WDW Dopey Challenge...

Comments

• I'm in for the Dopey as well.  Did Goofy last year, so might as well give this a go!  Then some relaxing. Staying at the Grand Floridian.

• We've come up with an excellent plan for the Sunday evening. It might not sound excellent at first, but stay with me on this one...

...drinking around the world in Epcot!

http://www.easywdw.com/adults/drink-around-the-world-at-epcot-world-showcase-disney-world/

Ok, so its not particularly sensible, but neither is running 4 races in 4 days!

• At least you'll have two good reasons that you cannot stand up Gazza! 

• Course maps, Waivers and corral placement lists are up at http://www.rundisney.com/disneyworld-marathon/

I knew I should have done another half to get a better time than the (rather un-awesome) 2:21 I did at Silverstone.  I've ended up in Corral L.

It's starting to get very close.  Four weeks from now and we'll be at the Expo image

Dopey #34725

• Not sure how they place people as my hubby's evidenced half was 1,54 and he is in k with me who had a 2.04 - not that it makes much difference.  Getting close now !! 

• Similar thing for me MM. My evidenced marathon was 3:40 and Im in the corral behind my friend who submitted a 4:15 marathon. Its not a big deal as neither of us will be going for any kind of records, but just seems a bit odd.

Does anybody know if the marshalls mind people going back a corral? We had planned to run all 4 races together. We tried doing the 'I'll go slow, you go quick' approach in Tokyo last year, but royally messed it up and didnt find each other til about the 10 mile mark (he overtook me without either of us noticing, I continued to go slowly, and eventually found him over a mile in front of me at one of the switchbacks!). Would like to avoid that again if at all possible!

• Going back in the corrals is no problem at all.  Corral control is pretty loose there actually.  You walk from the bus drop off for about 10-15 minutes in a huge mass of people to get to the starting corrals - they cannot police that many people at once.  So they give you general direction but not strict control.

• Final instructions are out now too.

It seems that we will be getting a wristband at the end of each race to prove that we completed.  I had read that they were giving the goofy last year to anyone who finished the full, and rumour was that some didn't even do the half.

• Bullit,

yes, the was no verification that the Half was completed, or even started, last year.  it appears that they have a good system this year to verify each prior race was completed. 

Last long run run today, then the taper begins image

• I can barely remember my own name at the end of most races, so remembering to visit the Dopey tent to get a wristband after each one could be a challenge in itself. I think Im going to the 4pm Dopey speaker session at the Expo on the Wednesday. It could be full of very useful tips, as Im really not sure how to approach the races with regards to pacing during the races and nutrition between the races.

One last long run this week, then taper. Training has somehow managed to go right off the rails in December (its difficult to fit everything in!!), to the extent that Im considering running on Christmas Day AND Boxing Day. I'll be largely counting on residual fitness from the triathlon season to see me through this!

I hope everybodys training has gone well and that we'll all be fighting fit and raring to go in little over 2 weeks time.

• gazza, i would say take it easy, enjoy the atmosphere of the races and take your camera along for the run. Stopping at a few of the characters for photos is a great way to slow down your pace and have loads more funimage

Enjoy, very envious of you this year....

• Taking my Xmas pudding belly out for a few miles today for the first time for a week. This is not going to be pretty but it's time to get back on track. Not long now imageimage

• A particularly nasty dose of Christmas manflu has seen me drop nearly 7lb since Monday morning, and has effectively ended my training. Might fit in a small run next week but we'll have to see how things go. It's early nights and Lemsips all the way til we fly out to Orlando now. I must be the only person in Britain to lose weight over Christmas!! image

• I joked about the pudding belly but wouldn't swap with you gazza81. Look after yourself and concentrate on building yourself up.  Take care - hope you feel better soon x 

• It's starting to look like a hot one.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/orlando-fl/32801/january-weather/328169?monyr=1/1/2014&view=table

I've been keeping an eye on this for weeks, and up until yesterday it was saying high teens (at high point / noon).  But mid - high twenties !

Obviuosly it could all change in over a week, and we should be finishing 3/4 of the races before the heat really kicks in, but that Marathon has just got a tiny bit more daunting.

At least the rest of my holiday should be GLORIOUS image

• I tried a different source to Bullit just to see if there was any difference of opinion amongst forecasters (basically some respite) but no, they seem to be saying the same thing on the Weather Channel too.

http://uk.weather.com/weather/10day-USFL0372:1:US

Have you noticed how its reasonably comfortable on most days before the races (between 16 and 20 degrees), and then the day they start it suddenly jumps to 26 and 27?

• Heading out from Gatwick tomorrow, slight niggle in my knee since last long run, but I'm not letting that spoil it for me. Hopefully see some of you out there, and Gazza, I'll keep an eye out for you in the pool Sunday with that big pizza. Good luck everyone, enjoy! 

• /members/images/15901/Gallery/Forum.jpg

Nearly here!  So I just had to go to Epcot yesterday (Mon) to see the "Car park" image

Very cold today, but still supposed to be hot,hot,hot by the weekend. 

Safe flights everyone, and remember to leave room in the suitcase for all the swag (and souvenirs).

• Hi all, when does the running start, would be very interested to hear how it all goes. Thanks.

• Hi Sully, we started Thursday morning and have completed the 5, 10 and half this morning. Now resting up ready for the big day tomorrow. Has been an amazing experience, exactly what you would expect from Disney. Not an event for a serious runner, but if you aren't looking for a fast time and just want to enjoy the Disney experience I can't recommend it highly enough. Needs to be on everyone's bucket list!
  • Indeed.  Todays half was almost my worst, although that could be down to running twice already.  I did push yesterdays 10k a bit more than necessary as I wanted a time for Dumbo.

But, all in all, it's been brilliant so far. As BST said, resting now for the final 26.2.  Tomorrow will be slow with a LOT of picture taking.

• Great to hear, good luck with the marathon tomorrow and then you can rest those aching limbs.

• It's a bit late, but all done.  The weather for the Marathon was perfect, and I had a brilliant race, even if it did turn out a bit slower than I'd wished for.

Forgot to change the battery in the camera though.  Luckily they had MarathonFoto people at most of the character spots, and as I will probably be getting their pics, I still stopped for a few, including Dopey just before World Showcase in Epcot.

And today I went to Magic Kingdom wearing my "I did it!" shirt and Dopey medal, the rest were in my pockets.  There were a lot out there proudly displaying their own accomplishments.  Unfortunately I couldn't find Dopey.  I'll probably give it another go later in the week.

• I have found that all the pictures taken 'on course' are up on the marathonfoto site already, but the ones where I stopped to have them taken with characters are not on there. I stopped with about 4-5 different ones so it can't be that my number is not visible on them all??? Anybody else having this problem?

• Wow! What an event! Congrats to all fellow Dopeys. The conditions for the 10km and half-mara were tough. Thankfully the weather gods were kinder to us for the marathon. I cant imagine having to do 26.2 miles in the conditions of the previous 2 days.

I havent had any problems with the character photos Tel, but I dont have any photos for the 5km at all. I guess its possible that Im not in any in a 3 mile race though.

For the record, we did have the large pepperoni pizza AND the beer after the marathon, but they wouldnt let me have them in the pool so we had to sit at a table near the pool. That still counts though! Then completed the "Around the world drinking" in Epcot on Monday. A successful 5 days!

• The runner I went with hasn't got any 5k photos either, despite looking through all the unassigned ones too. Glad it is not just him.

We did the round the world drinking too, thank goodness I had packed some nurofen!

Well done to everyone, I wasn't running due to injury but was a vocal supporter!
  • Well, I've just signed up for Dumbo.  If I'm going to do this, I might as well go all in and go for the Coast to Coast.

Admittedly that was the plan from the start, but you never know how things will turn out, after all the Dumbo sold out in something like 6 hours last year.

No 5k photos here either, so I may just have to get the other three races, as the "deadline" is the end of the week.  Not that I particularly like the pictures of me (never feel too photogenic), but there are a couple I do like and for the price you may aswell buy the lot.

• Apparently RunDisney.com has gone mental with all the people who want to do Disneyland.  I suppose the lack of pre-entry at the expo might have had an effect.

They have put a direct link to Active on their twitter. But to be honest, if you haven't been looking, you are probably too late already.  They say DDD is 95% already.

• I emailed the marathon photo people about our 5k photos and they very promptly sorted it out and I now have my photos for it image

• Quick query... Has anyone been to Disneyland (California) and run one of their half marathons?  Do you have any suggestions as to where to stay and what to see?

Congrats to Bullit, Gazza81 and everyone else who completed the Dopey - I joined you on the marathon (my first ever) and had a wonderful time!  I have signed up for the half in August to try and get my Coast to Coast.