on it for a while. I (stupidly) soldiered on through the pain, sometimes running with a straight leg (especially down hill), but by the end my hip/glutes were really hurting - I guess they were taking the strain that my knee couldn't!!

So now I'm left with sore glutes (tender to the touch), and a knee that keeps hurting if I even slightly twist it. I've not been running since as I don't want to make it worse, but I'm at a loss at what to do about it....do I stretch? If so, how? Or do I strengthen? Buy new shoes?

Help!!!

Comments

• OK, never mind then. I will keep stretching and hope for the best.... image

• Hiya,

I have a simular problem tight hip/groin area which has really affected my knee.

I'm seeing a physio who says I have tight hip flexors, weak medial glutes which has now caused ligament inflammation on my knee.

I'm doing hip flexor stretchs three times a day (have a look on youtube) and to strengthen the glutes I have a Band (think yoga) that I put around my ankles and push my leg out - might have to look up that as well my description is useless!

Hope that helps

Katy